MASSAGE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suncatcher, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Suncatcher

Suncatcher New Member

Hello everyone. I hope you all are having a good day. I am having a full body massage once a week for therapy. Someone mentioned that a hard massage is not good for FMS. Is this so? The therapist I have is extremely gentle and I think it should be harder.
  2. Suncatcher

Suncatcher New Member

Hello everyone. I hope you all are having a good day. I am having a full body massage once a week for therapy. Someone mentioned that a hard massage is not good for FMS. Is this so? The therapist I have is extremely gentle and I think it should be harder.
  3. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Regardless of FM, everyone responds differently to massage. It all depends on the pain. If it's a "good hurt", then it's OK to go deep, but when it becomes a "painful hurt", then the therapist needs to lighten up a little. It's all about your comfort level.

Alot of people feel ill after a deep tissue massage because there's alot of toxins being released.

The therapist also needs to be careful of "over-massaging" an area... you can make it worse that way. The problem with FM, is that therapists can take it personally that they can't make you feel pain-free and get out all the knots after a massage. They tend to "over-massage" because they can't get a knot out.

Enjoy your massages and make sure you communicate ANY discomfort with your therapist. If you don't like a particular technique, tell him/her. Also, don't be afraid to tell them to work more on a particular area. If it's a good therapist, they won't be offended, they'll be pleased that they can work with you this way.

-Shoobie

4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shoobie gave you some good advice. As long as you are not having discomfort, it should be fine.

When my muscles in my back are in spasms, my husband will rub them hard, and it does hurt. But the next day the pain from the Fibo is gone. So sometimes we do need a massage that is a little rough to work.

Good luck with your massages.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

and it felt great while I was getting it, but later that night the muscles in my neck got so tight that I started throwing up! So, I think no matter how good it feels, you should start out slow and work up to a full massage.
    Klutzo
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have the combo of MPS/FMS and when I lived up in Idaho, I'm in Ca now, my Best Friend there went to school to become a Massage Theraphist.

I started seeing her and she use's what is called "Soft Tissue Massage". It works great, I was a little sore at first, but Heck I had been sore for years.

I went 2 times a week for a month, then cut back to one a week. My feet really loves the massage, I can do most of my own body part's, lol, but it's not the same as lying there and relaxing while someone massages you.

I found it to be a great emontional release also, sometimes I would just be weepy. Not because the Massage hurt, but when she got to certain Triggers and they were released it just would happen. lol

Since I have moved to Ca, I can't afford them right now.
    As soon as hubby gets moved here and get the Karakoe going again, I will be back to the Massages.

I know a few folks here have made posts in the past about Massage therphy, and say that it's ok for it Hurt.
    I disagree and so does my Friend, but each of us has to make their own choices.

Swedish Massages can be Deep Tissue and Soft Tissue, I and my body respond better to the Soft Tissue. Be sure and talk to the Therphaist.

Haave a Painfree day,
    kredca4
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

What always sounded go nice just about kills me. I don't know about others, but I can barely stand for someone to touch my neck, shoulders or back. I can't even rub my own legs without deep tissue pain. My husband always thinks I'm overreacting or being overly dramatic if he playfully hits me on the shoulder or rubs my neck... I just can't bear the pain. I believe I am the most super-sensitive person in the world and it embarrasses me to death.
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Bowen therapy though and I would still be having it at our Rehab. Dept. but insurance will no longer pay.