Mammogram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ladyhurt, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ladyhurt

Ladyhurt New Member

owwwwwwwww does any of you ladies out there that are large breasted hurt like hell when you get a mammogram? they keep telling me i,m a baby but i cry anyway it really hurts and i have to go this month i don,t want to but have to .
    Ladyhurt
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I'm not especially large breasted but yes, it does hurt like heck for me! I get really nervous before my annual visit just anticipating the procedure. I'm sorry you have to go this month, but remember, we're being proactive and that's a GOOD thing!!!

((((Hugs))))

Kat
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I haven't had one of those in years, and since reading how many don't pick up the tumors, I've decided to start doing the new one out.

It's called a "thermogram", and is a non-invasive procedure that picks up anything abnormal before it gets to the tumor stage. Unfortunately insurance companies aren't covering it yet. Mine is going to cost $150.

A friend was just dx w/breast cancer, and it didn't show on the regular mamo.

Just a heads up!!

carole
  4. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

I have never done a mammogram, only thermagrams! They are much safer and do not hurt at all!
  5. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I am due for mine also and yes they hurt a lot I am dreading it I sympathise with you
    linda
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hve fybrotic braest i fugire itis much esier than getting brest implant put...

jodie
  7. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I don't have large breasts but the mammogram does hurt me because I have fibrocystic breasts. It's not unbearable, but thank heavens it doesn't last long... :) Worse part is I know they always have to go back and do the right side over again.. :(
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Only reason I could imagine going with the old-time mamo, along with its horrible pain & stress is if you can't afford the thermagram, which is totally painless.

LIGHT*********carole

9. JLH

JLH New Member

I always have my yearly mammograms, but they are not my favorite thing!

Yes, they are uncomfortable and hurt some (since I have fibrocystic disease), but nothing that I can not tolerate for a few minutes.

I guess I am used to so much pain that they don't bother me that much!

Janet

P.S. I would rather have a mammogram than have my blood pressure taken!!!!!!![This Message was Edited on 01/10/2006]
  10. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Thanks for educating us all!!

LIGHT********carole
  11. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Mammograms are so painful to me, but I get them anyway. I have never heard of a thermogram. I'll mention this to my doctor next time.

Thanks for the info. everyone.

Kinsie
  12. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

The last two yrs. I had them done, I ended up w/abrasions under each breast..Stinging & burning to no end. I called the Breast Center & complained, & was told; "consider the alternative". I told them, I never want those techs again. They pulled my breast so hard over that table, stretching the skin, it scraped on the edge of the table. That is not necessary..

I realize they need to get as much as they can up to the chest wall, buuuuuuttttt sheesh, not to the point of abrasions. I told them I have fms, didn't seem to matter.

I'm going to check into the thermography, as I have dense breasts & this may be the ticket to pain/abrasion free tests.

Thanks for mentioning that. Have a great rest of the week.

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  13. KelB

KelB New Member

I'm a 34G and my last mammogram wasn't too bad. It was uncomfortable, but nothing worse than eye-watering. I know my Mum has terrible trouble with them - she's a strong lady but is always reduced to tears by them as well - so I was dreading it. But nowhere near as bad as I anticipated. Guess I just got lucky.

It was the following needle biopsy that was bad - local anasthetic didn't work, but they just went ahead and did three anyway!
  14. Ladyhurt

Ladyhurt New Member

Ok need to ask Dr about this omg i,m a book of knoledge this week thanks to you guys kisses and big hugss all around.
    Ladyhurts