Manuka honey as an anti-microbial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Oct 1, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi all. Just a brief note to say that manuka honey has been recognised as a good anti-bacterial and has anti-fungal properties. Mainly it is used for wound healing, but I've heard that it's beneficial to consume a little manuka honey each day. To find work that has been done in this area, search for the Waikato Honey Research Unit. Waikato University is a New Zealand university and manuka honey is a New Zealand honey made by bees that feed on the manuka tree.

I'm not sure if this would be a good candida anti-fungal as they don't really say that it would work systemically. Plus I would be concerned about the fact that manuka honey is SWEET!

But I have read elsewhere that people have tried it for systemic candida and reported no bad results.

BTW, this is my 3rd day on the horopito (kolorex) and anise extract - I think I'm having some die-off from it, I do not feel very well today!

Ali
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi all. Just a brief note to say that manuka honey has been recognised as a good anti-bacterial and has anti-fungal properties. Mainly it is used for wound healing, but I've heard that it's beneficial to consume a little manuka honey each day. To find work that has been done in this area, search for the Waikato Honey Research Unit. Waikato University is a New Zealand university and manuka honey is a New Zealand honey made by bees that feed on the manuka tree.

I'm not sure if this would be a good candida anti-fungal as they don't really say that it would work systemically. Plus I would be concerned about the fact that manuka honey is SWEET!

But I have read elsewhere that people have tried it for systemic candida and reported no bad results.

BTW, this is my 3rd day on the horopito (kolorex) and anise extract - I think I'm having some die-off from it, I do not feel very well today!

Ali
  3. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hi again! I've just emailed Professor Molan from this research unit, asking him some very specific questions about manuka honey in relation to candida albicans and coating on the tongue. If and when he responds, I'll post his response for your info under this thread! :)

Alison
  4. herblady

herblady New Member

most people don't know this but all honey is good for killing bacteria. where do you get this specific honey? cindi
  5. sb439

sb439 New Member

... since however wholesome and healing honey is, it *does* affect your teeth (causes decay)
    hugs,
    Susanne
  6. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Manuka honey is particularly potent, especially if you get one labelled "Active Manuka Honey". I think that manuka honey is available in the US, but I honestly think that you are better off getting a New Zealand brand. I get mine from the supermarket and/or the health food shop, but there are probably online retailers that you can buy it from.

Search for "active manuka honey" and hopefully you will get some results.

Once opened, it should be kept in the refrigerator.

Ali
  7. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Interestingly, the research on manuka honey shows that it is effective on bacterial infections of the teeth!

Oh and by the way, I personally had to get used to the distinctive flavour of manuka honey - it doesn't have the same taste as normal honey, but it's worth getting used to. It is good for adding sweetness to your herbal tea or for sweetening other things. My mother spreads it on toast. Or you can just eat a spoonful right off the spoon. You can also get manuka honey sweets/lollies called 'Manuka Melts' and these are delicious! :)

Ali
  8. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Oh and by the way, the best kind should be labelled for UMF 10 or 10+ potency.

Be warned though, it is quite expensive!

Ali
  9. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Not all manuka honey is "Active". It MUST have a high UMF rating. UMF stands for Unique Manuka Factor. Some websites try to make you believe that their manuka honey has UMF by quoting research etc so that it seems believable. But make sure that the honey you buy is CERTIFIED at least UMF 10.

Some info copied and pasted from a reliable New Zealand website. PLEASE READ!

What is UMF and Why is it Important?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • UMF is the name of a very beneficial antibacterial property found in some strains of manuka honey. (UMF is not in all manuka honey.)
    • UMF indicates the honey has a high antibacterial component.
    • UMF is a guarantee and measure of the antibacterial potency of honey.
    • UMF Manuka Honey (UMF10 is minimum level) has enhanced antibacterial potency giving it special healing qualities.
    • UMF Manuka Honey is the preferred honey when selecting honey for special therapeutic uses.
    • UMF is an industry registered name, trademark, standard indicating antibacterial quality
    • The UMF standard is the only standard worldwide identifying and measuring the antibacterial strength of honey.

UMF was first discovered by Dr Peter Molan, MBE, of Waikato University's Honey Research Unit.
    Honey contains an enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide, a proven antiseptic with antibacterial properties.
    Dr Molan's research found another more powerful and more stable antibacterial property, called UMF, in some strains of manuka honey.
    UMF is additional to the hydrogen peroxide antibacterial property.
    These two properties together have a synergistic effect enhancing their effectiveness.
    Studies are showing the enhanced antibacterial qualities of UMF Manuka Honey gives the honey special healing qualities.

