MARCH 11, 2007....BIBLE STUDY

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by 143alan, Mar 10, 2007.

1. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi again! Thanks so much to everyone who responded to last week's Bible Study. I think it got off to a great start and this is the type of thing that anyone can jump into and participate in at any point so DON'T think that if you didn't start last week you can't respond now. EVERYONE is welcome at anytime. This is an opportunity to discuss the word of God.

Last week we read and discussed Psalm 32 and verse 10 talks about how the Lord's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him. I started thinking about how sometimes that's the hardest thing we can do is trust in the Lord. A lot of times in our lives we learn pretty quickly that we can't always trust people, and a lot of believers even have a hard time trusting the Lord. Let's look at TRUST.

1) Look at the index in your Bible and see how many verses in the Bible are about TRUST, or some form of the word TRUST. No, don't sweat you don't have to count them!
    2) What is the first verse in your Bible that uses the word TRUST?
    3) Read that verse.
    4) In my Bible that 1st verse is Exodus 14:31
    "And when the Israelites saw the great power the Lord displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the Lord and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant."
    5) What power had the Isralites seen?
    6) In Exodus, if the Israelites had continued to trust in the Lord how differently would the book of Exodus have been written. (I don't think I worded that right but I hope you get the idea)
    7) What difference does it make in our lives when we trust in the Lord?

HAVE FUN EXPLORING THE WORD OF GOD! We will have a wrap-up of the responses on Wednesday and if you would like to continue this I will post another discussion topic next Sunday. Since there are so many verses about TRUST we may continue that topic for the remainder of March if everyone would like that.

Thanks Everyone
    Nancy

[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2007]
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My Bible’s concordance has less than 1 column of references related to trust. The first one given is Psalm 20:7.
    <PRE>
    Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed;
    He answers him from his holy heaven
    with the saving power of his right hand.
    Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
    They are brought to their knees and fall,
    but we rise up and stand firm.
    ~ Psalm 20:6-8
    </PRE> </FONT>
    From this, I would say that those who trust in the Lord rise up and stand firm. I think that trust in God gives us a better perspective on life. We are able to ‘not sweat the small stuff’, but stand firm on what is truly important. When we trust God he will guide us and grant us wisdom, so that we will make better decisions in life.

It is difficult to understand how the Israelites could witness the power of God first-hand and then not trust Him to continue to care for them. In the parable of The Rich Man and Lazarus, Luke 16:19-31, Jesus says that those who do not believe the testimony of the scriptures will not be convinced by a miracle - “even if someone rises from the dead”.

[This Message was Edited Several Time on 03/12/2007]

I give up. I can't get it to stop making the text below the Bible quote smaller.

[This Message was Edited on 03/12/2007]
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Thanks for posting this. I think it is so easy for us to put our trust in anything and everything except God. Yet, He is the only one who will never let us down and never betray out trust. Despite that, I still struggle with trusting Him. But trust is hard for me in general. I have had my trust betrayed numerous times and really struggle with trusting people. Sometimes I think it is just easier and less painful to not trust in the first place. But I know that is a miserable place to live. I think trust requires balance and wisdom. You shouldn't trust people too soon or with too much. You should be discerning about who you share things with. But at the same time, I think it is a serious mistake to distrust everyone. When I was younger, I used to trust people until and unless they gave me a reason not to. I took everything people said at face value.

Okay, enough rambling. The first bible I looked in had over a column of verses under trust. The first one listed was the one in Exodus Nancy mentioned earlier. Exodus 14:31.

So I tried looking in another Bible. This one (NASB Updated version) had only about 8 verses under trust. Which I found very surprising. The verse one that concordance was Job 8:14. I think it is important to read verses in context, so here is Job 8:13-15 in the Amplified Version

Job 8:13-15 AMP
    13 So are the ways of all who forget God; and the hope of the godless shall perish.

14 For his confidence breaks, and [the object of] his trust is a spider's web.

15 He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand; he shall hold fast to it, but it shall not last.

I am looking forward to continuing these studies.

Lms526

4. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

My first reference was also Ps. 20:7 "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

Sometimes even for Christians we will trust in our own strength, in our own provisions and trust God last.

