Married to or child of Viet Vet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

They are coming up with more and more illnesses related to the Agent Orange exposure of anyone that was in that country during the war. My husband's Diabetes 2 is now covered by the VA disability, starting at 10% and up. They recognize SpinaBifida, female cancers in
    daughters, sterility in male children etc.. My husband was in an area where "extra" was sprayed as an "experiment". He also put in landing strips so was exposed due to clearing the vegetation to be able to do the strips. Just curious.
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Bump!

Bump!
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sorry about your husband. Thinking about Viet Nam also brings to mind the kids who came back from recent wars with all sorts of problems.

My brother has two friends who served in Viet Nam who are now very sick. One has diabetes, severe arthritis and other ailments.

Both are receiving full disability benefits. My brother has health problems I believe are immune related.

He gets a strange skin rash once in a while, has Chronic CF and FM and his lungs are scarred. We are very close and I have always made sure he goes to the doctor for check-ups. He recently started a very good vitamin and says he feels much better and the muscle aches are gone.

Thanks goodness his son was born before he went to Viet Nam.

4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sorry about your husband. Thinking about Viet Nam also brings to mind the kids who came back from recent wars with all sorts of problems.

My brother has two friends who served in Viet Nam who are now very sick. One has diabetes, severe arthritis and other ailments.

Both are receiving full disability benefits. My brother has health problems I believe are immune related.

He gets a strange skin rash once in a while, has Chronic CF and FM and his lungs are scarred. We are very close and I have always made sure he goes to the doctor for check-ups. He recently started a very good vitamin and says he feels much better and the muscle aches are gone.

Thanks goodness his son was born before he went to Viet Nam.

5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Bambi .. I'm a Canadian military wife .. my husband was severely affected in the '91 Gulf war .. exposed to depleted uranium and toxic chemical smoke .. suffers from PTSD as well from horrific sights .. We had our son before he was there so I'm very grateful we don't have medical issues on that front .. Canada is going through the process of its veterans from postings in Gagetown, New Brunswick that were exposed to agent orange .. and so were the local residents .. there is a class action suit beginning .. so we will see from that point on what responsibility is taken on by the government .. my heart goes out to you with your problems .. the military never seems to learn from their mistakes .. good luck and hang in there !
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

she also has severe FM and she has Scoliosis. The first and only person in either side of the families. It is supposed to be hereditary as a rule.
    They are admitting to SpinaBifida but not the Scoliosis yet, though I've heard of several kids of Vets who have it. She goes for regular pelvic
    exams just BECAUSE of the higher incidence of cancers. There is also a high risk of several cancers in the people who served. I wouldn't have missed my daughter for the world and then some, but I think I would have not had children had I been aware of the possible dangers to her.

My husband was diagnosed with a fairly rare lower spine problem in the last couple of years also, he can be doing something or nothing and could end up in a wheelchair. They SAY it is a genetic disorder but it was never found in all the years of
    exrays over his life. He is also showing EVERY sign of FM but the doctor is only treating his Diabetic
    pain and the back pain and hasn't done the tests for the FM yet. He simply won't go into the VA for the
    AO testing, he doesn't trust them and I guess I can't blame him.
  7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

He developed "something" in his lungs- VA said, "not sure what it is, but it isn't cancer" one year later, they did a biopsy. (duh) Stage 4 lung cancer- a very rare form attributed solely to Agent Orange exposure.

He passed away in February of last year.

My MIL did not apply for benefits b/c it was "not cancer". Once they knew it was cancer, he received 100% disability, but they would not retroact to the VA's misdx, b/c she didn't apply.

He had had a stroke 5 years prior. I think that once it was established that he had signifigant enough exposure to cause aggressive lung cancer, obviously he had enough to assume that the stroke as well as his diabetes were also attributable. BUT that would truly be Gov't FOR the people. MIL told that disability benefits will only ever retroact to the first application for disability, even if all tx were done at the VA and you had been given no reason to suspect one might be disabled, or that a disability might be related to service. I think all of our veterans should apply for disability the minute they are discharged- even if they are healthy right then. Who knows what they will come up with as a direct result of a person's service?

ANYWAY, my DH and his siblings were all conceived after his exposure. We watch for signs. I don't know what else we can do.
  8. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

My father was in Vietnam in '65 and I was born in '71. The only health problems I remember him having were sinus related and a weird tumor that wrapped around his hip (benign). Plus he has a depressive disorder but don't know if that existed before or not. A former neighbor that was over there roughly same place same time had similar health problems as well.
    I never thought about that kind of exposure being a problem for me but I also don't know of anyone else in my family that has my disease so it gives me something to think about.

Jess
  9. kbak

kbak Member

My hubby is a Vietneam Vet. He was a "river rat", someone who partoled the river's. Agent orange was used heavily along the river's to defoliate, so troops could see better and not provide cover for VC.

He's been way luckier then most. He does have big problems with skin cancer's, but I started him on a healthy living plan many, many yrs. ago that I'm sure has been a big help to him.

The bad thing with the vets today, 1990's and up, is that they have recieved experimental vaccines that my husband didn't.

I think depleted uranium has been a much more serious health problem then agent orange, at least for those troops that weren't directly under the spraying.

I know that many families are getting sick, entire families of desert storm vets.

Do I have the HHV6 virus because my husband is carrying it, or did I contract it myself? I'm sick with CFID and he's not. there's lots of questions with no answer's.
  10. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

my father was a viet vet. I've never heard of him having any sort of illness, only PTSD and depression.
  11. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Bambi,

Good question. It made me wonder if the families of any war veteran are affected by the vet's PTSD. Just about everyone on this board fits into that category.

My father is a WW2 vet. He had the job of going ahead of the rest of the troops to set up radio communication in France and Germany. He was 18. Talk about stressful.

My grandfather was a WW1 vet. Came home with "shell shock", which is another name for PTSD.

Do they pass on some tendency to have your body ready to fight or make a flight all the time?

Research will show--I hope. Any ideas anyone?

Francie
  12. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

My husband did 2 yrs in Vietnam.Last year he was finally approved as 20% disabled due to diabetes caused by agent orange. He has been on ss disability for 10 years from a variety of probs. We tried so hard to get 100 % va benefits bec they are so much better than ss but to no avail. At 20% disables he recvs $200 per month and can get his meds with a $7.50 copay which is great but the va only has certain meds they have available and they will not prescribe narcotics for pain.

The Va sent my hubby to a shrink and a counselor who both diagnosed severe PTSD but the VA refused benefits. If you have never dealt with the VA you would not believe what they put these people through.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]