May 21st Bible Study

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, May 20, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    "Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Okay, the passage I have selected for this week's study is
    one that is probably familiar to a lot of you. Proverbs 3:5-7 Here is the text taken from the TNIV

Proverbs 3:5-7
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight. [a]

Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.

Discussion Questions

1. Please take a moment to reflect and examine your heart before God. Then honestly answer this question "Do I really trust God with all my heart or am I merely giving Him lip service by telling Him what He wants to hear?"

2. Why do you think it is so easy for all of us to "rely on our own understanding?" and so difficult for us to seek and rely on God's wisdom?

3. What is the difference between a person who is wise in his/her own eyes and a person who is wise in God's eyes?

4. What does the phrase "Fear God and shun evil" mean to you? Where and how can we learn to fear God and shun evil?

Well...there you go. May God speak to all of you through His Word!

Blessings,
    Lms526

2. caffey

caffey New Member

1. It is easier to completely trust God with some things and harder with others. Can't give Him lip service as He knows all things and He isn't fooled.
    2. Because we like to be control and feel we can do it on own. We are prideful and think we don't need any help. We don't rely on His wisdom because we don't really trust that He knows what He is doing and His ways are best.
    3. People who are wise in God's eyes are humble, peaceful people. They don't act like they know it all.
    4. If we fear God we will naturally stay away from evil. Fear God almost sounds like being afraid. I prefer reverence God. When we begin to understand that God is a holy God and he expects us to be the same and if I say that I love God I don't want to do anything that will hurt him so that means that I will stay away from deliberating sinning as much as possible.

Good challenging study.
    Cath
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

just moving this back to the top
  4. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

My Friends,
    The verses chosen are some of the richest veins of golden inspiration found in God's Holy Writ – some of my very favorite! I have been asked to translate the verses and offer a simple exegesis (exposition) of them. It is my prayer that the mining out of this heavenly ore will result in each of us being the richer for it.

Proverbs 3:5-7
    5"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding.
    6” In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
    7 “Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil."

Verse 5 –

"Trust" - It is an imperative, i.e. (that is to say), it is a command to obey. ‘full confidence.’

"in" - 'into', i.e., Trusting in the Lord is not a peripheral, superficial matter, but an intimate, personal intercourse between a believer and his/her Holy God.

"[the] LORD" - "Yahweh", i.e., the sacred tetragrammaton YHWH, the covenantal personal Name of God. Literally: “He Who causes all things to be.” It is impossible to fully draw out the meaning of the Name in a simple phrase. The total structure of the Name means
    “I was that I was,” “I am that I am,” “I will be that I will be.” The blessed expression of this is declared in

NAS Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever.”

This is not some pagan, territorial god worshipped by a local tribal people; rather, the One Who commands us to trust Him is the one true Sovereign God of all creation!

“[with] all” – ‘everything, total, all together.’ We must trust with the ‘whole’ of us, not just a bit of us. In this sense, ‘trust’ is analogous with ‘love’ found in the Shema:

Deuteronomy 6:4-5 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.”

“[your] heart” – i.e., (1) inner self, seat of feelings and impulses, mind, character
    (2) disposition, inclination
    (3) loyalty, concern

“[And do not] lean on” – i.e., (1) ‘lift up’ or ‘hold up’
    (2) ‘be presumptuous’
    (3) ‘put on airs’

“[your own] understanding” – i.e., ‘wisdom.’ This bespeaks of our finite, limited, marginal and incomplete human wisdom and understanding.

Verse 6 –

“[In] all” – i.e., ‘everything, total, all together’

“[your] ways” – i.e., (1) ‘way’ or ‘path’
    (2) ‘stretch of road’
    (3) ‘journey’ or ‘undertaking’
    (4) ‘manner’ or ‘custom’ or ‘conduct’

“acknowledge [Him]” – i.e., (1) ‘observe’ or ‘find out’ or ‘recognize’ or ‘perceive’
    (2) ‘[get] to know’
    (3) ‘care about’ or ‘be concerned about’
    (4) ‘select’ or ‘choose’

“[And He will] make [your paths] straight” – i.e., ‘straight’ or ‘level’ or ‘upright’ or ‘right’

“[your] paths” – i.e., (1) ‘(stretch) of ground’
    (2) ‘manner’
    (3) ‘behavior’

Verse 7 –

“Do not” – i.e., emphatic negative ‘certainly not’

“[be] wise” – i.e., (1) ‘skilled’ or ‘fit’
    (2) ‘able’ or ‘experienced’

“[in your own] eyes” – i.e., (1) ‘eye’
    (2) ‘look’ or ‘appearance’
    (3) ‘fountain’ or ‘spring’

“Fear” – i.e., (1) ‘fear’
    (2) ‘be in awe of’’ or ‘shudder at’ (The object: God)
    (3) ‘be afraid of’’
    (4) ‘reverenced’ or ‘held in honor’

