Massage: Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

I had a massage today for the first time in a year. I also had it by someone new, although the one a year ago was deeper and really worked out a lot of trigger points.

This massage was so much harder on me than ever before. I don't know if it is because the as-yet undiagnosed fibro has progressed a little. I suspect so.

I could feel myself getting relaxed as the massage progressed, BUT. But even medium pressure was uncomfortable to my skin and I was more aware of tender point discomfort. But I felt some nauseated aching after, even though I was more relaxed. But although she didn't work much on the front of my shoulders, I feel like they and my collarbone are going to be SO sore tomorrow!

I am so tired and achy already. And it isn't really a good type of tired. Usually I have the "wet noodle" effect because I am so relaxed and could go right to sleep. Not this time. I feel like I've been through the wringer. I hope it is just her and massages won't all be difficult. I don't want to give up massages!

Anyone else have a hard time with massages after FMS?
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Musica,
    I have a massage therapist that specilizes in massage for people with fibro. She also has a degree in physiology. It's worth the extra effort to see if you can find a massage therapist who deals with fibro clients. Mine dosen't go near as deep on me,so it's much easier to take.

Good luck!
    K.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Used to have over an hour massages on a regular basis, until about 7 years ago, began to feel worse after them. Imagine the detoxing got too much.

Now I just have very light, and not full body massages, and do fine with them.

Have to make sure your masseuse has "good, clean" energy & doesn't pass on her anger or "stuff" to you.

LIGHT**********carole
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I agree with Carole. I had to change massage therapists a few years ago and she gave me what I thought was a "great" massage working out all the knots in my back. When she told me to turn over, I couldn't! I was in agony.

It took me a good 5 min. to get turned over, trying not to scream the whole time. Then when it was time to get off the table I had to wiggle and slither off it onto the floor. I was in terrible pain for days.

That was the last massage I had for years. I found a new massage therapist who gives my CFS/FM friend deep, detoxing massages. I told her that I couldn't handle that type of massage and asked if she could massage me differently.

She assured me that she could, and I have been having wonderful massages every week for 3 months now. She knows my problem and is very careful not to go too deep. The massage actually hurts a little when she is doing my most painful areas, but afterwards I feel better.

I think you have to make sure that you get a very good therapist who is knowledgeable about FM and is willing to adjust her treatment to your needs.

Good luck with this. A good massage can make a real difference in your life.
    Pepper