Malic Acid/MSM/Fish oils

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SallyMSO, Jan 3, 2010.

1. SallyMSO

SallyMSO New Member

When I first found out that I had fibromyalgia, I had all the things that went with it and terrible Migraine headaches. I was told to take Malic Acid, which is just fruit acid from apples, and MSM, which I take as Triflex with glucosomine chondroiton, and the fish oil/Cod Liver Oil. That is when my symptoms all improved. My sleep has been a problem until I increased my fish/Cod Liver oil (1,000) to eight a day and then it improved dramatically. I also take calcium/magnisium/zinc. I get massages and stretch every day in a hot bath, which also help. I went to a lecture by Dr. Charles Lapp, and he confirmed the Malic Acid and MSM. I only started the increase in fish oil four weeks ago and can not believe how well I sleep now. I also do fitness, Yoga, and linedance 5-6 times a week. I am retired from teaching and increased activity little by little. (When I first found out I had fibromyalgia I thought I had the flu or a virus all the time and was teaching on 2-3 hours of sleep a night, coming home unable to get something to eat.. and sometimes couldn't get up or walk to bed. I had all the issues listed with fibromyalgia. When I started taking the Malic Acid, MSM, and fish oil, I improved so much. What a difference. After retiring I began exercising and the more I do it, the better I feel. Now after increasing fish oil for a month, my sleep improved dramatically.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2010]
    See my post on Proper Dosage of Fish Oil.[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I took Malic Acid years ago. I think it may have helped with my muscles, but there's some reason I stopped taking it, can't remember.

I'm allergic to glucosomine and alot of the fish oils. They all make me much worse.

Calcium and Magnesium I have everyday. The Magnesium stops the muscle twitches mostly.

Vitamin D helps me alot when I take it. It's about the only thing has ever really helped.

We're all different. It sounds like you found what works for you. I used to get those headaches, they were so bad, it was like someone cracked my head on the pavement. I only got them in the early years being sick. Now, I just get an occasional migraine, but not like that.
  3. SallyMSO

SallyMSO New Member

I have to take the Malic Acid with meals, as it can upset your stomach. I also take Calcium/Magnisium/Zinc three times a day. Magnesium does make a difference. How does the Vit. D help you? I take it... because it is good for my bones, fights cancer, and strengthens immunity. I had not had a headache in 10 years, but got a terrible migraine after I had surgery... my body's response, I guess, but it was just one day. After surgery, my fibromyalgia and sleep temporarily got worse, but is now better, again.
  4. SallyMSO

SallyMSO New Member

Magnesium is essential for many reasons. I have heard about the Strontium and have some from Garden of Life, which is my Vitamin brand. I had surgery, so held off to take it. Has it helped you?

I take mostly fish oil, as the Cod Liver Oil has so much Vit. A.
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

Hey i was going to post about some of this, maybe can get it answered in this thread.
    I like magnesium and msm, iffy on the fish oils
    discovered today that taking quality calcium at beg. of day may help energy, i like to take cal dif time of day than mag or malic acid, thts better for bed time.

but what i am wondering about, i seem to react badly to sulphates but dont think i have noticed anything bad with msm, the lotion seems to help with neck pain a bit, does anyone know if msm is related to sulphates/sulfites or sulfur? for some reason i think i can tolerate msm but not sulfites and ates. i used to know the answer to this but oops, i did it again, i fergot!