Massage Therapy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hawkeye, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I know a lot of you use massage therapy to help with the pain and stiffness of fibromyalgia. What type of massage to you get? I know there are many different types and I have only had one massage in my entire life and I know that one made me feel like I had been ran over by a truck when I was finished and for a few days after.

I am wanting to try massage but I do not want to go through that again.

Thanks,
    Karen
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

You probably need to start out with a basic swedish massage. This is more of a relaxing massage. I would not start out with anyhting very deep as you will feel like you have been run over by a truck from being sore afterwardds.

BE SURE TO TELL YOUR THERAPIST THAT YOU HAVE FIBROMYAGIA AND ASK HER/HIM IF THEY ARE FAMILIAR WITH IT. IF NOT, KEEP SEARCHING OR EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT YOU ARE VERY TENDER TO THE TOUCH AND NOT TO DO A DEEP MASSAGE!!!!!

Kriket
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Thanks for all your responses.

We have a large massage school in Omaha and it is only 20 for 1/2 hour and 30 for an hour of massage.

The downside is they are students so you never get to develop a relationship with one person but I guess one could follow the student to where ever they went to work after graduating if they were that good.

I plan on quiting smoking on Tuesday and if I make it one month then I will treat myself to a massage. A very good motivator since I live on a very limited budget!

Take care!
    Karen
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Congratulations, Karen on your decision to quit smoking!

I've been quit for a year now and I did it the same way you're planning to - by spending my cigarette money on massage therapy.

I'm a great fan of massage therapy. For me it's been very helpful to relieve pain, promote relaxation and provide an overall sense of well being.

Unlike many people with fibromyalgia, I prefer a deep tissue massage. Afterward, I'm sometimes sore for a day or two but, once the soreness goes away, I feel good; less pain, greater range of motion, more energy.

I wish you all the best with your Quit and I hope you enjoy your massage.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa