Mattress Toppers and hip pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annie1202, Apr 28, 2007.

1. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

Lately the pain in my hips, back, and legs have been really bad. I wake up in the morning so stiff and in sooo much pain it's a wonder I get any sleep at all. I recently read an add about Cuddle Ewe mattress toppers. Has anyone tried them? Do they work? Are they worth the cost?

During the day I have a personal heater directed on my hips, it helps, but I always forget to turn it off when I leave. I call my boss and ask him to check and see if I've turned it off, and if I haven't see if he will turn it off for me. His response: "I always do, sweetie."

Does anyone else have tips on how to deal with the hip pain?
  2. monamea

monamea New Member

Hi annie1202

I have the same hip pain because I can only sleep on my left side. I don't have a cuddle ewe topper but I do have a down one I bought from another place, it helps me alot I still am stiff in the morning but that's what fibro does to us. Have you tried a TENS Unit it's a neat thing and I use it on my back, legs, neck. It sends electric shock waves to the places that hurt. I'm not great in explaining it, any medical place will explain it and most of the time it is covered my insurance with a perscription.

I hope this will help you.
  3. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

Annie,
    I had an air bed from some company that made Christopher Reeve's mattress and it was comfortable but was always needing repairs (pd $1600 for it). So I went back to a conventional pillow top and also bought a topper from Bed, BAth and Beyond for about $120. It is the down-alternative line and is washable-it is about 1 1/2 thick and then I also have an eggshell under it. Not as comfortable as my adjustable air bed, but I am not sleeping on the couch half the time due to a deflated bed. I too have a lot of hip pain and it is bad in the AM-seems to improve after some pain meds and a hot soak in the tub.

Lynn in TN[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]
  4. annie1202

annie1202 New Member

of TENS units, but I'm not real knowledgeable on them. I might go to our med supply place here and see what they can tell me. Thanks for the tip.

On another note... I just want to say thank you to everyone who has shared their "fibro fog" moments. I have always wondered why I would forget so much or do some of the weird things I do. It is comforting to know I'm not the only one. What is not comforting is knowing how many times I've almost burnt the house down, forgotten to feed my kids, or done things that could have turned out to be very dangerous. I'm so glad that God is watching over my every step. Without Him, I'd be a gonner!
  5. mebonlybecky

mebonlybecky New Member

I have had hip pain in my left side mostly for some time now. I had it kicked out of place years back and a hair line crack. (due to ex) :/ It makes my tail bone hurt alllllll the time.
    At nite, I have tried pillows between my legs specially for them, but dont work. I know sleep with a long, not very thick pillow from right above my knees to my feet. I sleep mostly on my left side some times on my right. Strange left hip hurts but dont hurt as bad to lay on it. I have read that when you have the hurting hip up, it tends to pull (sag) and its not in line. I sleep at an angle with my legs. Thank goodness we have a big bed, and my husband sleeps in one spot most of the time, and is understanding that I slant my legs.
    I have a lady i clean for that has pillows from the airspring masstress place, they are heavy feeling, but lord are they soft and comft. she said they work great under your head and forms your neck in the right place it should be. Thinking of going get us some, hubby has neck problems, and it might help to strighten up my spin.
    I will let you know how they work. look for a post in a few days. on pillows.
    also. I leave things on at time too in fog days.
    hubby got me a coffe pot that turns it self off after an hr.
    my heating pad we got a thing that plugs in the wall, then you put what ever in it, and it will turn off on the time you want it. my curling iron, turns off after awhile too..
    lol heck everything i think in the house has a timer now on it. wonder if they make something for my gas stove? lol
    And i think i am going to take stock in sticky notes....
    I write myself notes everywhere! even when i go to take a hot bath. to remind me to go get my son from ball practice. my cell phone i have sat for reminders on things. And my poor dog... I have started writting notes to remember to feed her in the morning.
    so dont feel bad..... we all do it, and I knowwww the Lord watches over us foggy brain people...
    Becky
  6. jennbug

jennbug New Member

I also have hip pain in the mornings so I got a single size memory foam topper. It works very well I don't hurt in the mornings anymore.
    jenn.
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

But no topper can help my bed ... it is not old and is all sunk in in center. I am going to have to get a new bed. I have been testing them out.
  8. Suzan

Suzan New Member

It really makes a difference for me. That..and keeping my knees propped with pillows between my legs when I am on my side..and also I pillow for my top arm to rest on so there isn't much stress on my shoulder. That combination has helped my sleep fairly well.
    For a long while the topper eased my morning stiffness..but now a couple years later...that stiffness is worse than ever..ahhh the joys of FMS.
  9. Suze

Suze New Member

My mattress is a Lemoyne Sleeper Trizone 2000, with extra lumbar support. I appreciate the extra firmness in the center section, but my tender hips needed more cush. I put a one-inch memory foam topper on the bed and covered it with a one-inch latex topper. Perfect! I got both of them from Overstock for $39.99 each.

The best thing I did for my hip pain was to change my desk chair. I just wrote a post about it. It's made a dramatic difference for me.

Suze