Mattresses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisavet, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Elisavet

Elisavet New Member

Hello, Everyone. My name is Elisavet (Greek form of Elizabeth) and I am new. Have had somewhat moderate fibromyalgia for about 8-10 years. I am wondering if anyone has gotten any help in sleeping or mitigation of pain from using any kind of special mattress or bed. I'm looking at several in stores and on the Internet, but they are very expensive, so I'm extremely hesitant to buy anything, but I keep thinking that a better mattress would help. The one I have now is about 20 years old and needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks!

Elisavet
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I bought a 2 inch memory foam topper for my bed from e-bay, (the cheapest place I found it) and it is really comfortable, and great for the pressure points on our bodies. It really cradles your body for a "better" night sleep! Hope that helps!

Razorqueen
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I got mine, 2" topper at Sam's for $119.00 plus tax. Best sleep I have had and I do not wake up stiff as a board.
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I love that name. My middle name is Elizabeth.

I vote for the memory foam too. I have a 2" topper from Linens and Things that I got for $179 a year or so ago. I was recently looking for a twin that I could travel with and found them (2 and 3 inch) at Overstock.com for a good price. At the time they were $79.99 and 129.99 respectively for any size. Of course the larger you need the better the deal.

Last time I looked Sam's had them also for a good price in 2". I rolled one out on the floor and laid down on it. My kid thought I was nuts, but oh well!!! LOL

I know I would be much worse off without it and that is a lot cheaper than a new mattress.

Sonya
  5. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I bought a 1-1/2 inch Memory foam topper from Walmart for a double for around $58, and it helps tremendously with the hip and back pain.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have had a terrible time with our just 5 year old Beauty Rest mattress set for over a year. Just wake up feeling horrible. So, I bought a 2" memory foam topper.

Did NOTHING! Now, we are looking at some of the speciality beds online. In fact, today I contacted a place that has the SAT bed...air but no motor, etc...90 trial period, free shipping, 20 yr. warrenty...not one that goes down with the age. So, waiting to talk to my husband when he gets home.

It is costly, but not as costly as I expected, and I have to be able to sleep...when I can sleep, that is. These beds are medically deductable on taxes (probably helps get the percentage for those of us with insurance), used in many hospitals, used personally by Devon or something like that...she has and runs a FM place and Christopher Reeves before he died. Sound like an promo person, don't I? (-:

That is what I have learned today, so hope this helps you.I also have arthritis in my back so that may be why the topper doesn't work. Don't know.

Best of luck with your decision.
    Sue
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I don't have one, but I have read about "Cuddle Ewe" toppers/underquilts. I have looked at their website. YOu can find it doing a search on "Cuddle Ewe".

They look somewhat expensive. I did see one at a discount store (Ross) for $60. I wasn't familiar with it and wanted to look it up on the internet. I went back to get it and you guessed it....it was gone.

It seems people on this board like the memory foam toppers and some like the cuddle ewes.

I yearn for the perfect mattress and the perfect nights sleep! Wonder if they exist....
  8. Tiels

Tiels New Member

I/we have waterbeds. I know! everyone is different, and their needs and comfort levels are all different.

All I know is the warmth of the waterbed is wonderful and I rarely have extreme AM pain. Gets worse quickly after I get up and start the day.

You can adjust the thermostat to suit your own comfort.

Of course relying on electric can be a pain, it you have an ice storm and are w/o power for 9 days :(

Once again, welcome to the board, and I hope you can get a good nightsrest comfortably very soon!
  9. paulared

paulared New Member

air mattress, select comfort, helps me.

Regular mattress hurt.

Waterbed was better.

Found air mattress to be best so far.

paulared
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have a Tempurpedic mattress which is excellent. I believe they give you a 90 day in home trial.

11. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I'm like the Princess and the Pea, I need softness.
    I bought mine from hsn, and my DH has one on the couch also.
    Friends, want to know why the couch is so comfortable?
    It's because I doubled one of the Feathermattress over, and put a cover over that, then a Pretty Sheet.
    Makes it so much more comfortable to sit and watch TV now.

I'm wanting a Northen Lights one, next but you get that from qvc, but I'll wait till Fall for that one.
  12. Elisavet

Elisavet New Member

Thanks so much to you all for the info on your experiences with different mattress toppers and mattresses. It was really helpful. I'm leaning towards an air mattress right now. Tried out the Temurpedic in a store, but it seemed too hard for my aches and pains.

Elisavet
  13. keepmoving

keepmoving New Member

I really like my Select Comfort. I change the setting depedning on how I feel and the aches and pains. Before this mattress I could not turn over by myself and could hardly walk when I got up in the mornings.
  14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

90 trial, no shipping, no taxes...be here in 2 1/2 weeks which is good timing for us.

I certainly hope that it will help. Hope you are finding something to help you. Not only does my lower back hert, but lying on my back hurts my shoulders and upper back.

We'll see. It would be nice to sleep better.

SUe
  15. WeBee7

WeBee7 New Member

I love my new waterbed....its just like a mattress with water tubes inside....soft and warm, but doesn't throw me around when someone sits or lays next to me....I don't feel the movement at all....it sinks down my rear and lifts up my feet...heaven!!!!!! Good luck with your search....
    Karyn
  16. ladybug123

ladybug123 New Member

One thing that has helped me was to buy an electric bed so that I could sleep on my back because my hips hurt too much to lie on my side and I can't sleep lying flat on my back. It is not a perfect solution as I still wake up alot but it does give me one comfortable position which I can fall asleep in whereas before there was no way that I could lay down and be comfortable at all.