Massage therapy has been wonderful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Seagull, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Seagull

Seagull New Member

This is about the 4th week that I have had massage therapy for the fms and mps, and I can really feel a difference.

I am fortunate to have found a registered massage therapist who is trained in dealing with the pain of fms and the knotty muscles of mps -- she does the myofascial release wonderfully. I have seen a significant reduction in my pain levels for some 15 to 20 hours between treatments. I go 3 times a week at this point. So far, I can only tolerate 10 to 12 minutes per treatment, but that has been more than enough to achieve more relief for me than any med ever did. I am never at a 0 to 1 on the pain scale, but these treatments have lowered the levels to a 2 to 3 for those several hours inbetween and that has been such heaven!

And, thanks to the ZMA, I am averaging a solid 5.5 to 7 hours of sleep per day, on most days. So, I am really enjoying my life so much more now. I know I will still have to deal with occasional flares, but I now have more in my arsenol to fight them with. :)

Wishing painfree days for everyone.
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

This is about the 4th week that I have had massage therapy for the fms and mps, and I can really feel a difference.

I am fortunate to have found a registered massage therapist who is trained in dealing with the pain of fms and the knotty muscles of mps -- she does the myofascial release wonderfully. I have seen a significant reduction in my pain levels for some 15 to 20 hours between treatments. I go 3 times a week at this point. So far, I can only tolerate 10 to 12 minutes per treatment, but that has been more than enough to achieve more relief for me than any med ever did. I am never at a 0 to 1 on the pain scale, but these treatments have lowered the levels to a 2 to 3 for those several hours inbetween and that has been such heaven!

And, thanks to the ZMA, I am averaging a solid 5.5 to 7 hours of sleep per day, on most days. So, I am really enjoying my life so much more now. I know I will still have to deal with occasional flares, but I now have more in my arsenol to fight them with. :)

Wishing painfree days for everyone.
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

It is so great to hear such news. I know the PT Barnes(sp) has a clinic near use and a doc right here in our town that studied under him. I wish we could find one that took insurance. But, our Chrio does Myofasal and we have seen improvement not as good as yours but, improvment and better movement is so wounderful.
    Great to hear you're getting some sleep to.

Take care, Kim and Gary
  4. Seagull

Seagull New Member

who was eager to send me to the chiropractor out of whose office this massage therapist works. All the visits and treatments are covered by my insurance, because I fall under the clause for having a medical need for alternative pain treatment, which includes the massage therapy.

My new PCP is actually a former PCP (from a now defunct HMO plan) who is very familiar with my history of bad reactions to all pain meds previously taken. His words to me were, "You are not a candidate for pain meds, so we need to try the alternative non-drug treatment first." He also said that his first 2 objectives for me would be to get better sleep and some pain relief. He was happy to agree to the ZMA, which I had begun taking, and then referred me to the chiro for pain management, including fibro and myofascial massage and release.

I believe he will also be in my corner concerning my case with SSD. He made the comment that it was a good thing that I was no longer working. So, I am hopeful on that account, as well. :)
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

to but, the two places here that do Barnes PT they don't take insurance. Our Chrio do have a few types of massage theropy but, we are seeing a new Chrio and his buisness manger doesn't know what codes to use with our insurance. I guess I will call the insurance sompany and get them myself. I have though about calling the other Chiro but, am a bit nervious to ask what codes they used. Dumb, hu.

Good luck with SSDI, Gary got his 6 months after he applied and our doc was so great. Kim and Gary