Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aracari, Feb 23, 2007.

1. aracari

aracari New Member

Hi All,
    Am curious if anyone has had any sleep quality improvement by switching to a non-traditional mattress (SleepNumber, Memory Foam, or whatever they call those things...)?

I have a featherbed (allergy-encased, of course) which makes my innerspring mattress more comfortable. But I still often find when I wake up (either in the morning or during the night) that my arms or legs are completely asleep/numb. I guess I sleep so hard sometimes that I don't move around enough to keep the blood flowing...

Any thoughts?
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Aracari,

A few weeks after I got a WONDERFUL new mattress, I started experiencing numbness in my left arm and hand--mostly at night and when I woke up in the morning. I thought it must be due to the new mattress, but it turned out that the timing was coincidental, and the mattress had nothing to do with it.

After seeing a neurologist, my diagnosis was carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm not saying you have CTS, but a lot of numbness that you are describing I think is out of the norm--if it persists, if I were you I would see a neurologist to find out what's causing it.

Incidentally, I switched to an all latex mattress, and I do find I like the feel of it better. I think it's so individualized though. I tested the memory foam mattress at the store and hated it--but you'll find others here who swear by it--which shows you how different we all are!

Best of luck; I hope you get some answers and a good nite's sleep soon.

Warmly, Erika
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm checking out the Spring Air mattresses. They sound very comfortable. I've found some very good prices on them online.

There was a recent thread on the CFS/FM board on this subject you may want to check out. Just type in "mattress" in the search box on the top left and scroll down to "title and content" in the "by" box.

I'm considering a firm set and then adding a memory foam topper. The consensus here and elsewhere seems to be that the pillowtops are a waste of money because that part of the mattress disintegrates first.

I hope you find something that will help you sleep comfortably. I've been waking up with a sore back and hips. Yuck!

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We have a fairly firm Serta pillow top (I agree that there isn't much "pillow" in the top).

In December (might have been November, who remembers this stuff!!) we bought a Memory Foam topper from With the 4 inch topper, cover and two pillows we paid less than $250.

I started sleeping better within just a couple nights. I have much less morning stiffness and sometimes sleep up to three hours at a time (before it was 30 to 60 minutes tops).

Recommend you let it air out well before you use it, chemical smell was very strong for the first couple nights, but DH just couldn't wait to put it on the bed!!

I used the pillow for about a month and started getting worse stiff neck so went back to the old feather one that I can roll up under my neck. I think the pillows that came with it just aren't big enough to keep my neck supported. I am going to check with my daughter and see what kind of pillow she uses because she loves it and so does SIL.

Good luck and happy dreams!

5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have 3 on my bed, and I am pretty comfortable, with that Number, lol.
    I spend a lot of time, in bed, even tho I don't sleep much, at least I am comfortable.

You do need to fluff them, but I have no problem taking a Rollingpin, and beating them, in between changing the bedding and flipping them over, which, they are very easy to do.

My Sis has the Pillow Topper kind, and loves it, in the past she had one of the Theaputic kind, but didn't like it much.

I did when I stayed at a Hotel, one time, and they had one, I checked out the mattress tab, before I checked out, so I could buy one myself.
    They are more costly, than my 3 FB's, and I find that the FB works just as well for me.

I have a Sister in Or. who bought herself a Hospital bed, and put a really Padded, mattress cover on it, she hadn't been able to lay down in a bed for years.
    She had to sleep in a Lounger, so she is tickled, to finally beable to sleep better, now that she can Recline.

Hope you find one that is comfortable for you.
    I know what a difference it has made with my Trigger points and the Pain they cause me to have a FB
    Still have the CMP, but I am more comfortable these day's.
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

We have a firm, spinal guard mattress. We recently put a memory foam topper on it, and WOW!
    We love it!