The Israelites saw the parting of the Red Sea. Now how much more of a miracle can that be? Yet, they wandered around in the desert for 40 years from what should have only been a 10 day trip on foot. God provided for them daily with his manna and yet the Israelites griped and complained the whole trip.

I have many, many times read Exodus and just shook my head at the Israelites thinking what is wrong with them. Yet, today at this very hour I find myself in my own wilderness wandering around griping and complaining even though I can see God clearly working in my circumstances with this whole insurance nightmare.

Trust cannot be based on how we feel, because to be quite honest I feel rotten and have for several days. I know God will take care of me but I have to overcome my own human weaknesses and my own temperment and tendency to worry.

I know that God understands me and I also know that He knows I am doing the very best I can right now. I know that He loves me and will get me through this wilderness. I also know from the book of Exodus that the trip will take way longer if I start looking at my cirumstances and not towards God.

I personally don't want to be going in circles going over the same ground again and again. I do know that if I don't learn the lessons that God would want me to learn during this time of testing that I will have to go over the same ground until I have learned it.

When I come to the end of myself and my own strength then God will be able to take the reigns of my life and take me where HE wants me to go and not where I am blindly going on my own.

I think that I will never read Exodus in quite the same way again.

Thanks Nancy for a great thought provoking study on Trust.

Love,
    Nancy
  5. 143alan

143alan New Member

WOW, this week took an interesting turn in our study. I have 7 bibles and all of them have an index so I was surprised to see that there are bibles that do not, or only have a partial list. This discovery; however, allowed us to have some really wonderful answers and discussion.

Thanks Willow77 and Lms526 for the crowned smileys, as you see I found him too....LOL!

Willow77, I love the references to trust that you found in Psalm 5:11 and Matthew 6:25-34. I looked them up and was really blesssed by them. How secure it feels that God cares so much for the birds of the air; how much more then that he cares for us. I know we are not suppose to be anxious for nothing, but that is so easy said and hard to do isn't it. I love that verse though because it reminds me that God is so much bigger than our problems. I understand what you mean when you say that with all the pain and fear we have for our future we all need to remember that he is our shelter. Thanks so much for the verses and responses you provided.

LittleBlueStem: I say amen to your response. You said it well that when we trust in God we don't have to sweat the small stuff. I'm really praying for the strength to do that when I return to work Monday.

Lms526: I think a lot of us feel the way you do about trust. I've been hurt so many times because I trusted people that it does make you want to withdraw from the world and just not trust anyone, but like you said it is a mistake to mistrust everyone and I think our lives suffer because of our mistrust.
    I see you found it surprising, the differences in the indexes. Great! I don't feel as crazy now since it must not all be in my mind...LOL. WOW, Job. Now that's a book about trusting in the Lord. Job was faithful to God through all his losses and through his faithfulness has taught us so much. Thanks for your responses. Rereading Job really spoke to me.

Bandwoman: You and LittleBluestem may have the same bibles as both show the first reference under trust is Psalm 20:7. It's a wonderful passage. Thank you for the reminder that trust cannot be based on how we feel. I think a lot of times we link how we feel with how God sees us, or does or does not want to be with us. Things like that.
    I'm so glad you joined us this week because what you added about the Israelites is the key to this weeks study.

The Israelites witnessed FIRST HAND the power of God when he parted the Red Sea allowing them to cross safely and then allowing that same Sea to devour their enemy. Despite seeing the most awesome sight ever they still did not trust in God to provide for them in the desert and they constantly whined and complained. He even provided manna every single day and yet by the end of one day they were complaining about whether they would have food the next. As Nancy (bandwoman)had said, The Israelites wandered around in the desert for 40 years what would have been about a 10 day journey. This happened because they didn't trust God as hard and patiently as he was working to get them to trust him.

Someone told me something years ago I've never forgotten. I kept dealing with the same problem over and over again and was wondering why I kept having this problem. She said that God will continue to allow you to have the problem until you have learned how to trust in him for the answer to solve it. I've found that to be very true in my life.I may not really like it...but it's true. It also gets back to what Bandwoman said that when I come to the end of myself and my own strength then God will be able to take over.

This is wonderful, thanks everyone for responding. If you would like, any of you can respond to what other ones have posted up to Sat. night. The next study will post on Sunday. I want everyone to have a chance to respond to everyone else. I'm really learning a lot from this.
    Thanks
    Nancy