Mattress Shopping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yucca133, Sep 10, 2010.

1. yucca133

yucca133 Member

I'm in the market for a new mattress. I've been researching them for quite a while. I live in an area where there aren't many mattress stores and the ones that I've contacted do not have much in the way of "natural latex" mattresses. They often advertise a mattress as latex and then you find out that it is viscose latex (man-made stuff that breaks down quicker and may have an odor). I had hoped to be able to lay on one to see if I like the feel of them but

I like the idea of a natural Talalay and/or Dunlop combination latex mattress for many reasons. I've tried out a memory foam mattress and they are not for me. The main reasons for thinking a natural latex foam bed might be right for me is that: l) they sleep 'cool'; 2) they are dustmite free and antimicrobial; 3) they provide support by kind of pushing back at you. I need firm support - my ten year old bed is too soft now and seems to be affecting my neck and back badly. When I sleep on my daughter's bed (which is very firm) I wake up with a lot less pain. Lately I have a wicked neck ache and headache every day which is very debilitating for at least half of the day.

I did read in older posts that someone was not happy with the latex mattress because it was too soft and continued to soften. That wouldn't be good for me.

I have found online that the best price (even includes two latex pillows and a nice zippered cover) for a 6" Dunlop latex mattress with a 2" Talalay melded to the top for softness is priced at $2,099, mattress only. They give you a 180 day trial period. If you don't like it, you send it back. Heaven knows, how you roll it back up though!!

I dislike going into debt for a new mattress and am trying to assure myself that this might be the best choice. I've wondered if maybe I should get an inexpensive mattress and put a 2" latex topper on it to achieve firmness with a softer, yet supportive feel on top.

I've got to do something soon. I go to bed feeling ok and wake up feeling awful. I'm pretty sure it is a combination of fall allergies and the mattress.

If anyone has tried out a latex mattress and would post about their experience, I would sure appreciate it. I find it very confusing to go into a mattress store and try out the various beds. There is one that has a 4" latex topper built into it for $1,500 that might be a possibility. The latex is supposed to be very durable. They gurantee them for 20 years and some are guaranteed for 30 years. Decisions, decisions, enough to dry you crazy when it is so important for one's health and pain level! Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have one that is a latex and foam combo & I love did take about 6 weeks to really outgas (which was a problem since I have severe MCS & live in an apt with no place to air it I had to sleep on it while it was still outgassing)

I have now had it for about 10 months, though, and while I will never find a perfect mattress & I swear that what is ideal for me seems to change from night to night, this is about as good as I can get. Seriously, there are nights when I feel like I could stay in bed forever and be so comfy and other nights where I wish I had a soft topper (I definitely do not find this to be too soft....very much on the firm side.....there are supposed to be different degrees of firmness for the latex ones, though, and I think having the combo of foam with the latex may be part of the reason that mine is firmer).

I got it from Back to Bed. I actually had a different mattress from them that sagged after a year, but was under a 10 yr warranty. So, when I took advantage of that warranty, I upgraded (& my parents paid for the difference for my birthday and Christmas). So, I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was around 1,300.....and it also has a warranty.
  3. yucca133

yucca133 Member

It's encouraging to hear that you like the latex for the most part. I had a feeling that it would be on the firmer side. I think the one from Natural Habitat ($2,099 for a king) would be good with the 2" of the Talalay (softer latex) on top of firmer 6" latex. I guess the outgassing might have been from the manmade foam? That is one of the benefits of the all natural latex - no odor, but they are more expensive. I am hoping that the firmness will help with the awful pain I have in my neck every morning. I appreciate the info.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am pretty sure it was the foam that was causing that issue.....I have read that some people still have a little issue with the latex, but I would think that is only if it is the man made kind & the mattress I have is natural latex

I hope that the one you get works for you.....having a good mattress is sooooo important for us
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I bought a latex matteress about a yr or so ago. It was a nightmare only because the matteress I recieved was not eco-friendly.

However the company I dealt with was wonderful. It took forever to outgas and still smells sometimes to this day. It is very firm and after buying a featherbed(didnt work out) a 4inch foam topper seems to be working. The more inches the firmer the topper.

The best thing was buying a adjustable bed. With all the problems we have need it soft,need it firm this has been the best solution. You can adjust how you sleep. Sometimes slightly sleeping elevated works wonders.

I paid 1,600.00 for bed and matteress. There are alot of companies that offer deals when you buy both together.
  6. GrandmaHugs

GrandmaHugs Member

I do not have a latex mattress. But I do have a Select Comfort Mattress ( sleep number bed as it is often called). You can make it as firm or soft as you want or anywhere in between. And many times I may vary the degree of softness or firmness depending on how I feel that day or how much pain I am in. I have used this type of mattress for over 10 years & have never regretted buying it.

This is an option you might consider. We originally had a waterbed & Select Comfort had a mattress that would fit the waterbed frame. They also have mattresses that will fit your camper bed. There are many options to choose from. These mattresses are guaranteed for 20 or 25 years.

For me, sleeping on any other type of mattress is a nightmare. I might as well not go to bed as will I not sleep well and will get up in extreme pain. Not a way to start the day.

Good luck on your mattress hunt.

:) Gentle Hugs to you.