mass in rt upper lung? is it cancer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Iggy_RN, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I just got my x-ray results today, they said I have a mass in upper rt lung? Anybody else have this or exp. w/stuff in lungs, please help... CT scan is going to be scheduled In 48 hours. Please give me info, im so afraid................... Iggy
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I can't help you out with suggestions,but I'll be thinking good thoughts and hope everything turns out OK~
    What lead you for the X-rays?? were you having symptoms of chest pain or shortness of breath??Maybe a few more details can help others here give you their ideas or thoughts on this~ Warm Hugs going out to you :)
  3. Hippen

Hippen New Member

My mother passed away of lung cancer in 1996...she was 65 years old. I do know that the CT scan will be able to tell more about the mass...they need to see if it is fluid or a solid tissue mass. It could be an infection and several other things besides cancer. I guess the next step would be a needle biopsy after the CT scan? Did you see the xray? Was the mass dark colored or white on the xray image? I will say some prayers for you and please let us know about what the docs find in the CT scan. I know you are very scared. We are here for you !!! Love, Hippen
  4. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

hERE IS THE FULL REPORT.......i AM BRINGING IN AN OLD X-RAY FROM 10 YEARS AGO, SO THEY CAN COMPARE..........
    The lung fields show no focal infiltrates or effusions. there is a fullness in the right upper mediastinum adjacent to the trachea. It is not clear whether this is w/in the mediastinum or possible w/the lung parenchyma. correlation w/previous plain films would be extremely helpful. In absence of a prior, a CT scan of the chest would be recommended to further evaluate. The remainder of the cardiac silhouette and mediastinum are normal in appearance. The bones appear to be intact.
    IMPRESSION; SOFT TISSUE FULLNESS IN THE RIGHT UPPER MEDIASTINUM . THIS IS UNCERTAIN ETIOLOGY AND COMPARISON W/PRIORS FILMS WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL. IN THE ABSENCE OF PRIORS, A CT SCAN OF THE CHEST WOULD BE RECOMMENDED TO FURTHER EVALUATE.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  5. Hippen

Hippen New Member

so far at least. You have no focal(visual) holes in your lungs (Infiltrates)which means you do not have progressed cancer throughout your lungs . And you have no effusion...which is collection of fluid in lung area...meaning you probably do not have TB or pnuemonia. Sounds like from the report that they are just being very careful to check everything out. They need to see your old xrays as a baseline...to see how you are normally shaped inside to see if it has changed at all. Have they done a CBC to check your whiteblood cell count? My guess would be that this is a benign cyst or swollen soft tissue...maybe even a swollen lymph node. If this is cancer...that is a big if....you have caught it early and the outlook is good. Could you please keep me updated on your progress as I will be worried about you. Insist on the CT scan even if they compare your old xrays and new xrays and think they look the same...just to make sure. I will pray for you and for good reports in the future. Love, Hippen
  6. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

The more I read it I think it sounds OK too. You know what started this whole thing is my fear and the DOc's assistant flat out saying that there is a mass that needs to be checked out.... but I asked for a copy and read it over and over, and you are right it does sound ok... Could my mycoplasma pneumonaie be responsible for any of this soft tissue fullness? That was also my dx 2 months ago... EVER SINCE MY DX W/ FM I feel so bad all the time, It does feel like something else is wrong, but I know now that all of us feel the exact same way... Thank you so much < I almost felt like that was it... Love Iggy
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Don`t worry to much yet. My doctors saw a big spot on my lung x-rays one time. I went home for the weekend fearing the worst. It turned out to be just a shadow, nothing more.
    My next x-ray was normal.

I`ll say a prayer for you that all turns out well.
  8. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I had a mass show up on a CT scan of my lung and the DR., concerned that it was cancer, ordered an exploratory operation.

Biopsies were taken and it turned out to be Sarcoidosis; these are benign tumors that look like cancer on xrays. This was three years ago and it subsided by itself and has been in remission ever since.

The Internist said that this was probably what I had had all along. My regular Dr. said, nope, too many other symptoms, and just because I'm a Zebra it doesn't mean I can't get what horses get. I was really sick when both illnesses were flaring together though.

Sarcoidosis can show up anywhere but it comes mainly in the lungs. Mine went away by itself but it is treated with cortisone or if you can't take that, Plaquenil works.

I'll be thinking of you,

Love,

Sandra
  9. paula45

paula45 New Member

You might think is a goofy, off-the-wall reply; but, I spent many years transcribing x-rays for many different radiologists and this is the first impression I get from your report. Usually, in the report, a radiologist will call tumors a "mass". Since your report (both in the body and impression) refer to this as fullness, I don't think they suspect cancer. That's just what my gut says from reading between the lines. I certainly could be wrong, but that's just what I feel from what I saw. Keep good thoughts. The report doesn't sound bad to me.
    HUGS
    Paula
  10. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

keep things in perspective, Just pray for me please for whatever this is to be treatable. My girl is seven and Im 38 yrs old, and am finally content w/life, and am training to be a nurse. I want to see my girl grow old, and I want to grow old w/my wonderful man of 18yrs. I will keep you all in my prayers as well. Saroidosis, benign tumors, grey spots, there are a few of you that have gone thru something similar or even worse, I just pray for the strength of God to be upon us all, and be positive and enjoy each moment we have, why is it that these horrible things always make one realize that it could be worse? Blessings, Iggy
    PS, I did not see the x-ray myself, I just have the report from the radiology office. I smoked for many years, I was the one who wanted to rule out any problems just to be safe. I really have had no symptoms or pain in my chest at all, BP ok, They have done a CBC and said everything was normal. [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  11. Hippen

