May 1 appt with Dr. Gruenn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, May 3, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi all - I saw Dr. Gruenn on Tuesday, May 1, and both he and I were on the same page. We both did not think the injections were the right thing (at least at this time) and both were thinking mercury detox. I did not have any benefit from the first injection and instead had a mix of symptoms, which seemed to be a combination of herxing and detoxing and then a strep infection, but nothing got better at all (unlike Mikie, who had some alleviation of some of her symptoms). Actually, it was not all that different from a typical month, although it was a bit rougher.

My big concern about a heavy metal detox was the 3 crowns I have, which I thought had to be replaced to make sure there was no mercury underneath (I already had all mercury fillings removed some 12-15 years ago, cannot remember exactly when). But Dr. Gruenn said it was not necessary to have the crown replaced, at least at this time, which was a huge relief as they are quite pricey.

I did my usual crash after the visit, and today am getting over being sick after the crash, and will start taking dmsa 25 mg. 3 x day on Monday, for 3 days, and then 4 days off. I don't think it can be worse than all the detoxing I've done already, detoxing on the methylation protocol off and on for 3-1/2 years, detoxing every time I turn around it seems.

Recently I had an interesting experience with taurine - I took it some 10 days ago I think for sleep and it did help wtih sleep, but I think it also made me detox - was groggy and drugged most of the next day and then read that taurine is very important for, you guessed it, detoxing! Well, I took it again one more night, and then stopped as I had to get some energy back, but my crashes are lighter now, I get over them quicker, which just reinforces my suspicion that some toxins may be at the root of my crashing - so I'm going to restart the taurine in the next day or 2, and will do the dmsa on Monday, and we'll see.

So that's the scoop - it's a crap shoot at this point - but my crashes did seem to get easier after the taurine ..... but who knows, I may end up back trying the peptide injections again sometime in the future.

For what it's worth- the injection I was given was specific for CFS virus, not the autoimmune one Mikie receives. I don't have the autoimmune symptoms she had, like sjogren's, or arthritis. Just the d**m crashing!

So, we'll see and will keep you posted on my new venture!

2. deepak

deepak Member

Sorry the injection did not work just yet :(.

Hope the taurine helps you. What is dmsa ?

With love.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry the shot didn't help. I hope and pray you and your doc can find an answer.

Just to clarify--the HS injection I receive isn't just for autoimmune condiditons. It's a broad-spectrum serum for immune and autoimmune conditions. If one only took a serum narrowly targeted to autoimmune illnesses, and one doesn't have an autoimmune illness (autoimmune illnesses are extremely difficult to accurately diagnose) the results would likely be nill. Sjogren's takes, on average 6 1/2 yrs. to accurately diagnose. I never had a pos. ANA, even after more than two yrs. of SS symptoms. Of course, the ANA isn't reliable and it can take yrs. to get a pos. result even when one has an autoimmune.

I would suggest that anyone with symptoms of either, or both, immune or autoimmune conditions to try the HS to see whether there is an improvement. After my first shot, it became apparent that I did have SS as my eyes watered that first night and I drooled like a dog over a pork chop. The arthritis left my hands and wrists immediately too. I seldom have pain anymore. The only thing which lingers is the fatigue and it comes and goes.

Mary, please keep us updated about your progress. Seems you have a good doc and I pray he can help you.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

dmsa is a chelating agent - it is supposed to help pull heavy metals out of the body, and I guess can also pull minerals we need out, so Gruenn said I'm to take a mineral supplement on the days not taking the dmsa. I already take a good mineral supplement.

I took another taurine last night, and sure enough, feel woozy and stomach a bit upset this morning again, though not as bad as teh first time I took it. But it is definitely doing something! (I hope good :0)

You might consider looking into taurine. You said you started having symptom after you took a drug for parasites. Well, if the drug is related to your symptoms, then taurine may help with getting it out of your system. It is supposed to be good for chemical detox and people with multiple chemical sensitivity. You can google "taurine detox" for more info.

Hope you're doing well with the ldn!

