marta608...tansy ...and others on the Paleo type diet..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Aug 13, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have questions...LOL

I just bought the book yesterday on this diet...Some of the reciepes look wonderful..

Do you make a lot of these?? or do you just make stuff up yourself??

I have really been watching my salt...I am feeling much better...I think I am heading in a good direction for me..

The thing I am worried about is the sulfites...I have a problem with them and a lot of the foods I have some problems with...Does it get better with time??

Like onions and garlic...And it is hard for me to find fish that is not got some sort of preservative on it..

I don't have a problem with meat and veggies and some fruits I can get organic...

Any suggestions for me with shopping with these problems??

Also...What about the foods in the eat right for your type that they say to avoid...do you go buy that still when you do the receipes with the paleo?? Do you just use the two together?? I am trying so hard and don't want to make something and then pay for it..

Thanks

SherylD
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2006]
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I just get creative with whatever ingredients I have. I eat as many of my veggies as possible raw, especially in the warmer months. Some with very poor digestive function need to eat lightly cooked veg to begin with, they can be stir fried, baked, or steamed.

Shopping is quick and easy; I go to the fresh produce counters only in large stores or use small local stores. My basket mostly consists of protein sources, veg (not starchy veg), fruit and nuts. I use herbs but grow most of my own in pots in my backyard.

In the cooler months I use my slow cooker a lot to cook meat. If I use commercial stock it's organic and MSG etc free.

I solved my problems with sulphites/sulphur by taking molybdenum. Professor Malcolm Hooper in the UK has written extensively about autism, GWS, ME (CFIDS), and MCS. He explains sulphur metabolism well and recommends molybdenum. If you try this yourself please start with a very low dose, it can trigger detoxing; this is good of course but most of us need to go about any detoxing carefully and slowly.

Reading about the Perricone, blood type, and other similar diets helped me; whilst doing so I remained mindful of pet theories.

We are each as biologically unique as our individual DNA; so aim for what looks right based on past experience, then it'll be trial and error. Once you get the basics right you will soon be able to judge whether additional foods suit you.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2006]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hey, SherylD, good for you!

What I found was that the two diets (Paleo and Eat Right) contradicted what was right for me. Paleo, as you know, promotes lean animal protein while my blood type says no meat for me. Confusing? Yes. I find that red meat moves very slow moving through my digestive tract so I stick pretty much with chicken, lean pork and some fish. I'm not even fond of fish but tuna once a week is good, I put it on salads. I also like any individually frozen fish because that's often the freshest unless you catch it yourself.

I was very careful with the diet for a month and felt better together with the increase in vitamin D. Even though I questioned the no-salt rule it seemed to help with pain to eliminate it.

I missed salt on eggs and some meats so I now sprinkle only a tiny bit on and it seems to be enough. I've found that I had to make it fit what I can tolerate or I wouldn't stick to it.

Since I've had a complication in my life recently I've had to leave strict adherence to the diet for now but I will get back on it soon.

Keep me posted! Good luck.

Marta

4. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks so much for your help...

I have been really trying hard at this...I am not sure what molybdenum is and where do I get it? Have you ever heard of Taurine? It sounds like they may do the same sort of thing??

I read where people with sensititvities take this to ease the effects...

Thanks for the articles I have been trying to read as much as I can...but I still can't get it all put together..

The thing I always have left is the burning muscle pain...I have not found anything to get rid of that..I usually just stick it out but sometimes I have to take ibuprofin...I don't like to take stuff..

I have herbs going in pots too...I use them alot

Thanks again for your help..
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for responding..

I am finding that the whole salt thing is a real big issue for me...Since April I have been having terrible swelling... I didn't eat that much salt but obviously even the slight bit makes me swell...

If I just eat a little now within hour I am swelling in my arms and feet..It is so uncomfortable..

Well in the last week I have cut it out all together and I feel like I have shrunk...I lost 6-8 lbs. which I don't really need to loose but it does feel better...

I know this all takes time...Did you have testing done at all to see if you were low on vitamins and such???

