manageable or just plain CFS acting out?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

For the past few days I have been stressed out beyond belief about everything, in regards mostly to my CFS.

I am having a lot of issues with school and graduating on time. I am in a conndundrum since I am a language major and need a certain number of credits to finish however my school only offers so many language courses a time and I'm flipping out. The solution, of course, would be to study abroad....which I am thinking about doing...however I am very, very nervous.

I have been successful in school thus far. i AM SO READY to graduate its not even funny so I don't want to make this go on longer than it needs to. I have to turn in my study abroad application by next month, so I am really nervous.

I THINK I could probably do it...its just that there is so much going on right now that I don't feel well and everything is cloudy.

I get going on no sleep at nights because my roommate is up until 3 typing online. Sometimes she'll get up early to go to work and slam dorms, windows, talk on the phone, etc.

When its not her, the guy that lives next door can ofen be found singing and songwriting a 2AM.

I haven't tried sleep medicines or anything, but right now I am virtually exhausted. I am worried I won't be able to do a program becuase i'll just be too tired. But I have to decide...FAST. I want to do a program...and the other option is to do a 4-6 week intensive in Paris, which would be cool, but 4 months in the Alps would be even COOLER! I'm just afraid #1, I won't be accepted due to health concerns or #2, I've misjudged everything and I am not okay.

I have been feeling fine mostly....its just the lack of sleep that is making me crazy.

I guess an alternative if nothing works out is to take a class at another school nearby.

But if its just sleeping habits we're concerned with, if I develop better ones, I'll be okay since I'd be living in someone's house with my own bedroom abroad.

Right now I'm working on my own living situation and trying to straighten it out.

My teachers here are understanding, but I am worried about the teachers there not being understanding. And I am worried about getting "screwed over" and not getting into the program because I have health concerns! AHHH.

I just want to experience everything and I am tired of this....and maybe everything is just relative and it all has to do with my roommate being loud and if I switch and take sleeping pills, I'll be better.

I just feel like I've been run ragged.
  2. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

you should first try to get help with your sleep.

write a pro and con on studing abroad.

you should think about this chance you may never get again. and if you get to sick you can always come home right.

you need to think about all this with a clear mind and that means SLEEP

Good Luck
    Laura

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I wrote you a post about a month ago...wondered how you have been doing. I'm sure school is keeping you plenty busy. It sounds like your roomie needs to do her typing earlier...it's interfering with your sleep. Could you move? I know you're probably into a new semester, but it might make a huge difference. Just a suggestion...take care! Terri
  4. becc

becc New Member

Hi Jeunefille :)

Wow, I've just read your profile - we have a lot in common! I was in your position about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm 25 and have had severe CFS and FM since I was 14. I've been studying my degree in politics and international relations part-time since 2001. I have one semester left now. I'm also desperate to finish, after 5 1/2 years for a 3 year degree!

I'm in Australia but have travelled to the UK fairly regularly since I was very young. I did a one year exchange in London in 2003/2004. Looking back, I have no idea why I decided to do the exchange as I've been basically housebound for years now. I can get out of the house about once every week and a half to two weeks at the moment - it was probably more often at the time but not much so deciding to go was a bit crazy! But I had always wanted to study in London so when the opportunity came up, I took it. It was honestly the greatest experience of my life. Before applying, I contacted the disability officer at the university I was going to and explained my situation. She helped me with everything I needed to know and I felt comfortable enough to apply. If you have time before your application is due, I'd definitely recommend contacting the university. You may find (hopefully not!) that it won't suit you so you can save the energy it takes to apply.

If you're offered a place, it might be worth contacting the university's health service before accepting the position. Find out how they treat people with CFS and if they're willing to continue whatever treatments you're on now. My doctor in London was fairly hesitant about the treatments I was on but agreed to continue them and was relatively helpful. Having read a lot more about CFS politics in the UK in the last couple of years, I think I was extremely lucky with the doctor I was assigned!

My life didn't change all that much while I was there - I was still too sick to go out most days but the experience was amazing. I pushed myself a lot more than I should have and, to be honest, I'm still paying for it health-wise in some ways, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. When I was able to get out, I tended to go into London to go to the theatre. I think that was what I enjoyed so much - I usually wasn't able to do the sort of travelling my other friends at the university did on the weekends but the things I could do were things that aren't available in my city in Australia. Even if your health and life aren't all that different abroad, just living in another country is wonderful. I was lucky because I have a lot of family in England so I was able to go and crash in a comfortable house for a week or two when I needed a break from my room at uni.

I have no idea if this answers any of your questions but I'd definitely recommend studying abroad if you're in a position to do so. I've missed so much of the 'normal' life I had planned since becoming ill so I decided that I wasn't going to let CFS take away this dream, no matter what it did to me.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about studying abroad with CFS :)

Good luck with your decision!

Bec :)