Manganese, Metabolism and Energy Production

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, May 29, 2008.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

A number of manganese activated enzymes play important roles in the metabolism of carbohydrates, ammino acids, and cholesterol.Pyruvate carboxylase, a manganese containing enzyme, and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase, a manganese activated enzyme, are critical in gluconeogenesis-the production of glucose from non carbohydrate precusors.......Glucose is a 6 carbon sugar which plays a major role in the generation of energy for living organisms.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2008]
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

Go to the last post and check it out i was hurting yesterday. i was going to lay off today. love it i had so much more energy. i actually cleaned house hurt all over after that.
    Could tell it would be good.
    What about pain?
    you do have fibro right?
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I "developed" Fibromyalgia 2 weeks ago when my level of Manganese became extremely low.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The Chiropractor I started going to xrayed my neck. Practically all my discs are compressed and dried out. And up until 2 weeks ago I could stand with legs straight and put my hands palms down. This indicated that my back is hypermobile due to the ligaments and tendons losing their elasticity. I've also had alopecia twice. All my symptoms for the last 30 to 40 years can be traced directly to a Manganese, and possibly other mineral deficiencies. These symptoms, plus hair, urine, and saliva show that I'm extremely deficient in Manganese.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You developed fibro two weeks ago? This must be very discouraging. So you have only become deficient the last two weeks since you were doing so well for such a long period?

Was your original diagnosis CFS and then you got better?

I am hoping that you find the answer.

I noticed that you have had an interest in Lymm lately, so assume you have been tested?

Was there anything else that could have triggered your FM. Are you going to see a rheumy?

Hopefully, you will feel better soon.

In the meantime, do things in moderation and keep us posted.

Take care,

6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I became EXTREMELY deficient in the weeks before I "developed" fibro. Symptoms fluctuate with the levels of Manganese in my body. I'm not seeing a rheumy, nor will I be treated by a rheumy or any other MD unless it's a dire emergency. I don't want to be put on drugs. I want to get well. And, thanks to the chiropractor I'm seeing, I'm making a remarkable recovery. I don't have Lyme disease, so I don't need to be tested. I've never posted on the Lyme board. Why do you say I'm interested in it?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]
  7. dannybex

dannybex Member

It might help to see if any of the other supps you've been taking more of lately might have helped to deplete your manganese levels. ??? For example, I've had low iron for years, so was taking iron supps -- just found out two months ago my iron and copper levels are the lowest the doc had seen. I wasn't geting any copper and/or was taking too much zinc, which depletes copper...

Also, interesting regarding your neck: We just had a doc speak at our support group meeting -- Dr. Andrew Holman.

He and colleagues found that 65% of their patients with severe fibro had neck compression/disk problems that caused pressure on their spinal cords...and that 85% had some sort of spinal cord injury.

He also said that the neck is usually fine in people w/CFS and no fibro...

8. dannybex

dannybex Member

Have you tried SAM-e and/or hyaluronic acid supps, esp the HA? That is supposed to increase the "cushioning fluid" around the it might help. Google fibro and hyaluronic acid and I think you'll turn up lots of info...

p.s. How much manganese are you taking? it's supposed to be quite non-toxic and not too easy to absorb...
  9. dannybex

dannybex Member

found this on the web:

"Manganese is a micromineral long associated with musculoskeletal healing. It is necessary to activate enzymes needed for collagen and proteoglycan synthesis, the major components of connective tissue. It is also part of the superoxide dismutase molecule that resides inside the mitochondria. So manganese is needed for connective tissue synthesis and is a component of the antioxidant system.

Manganese is generally considered a poorly absorbed mineral. Fiber, phosphorus, oxylates, and iron can all reduce absorption of manganese. Alkalinity can also decrease manganese uptake. In a very interesting study, researchers showed that ingestion of 500 mg of calcium carbonate antacids turned a positive manganese balance into a negative one. The participants in this study had dietary levels of 6 mg per day. An interesting side note to this study was that milk ingestion did not reduce manganese levels, even though it is rich in phosphorus and calcium."

(I'm thinking the calcium carbonate probably reduced stomach acid levels...???)
  10. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It's not only calcium and zinc. It's also the chemicals in food, vaccines, and medicine. They chelate minerals. The chiro who is fixing me said vaccines and many meds destroy minerals.
  11. dannybex

dannybex Member

It can be due to so many different things, including those you mentioned. But often we'll take a lot of this or that -- especially magnesium, which for me is SO overrated, but does help some folks -- and forget that we can create our own imbalances in the process.

