Managing pain meds. and pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I just started taking hydrocodine for my bulging disks in my neck.And let me tell ya...2 of those babies make life alot easier.

I can take 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours as needed.

Well I need to every 4 hours.

I take only one during the day but 2 at night.

One of my biggest fears is being dependant of pain meds. for the rest of my life.

I am 40.I seem to build up a tolerance to medication.Well some.

What if Ihave to keep going up on my pain meds?

Will it ever get to the point where nothing helps anymore?

That is nmy biggest fear.I don't want to live the rest of my life in severe pain everyday.

Like most of us here the pain is everywhere with fm.I also have other issues causing me physical pain.

It's like my whole body is a tooth ache and I need a root canal.

Sheila
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheila:
    Best bet: give feedback to your doctor and let him or her decide for you. These diseases seem to a long time running and adjustments have to be made along the way sometimes.
    The doctor giving you the meds is probably the way to go.
    At least it is for me. Hope you feel better.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. ckzim

ckzim New Member

right up there with politices, religion, and taxes...lol..
    It's a dreaded thing most of us deal with...with the doctors anyway..they like to say we are addicts.

As far as tolerance...another debated subject. But to give you some type of answer...
    I've been on hydrocone (lortab) for about 4 yrs..some doses as much as 1 every four hours...and low as 1 per every 2 weeks! Depends on the doctor, what they are giving it to you for.

My brother has back problems, he gets all the pain med he wants..cause it's for his back. Me...they moniter..cause it's fibro. NOT FAIR~! I say.

Anyways...maybe some else can better explain it too you..I'm alittle fogged right now...
    Thank Goodness you found relief!
    KATHYZ
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

My take on this is that if you need the meds, take them. There are dangers in not having your pain adequately treated as well. In my mind, no one should be denied pain meds if they have a legitimate need.

I agree with Nyrofan, though, that keeping good lines of communication open with your Doctor is important. Don't worry about getting to the pooint where nothing will help. That rarely happens; there are so many different pain meds and combinations they can use. But you are not close to that yet and you may never get there. You deserve to be comfortable. I'm glad you have something that helps.

Kathy.
  5. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

Ive been taking meds all of my adult life. Took 12 allergy shots a week for 8 yrs and finally gave up. Now it takes 6 antihistimines 2 times each day to keep from getting sick. So I understand about becoming immune to the meds. Ive been on Darvocet for 2 yrs and Ive not had to increase the amts of it yet. But Im also on loratab,ultram,flexeril,and naprosin for the pain and muscles. At this time in my life, I do not worry about addiction. Im just trying to get from one day to the next. I had both of my children without even a tylonel. Ive always been able to handle pain. Now I cant. Its just the way it is. I would sit and cry from the pain and my darling husband was the one who said, go take a pill, thats what they are for. And guess what? It does help. I stay in close contact with my drs and they say this is fine. God bless

Suzette