“[the] LORD” – i.e., His blessed personal Name (see notes verse 5)

“[and] turn away from” – i.e., (1) ‘turn aside’ or ‘off’’
    (2) ‘leave’ or ‘go away’
    (3) ‘desert’
    (4) ‘leave off’ or ‘desist’
    (5) ‘keep far from’ or ‘desist’
    (6) ‘stop’ or ‘cease’

“evil.” – i.e., (1) ‘evil’ or ‘bad’ or ‘inferior’
    (2) ‘disagreeable’ or ‘unwholesome’
    (3) ‘bad’ or ‘of no value’
    (4) ‘bad-tempered’ or ‘morally contemptible’
    (5) ‘disagreeable’ or ‘displeasing’ or ‘undesirable’
    (6) ‘vicious’ or ‘harmful’

Some expositional thoughts:

1. He is Truth itself (John 14:6), we are to take Him at His Word!

2. We are to have “full confidence” [Trust] in Him, it cannot be partial. Therefore, we dare not use our human faith. We must exercise the faith given to us in the gift of salvation (Ephesians 2:8) – both grace and faith originate in the gift of salvation. Salvific faith (based on grace) works, human faith (based on feelings) doesn’t!

3. A mustard seed of this God-given faith can move mountains (Matthew 17:20) of fear and of doubt! And when we find ourselves overwhelmed by physical pain, mental anguish and spiritual turmoil, it does not de-value this heavenly faith of ours; rather, it simply confirms the need to exercise it. In those moments, we must follow God’s Word and cry out the very words we find in it, "I do believe; help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24).

4. What little human understanding I have in me is, just that – in me! What foolishness do I display, when in my humanity, I try to lean on my own understanding – outside of me! There is none there!
    Proverbs 19:3 “The foolishness of man subverts his way, And his heart rages against the LORD.”

5. We must develop the spiritual habit of going to and trusting in God – in the first place! Before self-will, self-pleasing, self-wisdom, self-understanding, self-expediency or human friendships – we must flee to Christ!
    Matthew 6:33-34 33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you. [This we must do!] 34 "Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” [This we all know!]

6. Where Christ is honored, sin is hated!
    (Romans 7: 18-24.)

7. Malachi 4:2 "But for you who fear My name the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings; and you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall.”

8. Nehemiah 8:10 “Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."

Soli Deo Gloria!

Poimae[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2007]
  5. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Misty,

I believe I mentioned to you before that when I am either preaching, teaching or interceding before the Throne of Mercy, I have little to no pain. It took me from 12 midnight to 5am to translate and exegete the passage. During that time I was almost 'pain free!' Praise be to God on high, His wonders to perform.

But the moment I finished the task, I was slammed with pain - especially a migraine! I have, yet, to be able to sleep. Being used of God to feed His people overwhom I intercede is that for which my Savior made me. Do with the exposition what you may, it is for God's people.

Prayers of the saints are what I sorely need at this point.

Poimae
  6. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

bumping it back up to the top.
  7. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

My dear Friend,

I am so sorry. We husbands, at times, can be thoughtless brutes. How many times have I wounded the spirit of my loving wife - and without much effort on my part! The pathetic truth? In the times I have wounded my sweet Sunshine, so many times - I am not even aware of it. How about that for a sensitive spirit?!
    If your husband "knew" the horrors of FMS, in a personal way, then he would never have made such a remark. FMS (and its related diseases) is something you would not wish on your worst enemy. Because of your love for your husband, you would not want him (or your two sons) to ever experience it. And yet - sometimes...

The warning against self-confidence in verse 7 is closely connected to verse 6. The "wise in his own eyes" is he, that "leans to his own understanding." Regarding this matter, God declares His mind:

NAS Isaiah 5:21 "Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And clever in their own sight!"

It is your husband who is actually doing that which the Scripture is warning against. Such wisdom is folly and self-delusion. We are to put away such imperfect, human wisdom and let our wisdom be to "fear the Lord, and depart from evil."

This is why I made the statement, "Where Christ is honored, sin is hated." There is such a striking connection between "the fear of God" and the hatred for sin. As long as we live in this House of Clay, sin cleaves to the child of God; but his heart "turns away from it." Often (certainly not always) is it the cause of sickness of the body - always of the soul!

He who "turns away from evil" by the exercise of self-denial and godly discipline will realize "health to your flesh (lit. 'navel') and drink (or refreshment) to your bones." - verse 8.

Willow, I hope this brings clarity to the passage in question. One last word regarding your husband. We ALL get tired - don't we. After 29 years of marriage, he has proven his love for you and you to him. It sounds like a "date" is in order - just the two of you. What do you say?

In the Master's love for the both of you,

Poimae
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Okay everybody,
    this is a wrap for this study. I'm not sure when I will get around to posting a new study. It could be as late as Tuesday. We'll see. Anyway, have a great week everybody.

Lms526