Mattress suggestins?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaW, Apr 14, 2003.

1. LindaW

LindaW New Member

I am way overdue for a new mattress and need to get a new one. Any guugestions for a mattress that will help will this illness
    Thanks
    Lw
  2. marta

marta New Member

Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. It's pricey but really not more than a very good inner spring mattress. I'm sure they have a website.

Love, love, love it!

Marta
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

gets my vote. I bought one for my daughter 18 months ago and I hope to replace my bed with a Select Comfort when it's time. Guess I'd better start saving now. They are definitely expensive, but worth it, IMO.

Karen
  4. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I was going to get the select comfort. The second time I went back to check it out I didn't like it, but I never did sleep in it. You can get it for a free trial. If you send it back you do have to pay shipping and handling though.

I just got an old fashion waterbed. Oh my gosh...I don't want to lay anywhere else. Not only is it great for my presure points the warmth is awsome. I won't sleep on anything else. At least not until they come out with "The Fibro Bed". That would be a good idea...huh?... even better if it would work.

Tammy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2003]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres my 'Fibro Bed'; Posturepedic extra firm; on top of that a 'feather bed', on top of that; a 'wireless heating mattress pad'! To top it off, I only use a Down Conforter!

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl

6. beckster

beckster New Member

I use a an egg-crate foam pad on top of my regular mattress. It is a little smelly first but it airs out. Depending on the size of your bed, it only costs maybe $20 to $60, also depending on how thick (cushy) you want it.

I haven't tried one personally, but Taylor's Gift advertise
    tempurpedic type mattresses for very reasonable prices, around $99. You can just put it on top of your bed.
  7. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I have a Serta pillow top. trying to break it in but think its breaking me in.
    Lisa
  8. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

After you add all these extra pads and egg crates and etc., how do you find a fitted sheet to put over all of it? Do you put the pads, etc. on top of the sheet or what? I have a pillow top mattress and it's hard enough to get a fitted sheet over it. I surely couldn't get it over any other extra pads. Just wondering.
    Nancy
  9. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have a conventional Spring Air mattress, but a few months ago, we bought a 2-inch memory-foam topper to put on top of the mattress. I really love it. I have a memory foam pillow, too. This is the same type of foam in the Tempur-pedic mattress. Tempur-pedic sells mattress toppers as well as mattresses, and they are much less expensive than the mattresses. If you have a solid mattress to begin with, I think the topper would do the job.

There are a number of web sites that sell Visco-elastic memory foam mattresses, toppers and pillows at prices much less than Tempur-pedic. I bought my topper from Costco online. AARP sells a similar product from its web site. And I found a wonderful web site run by somebody who seems *very* well informed where they sell not only two-inch toppers but also three- and four-inch toppers. They also sell pillows and, I think, full Visco-elastic memory-foam mattresses, as do most online sites that handle this product line.

Do a Google search for "memory foam" for a general list of possible sites to check out, and for "Costco" to find the Costco online site. (A queen-size two-inch memory foam topper from Costco online cost about $168 including delivery. At the good web site I mentioned above, I think a similar product cost $170 plus about $20 in shipping. However, if you order a memory foam pillow or two, getting the total charge over $195, I think the shipping was free--or at least it was for a while.)

If you haven't checked out memory foam, I suggest that you try visiting a sleep store that carries the product and give it a try. It's quite different from other mattresses and toppers.

--Laura R.M.
  10. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

Not a silly question at all. Hasn't anyone ever told you no question is SILLY!!! When I had a reg bed with a egg crate I ordered sheets from domestication. They carry sheets with a 20" pocket. I usually get their flannel. I found the flannel seems to have an even deeper pocket. I'm sure any bedding place would carry them like bed bath and beyond etc.

Tammy
  11. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I forgot to mention that with the 2-inch memory-foam topper, I was able to continue using the same sheets I'd used before, which had, I think, 7-inch pockets. The memory foam just compressed a bit at the edges/corners, allowing the old sheets to work just fine.

