massage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zita1081, Nov 18, 2002.

1. zita1081

zita1081 New Member

Has anyone found massage usefull for pain management?
  2. zita1081

zita1081 New Member

Has anyone found massage usefull for pain management?
  3. kay

kay New Member

I love to get a massage. I tell my massage therepist, to do it hard. I have such tense mucles in my neck and schoulders, that I need to be massaged hard. It loosens up all the tense muscles! Linda
  4. 2girls

2girls New Member

Massage is wonderful - for me anyway. Haven't been since
    June but I intend to start this again. The only problem
    was that I found the massage was waaay too rough (actually
    ended up in the er after second vist). By the third session
    I started feeling much better. This time around I have advised the therapist of the fibro (just diagnosed in JUL).
    She is familiar with this and understands we usually need
    gentler massages. I can't wait!

Good luck!
    2girls
  5. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

As a matter fact, I used massage therapy before I was diganosed. I can't wait until my health insurance kicks in, because the company will cover up to 4 massages a month...as long as my doctor prescribes it.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just bought a new Toyota Highlander and was amazed at what the hometown dealership does for us. While my car is in for oil changes, or for that matter, anytime I want, I can schedule a free back massage with their on-site masseuse. They cater lunch every day from a deli at 11:00. I can have lunch there anytime I want as well.

They have a work area for people to plug in their laptops so they can work while their cars are being serviced.

I certainly plan to take advantage of the back/neck/shoulder massage the next time I take my car in. Geez, that cuts the cost of oil changes significantly if one figures in the cost of even the most modest of massages. My neighbor said the masseuse is wonderful.

I just hope this family-owned business doesn't sell out to one of the big chains. Having a dealership who is commited to customer satisfaction is the main reason I bought a Toyota.

Love, Mikie
  7. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I guess I'm the oddball here. My rheumy sent me to a physcial therapist for the traditional heat pad/ massage/ ultrasound therapy. The heating pads were wonderful, because I got 20 minutes of wrapped up head-to-toe moist heat therapy, and it felt great....right up until the time he touched me! By the third visit, the couldn't even TOUCH me with the ultrasound ball (w/ no electricity, even), and my muscles would knot up into little hard balls. So we go do the massage therapy...muscles knot up into little hard balls, and it was the most excruciating thing I've ever been through! After 5 attempts, he told me was going to call my rheumy and tell her to forget it. He was making me worse. Isn't that bizarre? Glad you ladies found something that feels good for you, though. *sniff-sniff* for me, tho.
    Stormy
  8. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

but the vits, etc, the glucosamine, & my stationary bike have helped so much I don't need it right now.

My rheumy did tell me that it was Very Important to make sure the masseuse was experienced in dealing w/ fms patients, or it could make me worse. (Sounds like what happened to poor Stormy) He did say if I found someone good, massage therapy does help many people.

I think the same is true w/ physical therapy...they're both kinda like getting bloodwork...some techs are very good, some couldn't hit a vein if it had a bull's eye on it, lol!

Good luck, Michele

[ advertisement ]