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for the claritification about your injection - I misunderstood. The HS injection does sound like a very good starting point, and maybe it would have been better if I had been given it, instead of one that was supposed to be narrowly targeted for a virus associated wtih CFS. I don't even know how they came up with a virus specific for CFS injection, when no one even knows if a virus is involved.

If I decide to go back to the injections, I will definitely request the one you had.

At this point I am going to work on detoxing more with the dmsa. Also the taurine is really doing something to me. I took one last night and sure enough today my stomach is off, I'm a bit woozy etc., more detoxing I believe. I think it's supposed to be especially good for chemical detox - I had a job when I was 19 where I had heavy exposure to acetone - we washed our hands in it (were working with resin and other stuff), breathed it all day, was a bit high from the fumes when I got off work, which I thought was cool, at age 19 ... some 9 years ago I did a liver detox cleanse, got rather sick on it, but my liver was much better afterwards - muscle testing ahd indicated the presence of chemical solvents, no surprise. So I am speculating that the taurine may be getting more of this stuff out of my system.

But I am going to try the dmsa next week too, probably will not do both taurine and dmsa at the same time, though!

Dr. Gruenn is a good doc, I wish he was easier to get to! But at the same I am very fortunate he is close enough for me to see.

I will keep you all posted -

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your support! It does seem to be a matter of trial and error, too often error unforunately :( - but it does feel good to be moving in some sort of direction. And if this does not pan out, I will probably go back and request the HS injection that Mikie got. I now wish I had gotten that one.

But I have had so many problems with detoxing over the years that this feels like the right direction, but time will tell.

I hope you get to try the injections at some point! and very grateful we have Mikie to pave the way for us -

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have used colloidal silver for infections. It helped me get rid of a strep infection that kept returning. It is good stuff but pricey. I've read you have to be very careful when making your own so never tried that. But it never did anything for crashing.

If I had an infection like lyme, I would definitely look into it.

We'll just see how things go with the dmsa and taurine -

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2012]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Again, I'm praying that you find some treatment which helps you. Exposure to toxins is one of the most difficult things with which to deal. I hope the chelation works. Good luck and keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you want this treatment, I hope you can find someone closer to you. My guess is that in a few years, docs all over will be doing this. It's the most amazing thing. Also, drug companies are running studies after having done research trying to isolate the correct peptide sequences. It's only a matter of time.

Love, Mikie
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

We used acetone in the factory because we were working with resin and some sort of catalyst to make fake Tiffany lamps. We would pour the resin mixed wtih catalyst into molds (after adding color), and then it would harden into plastic panels for the lamps. The only way to get that plastic stuff off our hands was to use acetone. I am sure that place would definitely be illegal today! I thnk it finally burned down - it was a disaster waiting to happen. I remember seeing buckets of resin with catalyst added to them, and if you added too much catalyst, the resin would start to turn blue and get hot, and could eventually cause a fire. Add to that all the acetone fumes .......

That is interesting that we react so differently to taurine. I took one capsule the night before last, and I can still feel it - the detoxing it caused, wooziness, fatigue, etc., but much milder. so I really do seem to have a serious detoxing problem. Actually it's probably a good sign that you have such a mild reaction to it - hopefully it's an indication of low toxicity problems.

I've never tried a roasted grain beverage (I won't drink decaf), so I might give it a try sometime. I usually only have coffee first thing in teh morning and that's it.

Thanks for all your encouragement! I hope the best for you too in this long convoluted journey! :)

Best wishes,

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

This is the one thing I have not tried, a detox specific for mercury, but am hoping it would help with other toxins too. I will keep you all posted!

Best wishes,

12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Best wishes with your new detox program, Mary! I'll be thinking of you.

By the way, Teecchino is an excellent roasted grain beverage. I love it. And I don't even like coffee that much.

13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just took my first capsule of dmsa this morning - 25 mg. I'm to take it 3 times a day for 3 days and then 4 off. He said the usual dose is 100 mg. but I react so easily ... anyways, am glad am starting small, no reaction yet.

Thanks for the heads up on Teecchino too!