Manipulation under anethesia?!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scoop, Oct 18, 2002.

1. scoop

scoop New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have missed all of you. I haven't been on the message board in along time. If you are out there Jackie hello and i hope all is well!

I was wondering if any of you out there have heard of Manipulation under anethesia (MUA) for back pain. I have been in four auto accidents and have Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My knew chiropractor preforms the MUA on his chronic pain patients and puts them into physical therapy afterwards. He feels a lot of my pain is coming from scar tissue in my body from the accidents and maipulating me under anethesia allows the patient to be relaxed to readjust the body the way its suppose to be. The patients feel like they finally get their life back. You go for three days in a row into the hospital. The actual procedure only takes i guess 10-15 min. each time. I am in a very weak state though and am down to 100 pounds so concerned about having a drug administered to me to put me under. You aren't put under all the way you can still respond to the doctors which is good.

It all sounds wonderful and i am at the point i am willing to try anything but am concerned he hasn't preformed it on anyone with Fibromyalgia to my knowledge and i don't know if its too aggressive of an approach and i don't want to end up in more pain then i already am! Then i think if its the answer to get my life back without pain maybe i should take the chance!

If anyone has any information on it or feedback or knows anyone who has had the procedure done i would really appreciate any help.

I hope you all have a good day and god bless all of you.

Take care,
    Scoop
  2. scoop

scoop New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have missed all of you. I haven't been on the message board in along time. If you are out there Jackie hello and i hope all is well!

I was wondering if any of you out there have heard of Manipulation under anethesia (MUA) for back pain. I have been in four auto accidents and have Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. My knew chiropractor preforms the MUA on his chronic pain patients and puts them into physical therapy afterwards. He feels a lot of my pain is coming from scar tissue in my body from the accidents and maipulating me under anethesia allows the patient to be relaxed to readjust the body the way its suppose to be. The patients feel like they finally get their life back. You go for three days in a row into the hospital. The actual procedure only takes i guess 10-15 min. each time. I am in a very weak state though and am down to 100 pounds so concerned about having a drug administered to me to put me under. You aren't put under all the way you can still respond to the doctors which is good.

It all sounds wonderful and i am at the point i am willing to try anything but am concerned he hasn't preformed it on anyone with Fibromyalgia to my knowledge and i don't know if its too aggressive of an approach and i don't want to end up in more pain then i already am! Then i think if its the answer to get my life back without pain maybe i should take the chance!

If anyone has any information on it or feedback or knows anyone who has had the procedure done i would really appreciate any help.

I hope you all have a good day and god bless all of you.

Take care,
    Scoop
  3. Information

Information New Member

I have never heard of this -- I may be the last person you wanted to hear from --but it sounds like a great idea. I would first want to be sure I wouldn't react to the anaesthesia and I believe there are ways of testing for this. I would also ask the doctor if I could talk with other patients who have had the therapy. --Jo
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I've never heard of this either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am seeing a new chiro who uses ART, Active Release Technique, along with a lot of manual manipulation of my spine, plus some traditional chiro stuff. I've been twice so far and I feel like it is helping.

You can check old posts for more info on this. I know Jaimy and Mel have both had experience with this and have had good results also.

Barbara
  5. scoop

scoop New Member

Hi Jo and Barbara,

Thank you for the responses. It does concern me about the anethesia Jo. I do react very strangely to medications like all of us. Do you know how i can find out if i would have a bad reaction?! I am going to talk to other people who have had the procedure done and hear somethings first hand about it.

Thank you Barbara for the idea of the ART. I will have to ask him about it. I know a few days ago he used a technique and unfortunately i do not remember the name. If i don't write things down forget it!!

Thank you both for your replys and if their is anyone else out there with information about MUA i would really appreciate any replys!

Take care
    Scoop
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

new could be good or bad. Permanent damage can be done by spinal manipulation so anything where you wouldn't feel pain could allow for manipulation beyond what could or should be done safely. I would want to know how long this has been done and how many times this particular person has done it and what is the track record or such treatments. Also, are followup records being kept on of the new procedure? I would definately be sure that adacquate malpractice insurance is carried because even the best of the best can have unforseen bad outcomes on patients. I dont mean to scare or disuade but these are questions I would ask. Before I allow anyone do anything to me I look them in the eye and ask these kind of questions. I usually preface it with something like "Now I have to ak you the questions that will calm my nerves about this whole thing"
  7. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I had a surgery that tore my Rotator cuff, then I had a surgery to fix the torn cuff. I grew a lot of scar tissue there and I still couldn't use the arm, so while I was having knee surgery the did the Manual Manulaption on my arm, so it would break the scar tissue.
    Well they retore the Rotator cuff.
    It took 3 doctors to screw me up, a neurlogist and 2 orthopedic Dr.s

Then i moved to another state and got the Repair to the cuff.
    I still can't use it, but it dosen't hurt like when it was torn.

I'd be very careful and check this out, and also I got very sick each time I go under the ansteshia (sp?).

Have you tried Sweidsh Soft Tissue Massage, that's the best that I have found to get rid of Pain.
    I do other things, too, but love it when I can get a Massage.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  8. toots2

toots2 New Member

I would get a second opinion if I were you. I don't trust chiro's as far as I can throw them. According to most of them, spinal adjustments will cure everything when in fact I have read it doesn't help much at all. I would asks for the names of fibro patients this chiro has helped with this certain procedure and talk to them first. If this did help, I think we would be reading about it somewhere. Just my opinion, of course, but I keep thinking it could do permanent damage. Where would you be then? Suzanne