Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBrandywine, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Had mine today and Grrr she was rough.. I took motrin before I went .. have bad weather here in the Northeast too.. so now my ribs hurt and my muscles around my breast area...

but my question is..
    Any of you have one recently? Before she did the Xray.. she put like a bandaid on each nipple .. but .. seems like when I took them off.. it was like two tiny silver thingies on each end of it.. Should have saved it.. lol .. Then I could have checked it out better..
    I did ask. what they were for.. She said it was something new they were doing?
    Not sure how they can have the silver thingies on there tho.. seems like that would mess up the Xray...
    Anyone have this with their latest Mammogram?
    Just curious.. Thanks.. Hugs, Debbi~
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have had these 'Band-aids' used during my mammogram too. I guees for the past two years or so. It seems to be part of the routine now.

3. cordy250

cordy250 Member

Haven't seen that yet, but I am due for this year's mammo so maybe they will do it this time. Dunno.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have had two friends whose lives were saved by mammograms. Yes it does hurt but they are a must for women to have.

What are the "alternative articles" you have read?

While this is an individual choice, I think it is important for women to realize how important they are.

Take care.
  5. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I no longer have to have them. They would bruise me and put me into flares for days. I have MRI scans now. Most insurances will pay for them if the MD says they are medically necessary.

6. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I was wondering why they used them is all.. I thought of that too.. the tassles.. LOL
    sorry.. probably sick humor.. lol but.. really, I just couldnt figure out why they used them.. and if they have metal on them at all how could it not interfere with the xray itself.. I thought maybe it was just something that the Hospital in my area did..
  7. justshea

justshea New Member

Those bandaids are for any moles or other things that would show up on the x-rays, so they know it's not a tumor or something like that and yes, the mammo's are sooooo painful for us and it's even worse on the muscles and ribs surrounding our breasts.
    Thank the Lord, we only have to do it once a year.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is your personal choice.

However, with due respect, it concerns me that this might be construed by some people that it is okay not to get a mammogram. People do not like to get them and yes they are painful. But so is breast cancer.

Science has proven that the alternatives you suggested do not work in isolation.

Maybe these people are not ridiculous but certainly in denial that this can ever happen to them.

Do you realize how many lives are saved each year from mammograms? I pray that this does not happen to you or your loved ones.

Do you think this is another conspiracy by the medical establishment?

Statements that women do not need to get mammograms are reckless.

The risks of being exposed to a bit of radiation and some pain outweigh the lives that can be saved.

9. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Hi MsBrandywine!

I just had a mammo done a of couple months at the hospital that I work at. I asked the tech about the bandaids with the metal dots and she told me that the metal dots are there so that the machine has a correct alignment target to focus on when it takes the image.

I hope this answers your question. Oh yeah, it does not mess up the image 'cause the radiologist knows the dots are there, and they read around's not to cover up moles.... ;)

Tropical Girl*
  10. Jude

Jude New Member

Most breast cancers are diagnosed in women with no family history of the disease. I was 54-years-old, no family history of breast cancer, never smoked, and ate healthy. My mother was 92-years-old at the time and had never had cancer.

I almost cancelled my appointment but decided to go at the last minute. The mamogram picked up an area of interest and I was taken into another room and a core biopsy was done. Three days later the diagnose came back cancer.

One week later I had a mastectomy and three weeks later I was sitting in the chemo chair. The cancer that I had was very aggressive and fast growing and had NO hormone receptors. Had I not gone in for that mamogram that saved my life, I would be dead today. That means that I would not have gotten to know my granddaughter who was 9-months old at the time. My 92-year-old mother would have out-lived me. That means that I would not have known about the second grandchild that is on the way.

As an afterthought, there is no brest cancer on my father's side of the family either. I am a three-year breast cancer survivor. The mamogram that I had DID save my live. Nobody can tell this story better than someone who has lived it. I urge everyone to get a mamogram or MRI.

11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

First I want to say, Hi to Jude, and I am so glad to read that you are able to tell your story, to point out how you can never, prediect, or depend on Family history, when it comes to Breast Cancer.

Jude I had no idea, that you went throught this, we've been Board Friends for years now, and I miss you and some of the other Members who don't post much.
    I Thank the Good Lord for your Success in beating BC.

I have lost a number of Classmates to BC.
    They say 1 out of 3 will get it, in my case, it was 2 out of 3 that Died from it.
    We hung out togeather, when we were in HiSchool.
    One of them I had the pleasure of entering in a "Miss Welcome to Long Beach " Contest, back in 64.

She won, of course, she was so pretty, Blonde and just at pretty on the inside as she was Physically.
    My Parental Unit, entered me, and I went along, very uncomfortable, but at the Introduction Dinner, the first person I saw, was "Karen".
    I knew she would win, and so I relaxed and really enjoyed myself, because of her.

A few years ago, I found out that she had BC, it was in the early 80's, and the Medical community, wasn't as advanced in their treatments, as they are now.

She commited sucide, (sorry to mention this, but it was at a time, when there was little support, for Cancer Victims)
    She was a Twin, and it of course devasted her Sis.

I saw her Twin, last month at the Class Reunion, and I was amazed at how hard life had been for her, it showed in her eyes mostly.
    She didn't mind talking about Karen, and she now, is an advocate, on her Sis's behalf.

Another, Dear Friend is a Heart Transplant Survivor, and she did a wonderful thing, for all the Classmates that we have lost to Breast, and Ovarian Cancer.
    She did a 5 mile walk 2 years ago, in the Susan G Coleman Foundation.
    Very Inspiring, to me, and I know to others who have been through BC, or have Someone who is going through it.

I had to Repeat mine last year, they saw a spot, on the left breast.
    They did show it to me, and I was so afarid, I just didn't think I would be able to go through the treatments.

They did a follow-up Ultra Sound, and it came back ok.
    This year, I go in Dec. and I am hoping that it goes well this time, as it has in the past.

I have what one Dr. dx' as Functional Cysts, in my Breasts.
    They come and go, they use to Hurt me when I was still Ovalating, now they don't due to a complete Hy.

I think Everyone should have it done, yes it hurts, but only for a few min's, compared to a life of Horrible Treatments, while still coping with our DDS.

I know it's a private matter, really, except that what we do, does affect others in our lives.
    I know Kathy would have wanted Karen DX'd before it was untreatable.

We have made advances in screening, but I am hoping that they will come up with a less pain ful test.

I have a Rotator Cuff repair, on the rt arm/shoulder that didn't heal well, and it's very Hard to have the Mammogram done on that side,
    It Hurts, and then with FMS/CMPD, I hurt for a few days more.

But it's worth it, Just ask your Family and Friends.

If your nervous about doing one, have a Friend, go with you, so they can drive, and you can take a Sedative, (winking here).

Good Luck to all of you who are going to get theirs done, and Congrats to those who Survived, Brest Cancer.