Hippen New Member

I know that I also would be scared...a normal reaction. I think Docs that know their patients are nurses can be a little insensitive when talking about conditions. But on the other hand...at least he laid it on the line for you instead of beating around the bush and keeping you in the dark. We have things in common...I have a 7 year old daughter...she will be 8 next month. We are also close in age...I will be 36 in October. My hubby and I have also been together 18 years...LOL. Like I said before the report sounds good and even if something serious is present....it has been caught early. I have a really good feeling that it will turn out to be just some type of benign swelling in the soft tissue with some lymph node involvement of some sort. Soft tissue usually does not show up clearly on an xray so the CT scan is a good idea. I want you to take a deep breath and procede one day at a time. It is going to be hard for you to totally relax until more is found out but keep your positive attitude. I am sending you some cyber hugs with this post...and I will continue to pray. Love, Hippen
  12. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am sorry you are going through this. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I really feel that these gals are right..this is something that has caused the soft tissue to respond in swelling. I know it is not easy to stay calm and think positive thoughts..but please try.

Wishing you well..and keep us updated as you can. ..Sherry
  13. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

The DOC called this morning and set up a CT scan for tomorrow morning. I already have my x-rays w/me now. Thank you Hippen, They decided to move pretty fast didnt they?
    Help me keep my focus on good things, Love Iggy[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2003]
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

For Iggy!! It sounds like the pneumonia you had could have scarred the lung~ Keep the possitive thoughts girl....we're all here and behind you 100%. ((Hugs))
    :)
  15. Hippen

Hippen New Member

and I also wanted to tell you that my heart will be with you tomorrow during the CT scan. Ask, I mean demand that the doc to put a "stat" code on the results so that you may hear the results faster. I had a big lump in my breast that I once thought was cancer. I was very scared and had imaging tests that proved that it was not cancer. I know how scared that you are right now, but you are very strong. You stay in charge of this situation and use the love of your daughter, husband and friends to get through the worry. I still have hope that this will turn out to be just soft tissue swelling and nothing serious. Could you please let us know what the CT scan shows. Whatever the CT scan shows...we will deal with it from there. The waiting can be pure torture and our minds tend to focus on bad thoughts. Keep busy and stay positive. I wish I was there to go with you to the CT scan. God is in ultimate control now so hold on to your faith that God will see you through. I will continue my prayers....let me know if I can help in anyway. I will be awaiting the results from the CT scan miles away...but with you in spirit. Love, Hippen
  16. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I know how afraid you must feel. I had a car accident a year ago and they did a CT scan to check the injuries to my neck. In the proces they found nodules on my thyroid. I went for and ultra sound and then a needle biopsy. Turned out malignant. I had surgery in Jan 2003 to remove my whole thryoid. 7 weeks ago I had radioactive iodine to zap any thyroid tissue and cancer left behind. The 3 weeks ago I went for total body scan. Now they say something suspicious is showing up again in the surgery site. So I need another ultra sound on Aug 6th. Could be some left over thyroid tissue or cancer. I too am scared but because I have fibro and know how detremental stress is I have to take things a day at a time. That way I can enjoy the moment. There is nothing worrying will do to change the diagnosis if there is more cancer . I have 3 beautifull grandchildren who I see every week. They are my joy and happiness. That is why I see them so much. Life is too short for me to get stuck worrying about things out of my control . I will say a prayer for you and hope your results are better than mine. If not just try to stay in the moment. It will save your sanity.
    love poodlemum
  17. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I know how afraid you must feel. I had a car accident a year ago and they did a CT scan to check the injuries to my neck. In the proces they found nodules on my thyroid. I went for and ultra sound and then a needle biopsy. Turned out malignant. I had surgery in Jan 2003 to remove my whole thryoid. 7 weeks ago I had radioactive iodine to zap any thyroid tissue and cancer left behind. The 3 weeks ago I went for total body scan. Now they say something suspicious is showing up again in the surgery site. So I need another ultra sound on Aug 6th. Could be some left over thyroid tissue or cancer. I too am scared but because I have fibro and know how detremental stress is I have to take things a day at a time. That way I can enjoy the moment. There is nothing worrying will do to change the diagnosis if there is more cancer . I have 3 beautifull grandchildren who I see every week. They are my joy and happiness. That is why I see them so much. Life is too short for me to get stuck worrying about things out of my control . I will say a prayer for you and hope your results are better than mine. If not just try to stay in the moment. It will save your sanity.
    love poodlemum
  18. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi iggy, i hope that i can offer some encouragement from my experience. On CT scan there was noted a large mediastinal mass, and i was advised to see a chest surgeon. the CT did mention thymic hyperplasia, which i researched and found goes hand in hand with many autoimmune disorders. Others on the board have it also. Probably most of us with this DD have it because of our illness, just never picked up. Hopefully this is what is going on with you. Get your CT and try to RELAX until you get results (make sure the radiology dept. is RELIABLE!!!!!!!!). I hope this is the case with you, my thymus was removed because it was so large he thought it was malignant, but turned out to be just an enlarged thymus gland, 8cmx4cm. Please know that i and many others are praying for you, keep us posted! Good luck to you! Laurie
  19. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I will keep you in my prayers... Your outlook and positive nature will help you so much in this fight... You sound like you have a lot more courage than me... I pray that this will be ok for you and put in remission asap. Love Iggy
  20. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

They did an iodine chest scan and one chest scan w/out iodine. I feel that what ever is going to happen is completely out of my control, so I can not go nuts like I've been. I just feel relieved to be talkiing online about how I feel and just reading all your stories help encourage me so much... You are all in my prayers, Love Iggy