massage made shoulder pain worse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosetta, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I went for a massage of my back shoulders, and neck two weeks in a roll. About two days after the first massage, the pain in my shoulders was severe. I also had the same thing happed after the second massage. I thought that massage was suppose to help. Anyone else had this problem.
    The massage felt great at the time but did not last.
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I seem to get more pain after my physio appointment these days, but physio says to be expected, but next day is better.

Is the pain better the next day?

perhaps it feels worse before feels better?

just a thought.

sometimes it's hard to know if massage/physio is just aggravating injury/problem or if "no pain, no gain"

Jen F
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Funny you should mention this. I posted about shoulderblade pain last week. Well, it disappeared
    for a few days. Today I went in the hot tub and now
    it hurts all over again! What is it with these pains.
    We try to help them and they resist!!!

Lynn
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Perhaps we must approach as Borgs.

"Resistance is FUTILE!"

Forgive me, I'm a trekkie on drugs.
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

Rosetta - The first maybe three sessions will hurt like heck but I think you will find an overall improvement after this. Massage therapy can be great but the trick is to keep up a maintanance level. I stopped a few months ago and I really need to start this again.

I would give it another shot and then see how you feel. I do know some cannot tolerate it.

2girls
  6. toots2

toots2 New Member

Some of us just cannot tolerate massage no matter how light the touch. I have tried with several different massage therapists but only end up hurting for days and days afterwards. The last one didn't even touch me, just used the heat from her hands to work on my muscles and I hurt so much I was in bed for a week. I won't be trying it again. Toots
  7. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I have had this experience also. I am sure everyone is different, but what works for me is a VERY light massage. Just enough to relax. Whenever I have had any other type, it may feel good at the moment, but I suffer afterwords. I love my massages as long as I can get the very light ones. Just make sure your massage person understands. Good luck to you.