There are Two Types of Manuka Honey:
    1. Ordinary manuka honey with only the hydrogen peroxide antibacterial property common to most honeys. A very nice table honey.
    2. UMF Manuka Honey with both the natural hydrogen peroxide antibacterial property plus its own natural UMF antibacterial property, giving it increased antibacterial potency. A specialty honey identified by the name UMF. It is the preferred honey for wound dressing and other special therapeutic uses.

The Name UMF
    To distinguish between the two types of manuka honey Dr Molan (honey researcher) and the Active Manuka Honey Industry (AMHIG) have named the additional antibacterial property UMF (meaning Unique Manuka Factor).
    It is unique because it is only in manuka honey and in only some (not all) manuka honey.

The name UMF is the seal and trademark of the Active Manuka Honey Industry and is available for use only by licensed users who must meet set criteria.

The UMF Standard is an industry registered standard indicating which honey has the special UMF property.
    The name UMF on the front label guarantees the honey has this special property.

UMF Guarantee
    The name UMF is a guarantee that the honey being sold has the special UMF antibacterial property to at least the level indicated on the label.
    It applies only to honey packed in New Zealand and tested after each batch is packed. It does not apply to honey in drums, etc still to be packed, nor to honey not packed in New Zealand.

The UMF Rating
    The name UMF is followed by a number indicating the strength of the UMF property after the honey has been packed in New Zealand. A UMF rating of 10 is the minimum.

Laboratory Testing of Manuka Honey for UMF Rating:
    The special UMF antibacterial property is not found in all manuka honey.
    The presence of this property can be detected only by special laboratory testing.
    Samples of honey are sent to a specially appointed laboratory for testing for antibacterial activity using criteria laid down by the Honey Research Unit at Waikato University, New Zealand.
    These tests measure the presence of and level of the UMF antibacterial property.

The Test Results
    The testing of the honey provides two sets of results:
    1. Total Activity rating which measures. Most honeys have a Total Activity rating with activity being due to the hydrogen peroxide property. Total Activity does not identify the UMF property.
    2. UMF Activity rating indicates the strength of the UMF property. For this test a catalyse is added to the honey sample to remove the hydrogen peroxide so that all that is measured is the strength of the UMF property.
    The UMF activity rating is the most important when identifying manuka honey with the special UMF property.

The UMF Ratings (measure of antibacterial strength):
    0-4: Not detectable
    5-9: Maintenance levels only (a nice table honey but not recommended for special therapeutic use)
    10-15: Useful levels endorsed by the Honey Research Unit at The University of Waikato
    16 and over: Superior levels with very high activity.

What Can UMF Do?
    1. In laboratory studies the UMF property has been found to be effective against a wide range of bacteria including the very resistant helicobacter pylori (this bacteria causes most stomach ulcers), the wound-infecting bacteria staphylococcus aureus and escherichia coli, streptococcus pyogenes (causes sore throats).

2. Studies are showing UMF Manuka Honey with high levels of UMF could be very effective in helping relieve stomach ulcer symptoms and gastritis, and when applied topically, in assisting the natural healing of skin ulcers, wounds, burns, boils, cracked skin, MRSA.
    Studies are also showing the UMF property helps make UMF Manuka Honey excellent for relieving sore throats and oral hygiene.

3. The UMF property is very stable, unlike the hydrogen peroxide antibacterial property common to most honey. The hydrogen peroxide property is easily destroyed by heat, light and water and also destroyed by the catalase effect of the body serum.
    But the UMF property is quite stable.

UMF Manuka honey / Active Manuka Honey - Are they the same?
    Originally manuka honey which had the UMF antibacterial property was known as Active Manuka Honey (and is often referred to by this name in the research papers). But, the name "active" is now being used by many to refer to either the peroxide antibacterial activity of honey rather than the UMF antibacterial activity or to honey with very low UMF activity, a level too low to be recommended for therapeutic use.
    It is now most necessary to look for the name UMF on the front label. The name UMF guarantees the presence of this property at levels regarded as being most suitable for therapeutic use.

What To Look For When Selecting Honey For Special Therapeutic Uses:
    1. Look for the name UMF and the level clearly displayed on the front label. The word "active" or "active" followed by a number is meaningless - to what activity is it referring (UMF or peroxide)?
    2. Look for a high UMF rating, especially for internal uses. UMF10 is the minimum to meet the UMF standard and be endorsed as having special therapeutic uses.
    3. The honey must be packed in NZ to meet the criteria of the UMF standard and every batch is tested after packing. The term "Product of New Zealand" does not indicate that the honey has been packed in New Zealand.
    4. Pay attention to the quality of the packing procedures used to ensure all the goodness and purity of the honey is retained. The hydrogen peroxide property is easily destroyed by heat during the packing procedure.

Ali
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2002]

[ advertisement ]