MALIC ACID...... dosage? anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, May 10, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Has anyone had any reactions from taking too much malic acid? How much was too much for you?

How would I know it's too much? What might it do to me?

I just started taking it again at bedtime, and seem to wake up feeling better and more clear headed. I took another one this morning, and wonder if a third in the afternoon would be too much. I can't remember the dosage (I'm at work...) but maybe 800mg? not sure.

I read about a study with malic acid and fibro, and they gave the study participants up to 2400mg a day. Seems like a lot, but what the heck do I know???

Thanks,
    Beth.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I use to take 1,200 mg a day. I have I.C.( bladder pain) so I have to watch anything to acidic so I could not go higher.

But malic acid comes from apples is harmless, maybe stomacch upset, but nothing serious. i wouldstart maybe 600 mg, onceor twice a day for about 2 to 4 weeks and see if you feel better. If not then increase.

Obviously if you have upset stomach, or other side effect's( again nothing serious) just cut back.

best wishes,

claudia
  3. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I was at the holistic clinic today and asked about malic acid. She told me it was recommended to take 1000 to 2000 mg per day.

Linda
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

good info, I appreciate it.

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. Tinkrbel

Tinkrbel New Member

I asked this question last night and NO one got back to me.

Tell me what tricks I have to do to ask a question on the board and maybe get an answer.

Thanks.
  6. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I take malic acid and magnesium combo. I take 3 tablets in the morning and then if I start dragging in the afternoon I take 1 more. The only problem I had was when I took the malic acid by itself I got indigestion. Someone had told me to try the Magnesim Malate which is the combo and I haven't had the problem since.

One of the Moderators posted about how to get your messages answered. I just saw it toward the top so you might want to check it out.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, Claudia or any knowledgable person,

I am just guessing since this is made from apples that it would be safe to take with prescription meds. Let me know if you have heard anything otherwise. I was just dxed after 20 years of suffereing and now looking for somekind of help.

I go back in another week and 1/2 to see my Rheumy to see what she wants to try next. I just started on a generic Flexeril at night for sleep not sure if it is helping very much though. I usually can go back after getting up again to go to the bathroom.

Sorry if I got off the track. I think I tried Malic acid and Mg many years ago and not sure it helped much. However, I very well might not been taking enough.

Thanks alot for allyour help already !

Blessings,

Marilyn
  8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hey tink,
    i just think the board is moving sooo fast, some post just get missed.
    Please don't take it personally, just bump your own post, or do a search and see if the questions already been asked and answered by someone else.

Good luck
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I don't know if malic acid is a problem with prescription meds. Haven't read of any interactions, but maybe someone else here knows more than I do about it!

Beth.
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I just take one tablet in the morning - 500 mg. I started out taking two, but 1000 mg. was too much for me. I had diahhrea so had to cut back. My doctor knows I am on this and has no problem with it. It doesn't affect any meds I am on, but you might want to check with your doctor. I started taking it since I read that many people with FMS are low in magnesium.

Ellen
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who answered. I have been so busy I just saw some of these posts in answer to my question.

Appreciate it alot. I will try and remember to mention it to my doc. Hugs,

Marilyn