--Laura R.M.
  12. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I have a waveless waterbed...ahhhhh..:eek:) Maybe thats why I don't like to get out of bed..it feels too good!!!LOL. Yeah..in the wintertime,heat is on and it feels so good on my back,summertime,heat goes off and the coolness feels good.
  13. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

For those of you with pillow tops - WalMart sells a very nice deep pocket sheet in all your basic colors. Feels great, lasts forever - and very reasonably priced.
  14. donna13210

donna13210 Member

...the memory-foam type. About 2" or so thick.

The good news: It eliminated my bad morning lower backache. My back still bothers me all the time, but in the morning I always had this extra-bad lower back pain. It was literally gone after one night with the topper!

The bad news: It didn't help AT ALL with the other FMS aches, pains and stiffness. It looks so soft on the commercials, with the handprint depression and all, but it is not really soft. I thought I would be swaddled in a cloud, but it's nothing like that. I was very disappointed.

I also wish it was thicker. 2" doesn't seem thick enough. But is thicker better? Don't know.

Next time, I'm getting a waterbed.
    See ya,
    Donna
  15. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have done a lot of research on this subject. There has also been a lot of good sleep research in this area. I have found that of the three, a spring mattress is the worst. I have read that waterbeds can be good for FM because of the heat and fewer pressure points. However, waterbeds are bad for your lower back. Most of the research I have come across clearly shows that an air mattress is the best. They have the fewest pressure points. You can always add a heating pad or wire/wireless heating blanket to the air mattress. Anyways, research has shown that people who sleep on an air mattress suffer from less pain than the other two. Also, people on air mattresses toss and turn less and wake up fewer times during the night. Everyone is different, and maybe you will like one more than another. I bought an air mattress, and I love it. It is probably the best thing I have ever purchased. However, it cost a lot of money. I bought a Select Comfort. I figured it was a good investment considering the whole sleep disorder thing that people with FM suffer. Also, you can adjust the amount of air in the mattress based on what you like, i.e. a hard bed or soft bed. Plus look at this way, you probably spent AT LEAST 1/3 of your life, if not more, in the bed your purchase, it is worth spending extra money for in my opinion. My girlfriend was skeptical about spending a lot on a bed, but she caved in because of my FM. She even loves the bed too!

Kurt

16. srollins

srollins New Member

My bedding situation is explained at the Electric Blanket Post of Melaniethebirdlover. My post is titled"Hi Melanie"
    Love my bed! Good thing I am not alergic to DOWN!

Good night, Shirley
  17. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

My boyfriend finally convinced me to get a new mattress because of all my back and shoulder problems. Thank God!! I bought a pillow top by Sterns and Foster. At first, I sort of felt like I fell for the sales person's pitch because he told me he had convinced his wife to buy the very same mattress and now she doesn't like to get out of bed in the morning. LOL I can so relate to what he was saying. That mattress is the most comfortable place in the whole house. I can't begin to tell you how much I love my mattress. I think a good mattress is important for people with this DD. We deserve all the comfort we can afford and we spend a great deal of time in bed.
  18. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

We have a firm mattress and I was always having a hard time getting to sleep even when I was tired. I finally laid there and tried to figure out WHY I was not going to sleep. It was the darnedest thing..I felt like the princess and the pea. I was feeling EVERYTHING and it would hurt..so I would just get up.

My neighbor knew I was having this problem and bless her heart..she said come over and lay on my bed and see what you think..I did..WOW!! I wanted to curl up .. right then and there!

She has the firm mattress..then the egg crate padding then the down topper..I duplicated what she had. That was about three weeks ago..I have slept like a baby. I even dream, have never dreamt much..but do now. My friend had told me that she turns her down padding over every weekend, I have been doing the same thing and I also turn it head to foot, if you know what I mean. I poofs all back up and I just love it!

Hope this helps...Sherry