Just found this info on the acu-cell site:

"Likewise, blood loss, or malabsorption are considered to be the main causes for low iron after ruling
    out any of a number of blood disorders, however low iron can very easily result from manganese levels
    having been low for a long period of time, or from other elements such as calcium, zinc, or magnesium
    reducing normal iron values."

"Extra supplementation of manganese may be helpful in
    some cases of carpal tunnel syndrome, deafness, epilepsy, infertility, and lack of libido in both sexes.
    In addition, individuals who regularly dislocate joints (particularly knee joints), frequently present with
    insufficient cellular manganese levels, so normalizing manganese in those cases will permanently
    resolve that problem."

12. Catseye

Catseye Member

I know what dannybex means about magnesium being overrated. So many people try it, but if you don't have enough calcium to go with it, you can still feel bad. We really need ALL minerals. Try to seek out a supplement with easily absorbable forms of these. I am using a chelated one, the minerals are chelated with amino acids.

Make sure you avoid magnesium oxide since it's not very absorbable. In fact, it's used in laxatives because of this inability to be fully absorbed - it just passes through you, instead. Calcium citrate is an easily absorbed form of calcium. And you want about twice as much calcium as magnesium for the day.

And I've found out that much of the malabsorption issue is just low stomach acid. You can't really tell, I mean how do you think you're going to feel if you have low stomach acid? If it's too high, it'll burn, but what about if it's low? Well, you won't break down your food properly and so nutrients won't be absorbed. You need acid to absorb zinc, iron and copper and they compete for receptors, so it's a delicate balance of circumstances that all have to be right for them to be properly balanced in the body. So if you have low stomach acid, you won't absorb zinc and you need zinc to make stomach acid. So this problem perpetuates itself.

Betaine hcl and a good mineral supplement are among the first supplements a CFSer should try, I believe. They certainly can't hurt anything, not like some drugs can. I am taking four 700 mg betaine hcl pills with meals. What a difference it makes!

13. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I wonder what effect these concentrated forms of plant based antioxidants have on mineral levels. Mother Nature, not man, does a perfect balancing act. When I go for my appointment tomorrow, I'll ask.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have never been to the lymes board but I thought you said something about getting tested. Maybe it is just brainfog? Maybe, delusional, LOL!!!

The bottom line is that you get better.

Take care,

15. dannybex

dannybex Member

On the acu-cell site he talks about certain herbs that raise iron or manganese (devil's claw???) and others that lower them (I think he said milk thistle)...

p.s. And yes...hydrochloric acid is extremely important, and many of us have low levels. Manganese is actually supposed to help raise stomach acid least that's what I read, also on the acu-cell site.
  16. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Yes, I've visted the acu-cell site many times. It has some extremely useful info....Arginine appears to increase stomach acid by stimulating the production of gastrin, a hormone that increases stomach acid. Manganese is required to activate arginine. The presence of gastrin stimulates parietal cells of the stomach to secrete hydrochloric acid (HCI)/gastric acid.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I posted on another site about manganse about how our diets are sufficient.

I think the thread is something about Thyroid.I am getting confused as there seems to be so many post and threads about this.

18. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It would probably be a very good idea to read ALL info concerning Manganese instead of picking out bits and pieces. And if some of the info is hard for you to understand I'll be more than glad to help explain it to you. I don't suppose you looked up mucopolysaccharides, glycosyltransferases, proteoglycans, lipoproteins or lipopolysaccharides, did you.
  19. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Have you researched all the processes of the body that require Manganese? It would probably be better to warn of the dire consequences of using things like Celebrex than to warn of the dangers of this essential nutrient.
  20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Kina and Nofool,

Thanks for the information.

I guess I am mystified how this one mineral can cure so many things. Wouldn't it be nice if one medication could make us all well or improve our condition?

My fear is that people will start using the manganese while ignoring other symptoms which could mean something else is going on with their body. Possibly something serious.

Maybe what you say is accurate but from doing my own research, I am not convinced of these tenuous connections showing that maganese helps people.

Sometimes focusing on the small things blocks us from seeing the whole picture.

Thanks to you we have learned a lot about manganese. I want to make it very clear that I am not asking you to stop posting. But your point has been well taken.

Again,it is certainly a personal choice and I would never tell you not to take it.

However, I think people deserve to hear the pertinant issues on both sides before making a decision.