Massage therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petesdragon, Nov 4, 2006.

1. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I went to one massage therapist and she spent all the time she worked on me talking about I should not take medicine, I should not go to doctors, I caused my own problems etc.

I told the doctor who recommended her what she said and he said he wouldn't recommend her any more.

The next massage therapist told me all about her love life, how smart she was, and went on endlessly about her pet rat having to go to the vet to have tumors removed etc. I finally realized I felt worse when she worked on me.
    She sometimes "forgot" I was allergic to eucholiptis and tried to use it. I always smelled it immediately.

Dr Phil (whom I think is full of it and uses his show to embarrass people) said one wise thing. When he goes to a massage therapist the rule is no talking except to ask him to change positions. That would be a good rule to establish on the first visit.
  2. huska

huska New Member

Hi. I do massage theraphy every week. I'm lucky that I found a wonderfull person. I am alergic to eucholiptis too and I only told her once. She just uses a diferent thing to relax.

I think it's true. It's better if you just don't talk.....

Good luck finding a good one.
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I couldn't agree more, I do not want to talk when I am getting massage therapy. It is more stressful to me, I would rather relax and not worry about the conversation flow at that time. The massage therapist I had was really good at what she did with a minimal amount of talking. I hope to go back to her for my neck and back pain soon. Hope you find a good one also! Take care, Kim
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

My massage therapist is doing deep tissue and trigger point therapy and she explains the muscles and how everything is connected while she works that area. I wouldn't be able to concentrate on small talk since the therapy is very intense.
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

Hello there. I am a Massage Therapist. I never say anything through a massage unless the client wants to talk. It is very distracting and defeats the purpose of getting the full benefits of a relaxing massage when you can't escape the realities of life.

I only talk 1-2 times and that's to ask if the pressure is ok. It is a compliment to me for someone to not talk and end up snoring.

Yes. I would most definantly try different therapists until you find the right one. Good Luck!!!

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2006]
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

That sounds really annoying. I remember once I read in a beauty magazine article, where the editors were talking about how they got out of talking to people doing massages or manicures or whatever, and they said they would just say 'i've had a really long day so i'm just going to nod off a little if that is alright', and usually it would stop the people from chattering on.
  7. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I wish massage therapy was covered under insurance. It helped me so much, I didn't realize that it was like that, what talkers! Hehe.

Keep it up though, even if you have to switch, it's great that you get to go (though I imagine you make your sacrifices to be able to)
  8. IMHOT

IMHOT New Member

petesdragon,
    Massage therapy is a wonderful treatment for my symptoms. I feel , as most treatments , we respond to it differently. I have been to several therapists and they all have their own demeanor. Some patients prefer to talk but I respond better to silence. Since this is a relatively new means of treatment there has been an outbreak of many therapists thus giving us a great chance of finding the one that is most compatible to our needs. I would keep looking.I have tried many many things but I have the best luck with massages. Unfortunately it is very expensive and we need to pray that the insurance companies recognize its major benefits and start to cover it. Good luck to all and God bless.......
    imhot
  9. sweetpea48

sweetpea48 New Member

The one I go to (when I can afford it) is a small woman who has strong hands, but not quite strong enough for what I need. She does, however, have a wonderful demeanor, and only talks if I initiate the conversation. As soon as I hush, she does, too.

I wish insurance covered massage, too. It probably helps me more than anything. I am fortunate in that I get my massages at the out patient physical therapy department of the hospital where I work, and thus get a discount. $40/hr.
  10. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

My massage therapist is great. She says NOTHING. I have been going for a 1 hour massage every week for the past month. I will go again on Wednesday, but I am only going for 1/2 hr. as I am short on time. I hope it will be enough.

Massage therapist should be quiet, as this is part of the therapy. Hairdressers talk to you.
  11. maryld

maryld New Member

The trick is to answer a question or two/respond to a thing or two but after dont say a word. I know it is hard because you dont want to seem rude.Or pretend you are sleeping. I talk at first because i had been going to him for awhile and had formed a friendship with him.(sort of)Just remember you are paying and nothing is worse then leaving more stressed than when you came in.I miss my massages....no money:( Good luck. Oh, one more thing, local spas are usually the most professional.