massage therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atpeace, Oct 6, 2005.

1. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Hi! I'm pretty new to this board, so please forgive me if this topic has recently been covered!

About 10 years ago I was in a Fibromyalgia support group, and I recall several people saying that full body massage was very helpful to them, and was even covered by their insurance.

Have any of you tried reguar massage therapy or deep tissue massage?

I've always thought I wouldn't particularly care for a stranger to be rubbing on my body ;), but I recently had a facial and really enjoyed it. Obviously, not the same thing as a body massage, but at least I wasn't completely freaked out by someone touching me!

I've been dealing with a flare-up the last couple months, and I'm just looking for new ways to deal with it. Thanks!

Lori

2. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Lori, massage therapy can be very beneficial, especially for fibromyalgia. It's important to deal with a massage therapist that is familiar with fibromyalgia, however, so as not to aggravate the situation.

A knowledgeable fibromyalgia massage therapist can be very helpful. That would be the first question I'd ask. You might ask the fibro support group for a recommendation.

I have a great massage therapist. I not only get a great massage, but get nutritional and psychological counseling as well. She's the bargain of the century.

Sbilek
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I can only afford it about once a month, but I've been seeing her about three years. I get either a 1 hour or a 1 1/2 hour session, and she can do massage or cranio-sacral or focus on areas that I'm having a particular problem with.
  4. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Thanks for your replies, Sbilek and Juloo!

Massage really is sounding like a good idea for me. Right now I'm at work and aching all over, so just laying on a table sounds pretty darn relaxing!

An hour or more sounds like an awful long time, tho. What is the typical cost in your areas for a body massage? Does your insurance cover it?

Hey, I'm cheap ;)

Lori
  5. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Lori, in my area, the typical cost is $50 to $60 for an hour, and if your doctor prescribes it, sometimes insurance will pay, depends on your coverage.

Sbilek
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Lori,
    Massage works well for me and I get it regularly. It is relaxing and can get the knots out if need be. I agree, though, that you should make sure your therapist knows about FM. I would be a little careful with deep tissue massage. It may help some with FM but it can cause a flare.

Enjoy

Kathy.

7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I had a regular massage soon after I was dx with FM...and it sent me into a flare. No more of that even with the lady who said she knew about FM and was being more gentle.

What I have found helpful...but painful...is trigger point massage. It is unlike regular massage as the therapist works on the trigger points (and we have a ton of those!) to loosen them and release the tension.

Like I said, it hurts when they do it, but in the long run, it has helped me. Maybe if I could learn to relax more I wouldn't have this trouble.

So, that is my experience. I think regular massage can be wonderful or terrible, and I suppose the kind that helps me is the same way.

Hope you find some relief for your flare. Whatever works!

Hugs,
    Sue