MARTA - i want to hear about your grain-free food plan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sascha, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sascha

sascha Member

i've been faithfully gluten-free for a long time, but i'm taking the next step. i would really like to hear how you live with this approach. i have two books by Dr. Mercola. i've made pancakes from ground walnuts, and they were great. i made raspberry-stevia sauce to go over them. and i've made his walnut-zucchini bread, which was ok toasted-

i would be interested and grateful to hear what you are doing. thanks- Sascha
  2. sascha

sascha Member

3. sascha

sascha Member

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I just wrote a long reply, paused to get dressed, came back and lost it. Guess that will teach me to save copy.

Now I must leave for an appointment but I'll be back later. Sorry for the delay.

5. sascha

sascha Member

good- i look forward to hearing- sascha *i also want to know the effects this way of eating has had on you- thanks
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Sasha -

OK, first of all, you know my diet is not aimed at being gluten-free, just grain and sugar-free - and pretty much preservative-free. I don't make any special things, I just don't eat bread, pasta, crackers, etc. or sugary foods which I used to crave. I have ME-CFS so I can't tell you that I'm cured but I do have more energy as long as I pace myself, get decent sleep and watch the stress. I take Armour Thyroid and a Temazapam for sleep, nothing else.

The key for me has been eating healthy snacks mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I don't let myself get terribly hungry. I munch on raw almonds or a small piece of chicken wrapped in a slice of Swiss cheese or cottage cheese topped with a little bit of fruit or a half an apple.

For breakfast I have either scrambled eggs with feta cheese, an omelet with sweet onions and red pepper or plain, organic yogurt topped with a barely ripe banana and chopped walnuts on top or once a week I have oatmeal with chopped apples and walnuts.

Lunch is always a big salad, the base of which is usually baby spinach and romaine lettuce that I make a couple of times a week. I add slices of small yellow squash, zucchini, chopped celery, red pepper or green, cherry tomatoes - any kind of raw veggie I have. I top it off with cold chicken, tuna or a hard-boiled egg if I haven't had eggs for breakfast. I add some diluted Ranch dressing (my one exception to prepared food) and toss a handful of unsalted sunflower seed kernels on top of that. I crave that salad now like I used to crave sugar.

For dinner, I have chicken or fish (I'm big on salmon) and steamed fresh vegetables. I don't eat beef or pork. There are times now when I don't feel like cooking so I keep some preservative-free Stouffers entrees and Lean Cuisine with brown rice in the freezer as well as some Morning Star veggie burgers. I have quite a varied diet and simple to prepare.

After about two weeks I no longer craved bread, crackers, etc. or sugar. I think eating a lot of bread/grains keeps our sugar cravings alive. On Father's day I had a small piece of rhubarb pie and thought I'd pay for it but I was fine since I ate it after my meal and I don't eat sugar often.

The most noticeable thing to other people is how much weight I've lost. In fact, I wish I could add a few pounds because my clothes are all loose! I've gone from a size 10 to a size 6.

I asked my doctor about my reaction to sugar and bread. Her answer was that "some people seem to feel better on a limited diet". Not a lot of help there.

Let me know if I can give you any more information. I'll check back later.

Good luck and good health!
  7. sascha

sascha Member

this is what i love- to get the actuality of what this approach entails for you. it really helps me.

my innards seem so much happier going off processed grains, even gf ones. and yes, i notice my appetite calms down to an amazing degree. when i do carbs, my appetite is insatiable. when i go off, i'm a different person. don't need so much food. don't obsess about it. it's a constant balancing act, staying off the carbs in a good way, though. i want lots of salads, vegs, fruits, raw nuts, but sometimes will succumb and grab something/anything that's quick.

i must be vigilant, because for me it is clear that my digestive system is much much happier when i eat this way. when i eat badly, i suffer.

it is true that craving for sugar and chocolate and refined carbs disappears when i keep myself grain-free.

thanks very much- Sascha
  8. sascha

sascha Member

why did you go on this plan in the first place?

you sure are petite. i want to get down another ten pounds, but gradually.

i'm having a complete hormone panel of testing done, and hope to go on prescribed amounts of whatever bio-identical hormones are indicated based on testing. i hope this will give me the next step up from cfids. i've been on valcyte- am now on acyclovir- i had extremely high HHV-6 to start with. this treatment helped me somewhat, but i still bottom out regularly and predictably, so i'm hoping balancing hormones might give me a lift. i need it because i'm helping to look after twins (grandchildren).

thanks, Marta- (imagine needing to gain weight!) probably helps getting around being so light.

Sascha *i made ground walnut pancakes again today- just the nuts, 2 eggs, some almond milk, some arrowroot- whisked it all together and cooked in frying pan. very good.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

About three years ago my doctor's PA - whom I loved and who is no longer there :>( - suggested I read the Paleo Diet. That was the beginning for me but it promotes all sorts of meat and I'm not a big meat-eater. I decided to do a little refining and here I am.

What I need now is a really good doctor. The doctor where the PA was is totally without knowledge or interest in ME-CFS. I need to look at your profile to see where you live.

The walnut pancakes sound good (you couldn't use soy milk?). What do you put on top? I think I'm hungry!

Catch you later.
  10. sascha

sascha Member

i put frozen berry sauce, generally. i put frozen raspberries and blueberries in small saucepan, add 2 packets of stevia, and slowly heat it up. then i put some raw honey in at the end.

but i must confess, the last time i had them, i put butter and maple syrup. last my sugar was tested, i was ok, and candida seems under control last it was checked. but i aim to stay off sugar items- minimize them when i do have some- usually.

my energy thing is a quandary right now. i seem to be programming myself to be ok-ish when over with my grandchildren, and i help take care of them for 2-3 days a week. then i go home and seem unable to do anything during the time i have before going back to help with babies. i can't seem to get out of that rut. i really really want this time and connectioin with the twins, and seem to be doing it, but at the expense of much of any life when i'm at home (besides quality couch time).

i live in San Francisco- i come from Vermont- love it in SF- miss Vermont, though. best, Sascha
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think we can get away with sugar now and then in small amount, like my rhubarb pie.

Seems to me you've earned the right to enjoy the babies, then zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Taking care of children is a huge job! Because you enjoy it doesn't mean it's not extremely tiring. They're only young once.

San Francisco! I want to go there someday. Quite a difference from Vermont.

Take care,