You talked about the vit. D...I know I feel better after I have been out in the sun but that might not mean anyting..

What other supplements do you take???

Thanks again
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

7. tansy

tansy New Member

Molybdenum supports the pathways that deal with sulphur and sulphites; I have used this since early last year. Taurine had an adverse effect upon me; I am only beginning to understand why now thanks to Dr Yasko’s work as featured on Winsomme’s topic “autism treatment for CFS”. I do know taurine has helped others with these DDS

There's a good article on taurine at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_6/ai_71948215

I posted this on Stormyskye's topic on molybdenum

"Molybdenum is an essential trace mineral which changes the toxic sulfite molecule to the important sulfate molecule which is used in important biochemical reactions, such as cartilage repair (glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate) and toxin binding (sulfation detox path in liver). Molybdenum functions in this capacity at the end of the homocysteine pathway. The sulfur that is produced not only helps to bind and remove toxins; it replaces the sulfur stolen from mercury.

Homocysteine nutrients are nutrients, which facilitate the pathway that prevents toxic buildup of homocysteine, while at the same time furnishing vital sufur for detoxing lead and other metals in the liver detox pathway. The sulfur helps replace what is stolen from lead and mercury exposure, and replenishes stores for sulfur-containing nutrients.

Homocysteine is recycled to methionine in the presence of B12, folic acid, and methyl donors such as choline or betaine (trimethylglycine). The Sam-e, which comes from the pathway, then travels to methylate phosphatidylserine and other essential brain nutrients. B6 (active form pyridoxal-5-phosphate) and magnesium help take homocysteine to cysteine."

I take Mg, TMG, methylfolate (metafolin), methyl B12, and B6 (P5P).

Low salt and vit D3 supps/sunlight suit me as well; the former learned the hard way as usual ;-).

TC, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for the article on taurine...

I really have a hard time understanding all of this...All these big words just don't make sense to me..But I really appreciate all your help...

Right now I feel more frustrated than anything...and I of course like everyone else here just wants to feel better..I know I am on the right track but I feel I just need a boost and I don't want to take any supplement that are not necessary or are going to make things worse..

I do think the molybdenum would help me...I didn't see a post from stormyskye on it??...I did do a search and found some other people talking about it...I will do a little more reading with that..

I really have been feeling out of sort lately...Then today I woke up and could not move my head...my neck and shoulders are so tight and all the muscles down my back...And sooo tired...I feel it is sulfite related..Just because of some of the foods I have been trying to eat again are high in sulfites(onion, garlic, some nonorganic fruits)..I get hungry and sick of the same stuff..

I know it is a bumpy road...I do good when I feel good...but then when I don't feel good it is hard to eat right..

Would your pain go up with certain foods you eat??? I also have itching in alot of the same spots...mostly my armpits..But I itch and get hive in other places too..I take a claritin every night before bed but I think I am going to stop that to try to really pinpoint what it is from..

If you have anymore suggestions I would love to hear it..

SherylD
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

Taurine is a sulfonic acid, so if you are having problems with sulphur and sulphites it may be better to put it on the shelf for now.

My diet, supps, and alternatives, increased my overall energy levels and brought my pain levels down to liveable with levels most of the time. I have mechanical problems so cannot expect to be pain free. In my case the longer I stayed on my diet etc the more benefits I gained in terms of inflammation and pain.

It’s not easy finding what causes what reaction, sometimes it turns out to be a combo of things; but once things improve and become more stable the triggers are easier to identify. I understand your frustration, it’s not easy in the earlier stages; the gains are often gradual. Sometimes I find myself feeling frustrated, then I look back to how I used to be all the time and realise how far I have actually come: I never want to go back to where I was before.

I found the best way to cope with my diet was to stop thinking of it in terms of breakfast, lunch, and dinner; but eat as my ancestors would have eaten ie when I need to. I have a very relaxed attitude towards my meals and food choices, which means I don't focus on them unless food shopping or preparing a meal. Once the gains become more obvious and established it's easier to stay on track.

TC, Tansy