malic acid and fms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by romalaw, Apr 6, 2007.

1. romalaw

romalaw Member

I'm pretty new to this board but haven't seen any discussion about the benefits of malic acid and magnesium for fms. I have taken it routinely for 8 years and it works wonders for muscle pain. Just thought I'd mention it in case in can be helpful to anyone.
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I was taking that a few yrs ago. a combo of both in one tablet.
    After I ran out I've since only been taking Magnesium alone. The benifits are'nt the same thats for sure.

How much of each do you take daily?

I'll need to buy some malic acid.

Thanks for the reminder :)
    Tandy
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I was taking this for quite awhile.

Unfortunatly I stopped taking it becuase it was getting quite expensive. I was buying it at Wild Oats.

At first I wasnt sure if it really helped...then I stopped taking it and I really noticed a difference in the pain.

Ive also used Magnesium...specifically CalMax at bedtime before I started seeing my Rheumy and was put on Zanaflex. It worked great as a natural muscle relaxer and it helped to calm me.

Steph
  4. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

I went to buy some magnesium at my health shop & pondered on getting it with Malic acid. The manager asked if I was eating apples. I said I was juicing a lot. He said that's great as you'll get your malic acid there so take the magnesium at the same time.

He went into a lot of detail on receptors, cells and enzymes but I got all foggy and couldn't remember anything after I left!
  5. romalaw

romalaw Member

I take 800 mg a day. I've stopped it several times, thnking I could do without it, but I really notice the difference in the level of pain w/o it. I've tried so many supplements that don't work, but this one really does work for me.
  6. romalaw

romalaw Member

I eat apples too, but I don't know how many apples one would have to eat to get a high enough dosage of malic acid
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I take the wonderful Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid that they sell here at Pro Health and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Also, taking a balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement that has taken away almost all of my muscle pain.

If you do a search for either of these topics, you'll find plenty to read about.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

back up top for others~

and Thank you Romalaw~
    do you think its something noticed right off,.... or does it take time to feel the benifits.??

(sometimes the difference is so mild,... untill we stop. Then we really feel it!)

Hugs
    Tandy
  9. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

when I take magnesium/malic acid. Within the hour I feel alot more relaxed, even sleepy at times. That's why I take it at night as a sleep aid.
  10. romalaw

romalaw Member

Well, I know when I stop taking it, I can feel the effect within a couple of days.

When starting it, I really can't remember but I think I could feel the difference within a week Hope that's helpful.
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks again.
    will be adding that to my grocery list this week.
    (walmart here I come) :)
  12. roge

roge Member

didnt know but it is also a heavy metal chelator (especially aluminum) and I was very high on aluminum back in late 90's hair test), so might be have a bonus effect for me in addition to helping with the muscle pain. used it in lare 90's for a while but stopped and starting it up again in last few days.

looks like there is around 300-500mg of maclic acid in 1 apple, actually more than I tought there would be

peace