Master List of Natural Anti-Virals! Add Yours!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

What have you found that has helped you the most in regard to natural or over-the counter anti-virals?

I'm making a master list of natural antivirals below - so I will add each persons anti-viral to the list...

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2007]
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I found Astrgalus works great. It actually killed the hepatitis c viruses my brother had. Also, adding coconut oil to your diet is one of the best ways to fight viruses, fungi and bacteria.

3. Elisa

Elisa Member

Beta glucan

Burdock root

Cat's Claw

Coconut Oil/Lauricidin

Colloidal Silver

Garlic extract

Green Tea

Indian Consumption Plant (Lomatium Dissectum)

Inositol or IP6

Lavender (essential oil)

Lemon balm (made fresh)

Licorice root extract

North American ginseng root extract

Olive Leaf Extract

Oregano Oil

Oscillocinum (homeopathic)

Pau D'arco

Sheep sorrel

St John's Wort

Sweet Annie (Artemisia annua)

Thymus extract

Transfer Factor

Undenatured Whey Protein

Virastop (enzymes)

Vitamin A, C & E

Wild Oats (Avena sativa)

[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2008]
    Abdulrahman likes this.
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Elisabeth!

I have found Virastop to be the strongest natural anti-viral, in my body, anyway.

However, it does make my heart hurt more, if I'm not taking hawthorn.

5. Elisa

Elisa Member

That is SOOOO interestng Forebearance.

Any theories on why that is?

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2007]
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hawthorn Vs. Herpes

"The antiviral and antioxidant activity of....[some ingredients*] in Crataegus [hawthorn] were evaluated....[They] exhibited significant inhibitory activity against herpes simplex virus type 1....[One such] compound....was shown to [a] scavenger for the [harmful] hydroxyl radical....[another] had the highest antioxidant activity [compared to other similar fruits.]"

*flavenoids and proanthocyanidins.

By Shahat, Cos, De Bryne, Apers, et al, in Planta Med., vol. 60, 2002. No affiliation indicated.

7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Ooooo, now that is interesting, too! I did not know that about hawthorn.

I don't know why anti-viral enzymes would make my heart hurt. Or why hawthorn fixes the problem. Could it be that we have a virus living in our hearts? (or some of us do)

That is a good question!

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Also, the zappers kill pathogens in the bloodstream.

Love, Mikie
  9. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

What a great list! Thank you for posting this. I have also heard that Pau D'arco is good too.

Oh and I definitely think that some of us have viruses living in or attacking our hearts. My heart has been having a lot of issues for almost a year now. I have been to a cardiologist and had tests done and everything came out fine. I believe my heart issues are because there is a virus messing with it.

10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I don't know if these work for me yet, but I'm trying them because of the great things I hear.

Cumanda/Burbur (Neutraceuticals from Neutramedix)

I do like Sambucol and ProBoost, which are good for colds, etc.

11. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Works like digoxin and digitalis but without the side effects.The extract of hawthorn can increase blood flow to the heart muscle itself.

It keeps blood vessels relaxes, it reduces blood pressure and permits freer flow of blood to the heart muscle. it can bring relief from chet pain, unusualy fast heartbeat (tachycardia) shortness of breath and hypertension.

" In pharmacological tests on both animals and humans, hawthorn has been shown to improve the contractility of the heart muscle (which can lead to a stronger pumping action of the heart), increase cardiac performance and output, lower the peripheral vascular resistance (reducing the workload of the heart), steady the heartbeat (antiarrhythmic effect), as well as increasing the heart's tolerance to oxygen deficiency, such as might happen during stress or excitement, or in diseases where the arteries are partially blocked.

May help to lower blood pressure. Used in early stages of congestive heart failure. Used to aid in long term recovery from heart attack. Helps to reduce the risk of angina attacks.

The berries’ effects on the circulatory system have been researched in Europe. Certain chemical constituents in the berries seem to enhance enzyme metabolism and oxygen utilization in the heart muscle."

It does work like heart meds do but without the side effects so if you are on any heart meds you should mention you are taking this to your doctor.

12. Poppy2

Poppy2 New Member

For a nice combo, reishi mushroom to calm the mind and strengthen the immune system. wild oats to strengthen and calm the nerves, working as a nervine tonic. Lavender flowers to soothe emotions and nerves. Sweet Annie has anitbacterial and anti viral properties. St. Johns wort for nerves and brain. And last but not least fresh garlic for it's strong antibacterial and anti viral majic.Take all 3 times a day , Figure it out. And have a glass of Red wine, for relaxing and anti- oxidants. Poppy
  13. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

14. Elisa

Elisa Member

Great additions! I alphabetized it for easier reading!
  15. tansy

tansy New Member

Resveratrol sourced from Japanese knotweed, not red grapes, is an anti viral that has been documented as treating quite a few of the viruses found in ME/CFS.

Andrographis has been used successfully as an anti viral in India.

Both these herbs are included in Stephen Buhner's core protocol for lyme disease; but they have also been used to treat a wide spectrum of infecions.

NB Hawthorn was successful in treating my heart Sx, the benefits typically built up over time. I'm using Dr Myhill's recommendations and have found I no longer need hawthorn.

TC, Tansy
  16. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Takuna from great

did anyone mention Isoprinosine? Not sure that is natural but it works.
  17. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I have to second the activity of Garlic.

I started taking it recently and started herxing with a fever. I thought it was the flu until I realised that I didn't get the fever on the days that I skipped the garlic. It's obviously doing something!

18. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Isoprosine or Immunovir I have tried. To be honest, did very little for me. It is a pharmaceutical from Europe but you can get it with your Doctors help. The good part is I had no side effects from it. Might be worth a try.
  19. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member