May 28th Bible Study

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, May 27, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hello everyone!

Please join me in a brief word of prayer.

"Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Okay. The passage I have selected for study this week is
    Luke 17:11-17.

Here is the text from the NIV

Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy[a]met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"
    When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.

One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice.He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.

Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?

Discussion Questions

1. Why do you think only one of the ten lepers came back to offer his thanks to Jesus and praise to God?

2. How do you think it made Jesus feel to know that He had healed ten men but nine of them made no attempt to show appreciate or gratitude?

3. How do you think it makes God feel when WE don't thank Him for the things He does for us?

4. What do you think caused the man who DID come back to give thanks and praise?

5. How we can develop a more thankful and grateful heart towards God and other people?

Blessings!

Lms526

2. 143alan

143alan New Member

Thanks Lms for another great Bible Study and I pray for all those who are learning from your studies whether they posts responses or not.
    1. I'm not sure why only one of the ten lepers came back to offer thanks to Jesus. Maybe the one was so overwhelmed with gratitude that he felt compeled to return to thank him.
    2. Well Jesus made the comment that were not all 10 cleansed and yet only the "foreigner" returned. It sounds like he was upset that the other 9 had not returned.
    3. I know God is disappointed in us when we take what he provides for granted and we don't give him the praise and glory he deserves.
    4. He may have been overwhelmed with gratitude.
    5. I believe that developing a habit of saying thank you for the most simple things in our lives and in everything builds in us a grateful heart. It's like as a child when we're taught to say Yes Maam, No Sir and such until even as adults we understand it to be respectful and we still use it even when we don't have to for some reason. When saying thank you becomes such a habit that you feel it in your spirit to the point where you would not imagine not saying it or not feeling gratitude.

OK, here's another thought to the study that is jumping off the page at me. The answers listed above are what I guess to be the suitable answers and probably the right ones as far as we know and would think from what we've read from the word of God.

HOWEVER, there's something nagging at me about this. In Verse 14, Jesus said to them, "Go show yourselves to the priests." What if the other 9 were being obedient and even though they saw that they were cleansed as they went on their way, they didn't want to disobey Jesus by turning around and returning to thank him. He did tell them to go show themselves to the priests as it was a custom of the time to do. Maybe the one who did return was not afraid of the wrath of Jesus because his intent while yet disobeying was good because Jesus would know it was with a heart of gratitude. Just a thought. It is so easy for us to only look at one side of a coin.

Thanks Again
    Nancy
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

bumping this back up to the top
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

Trying to keep this on the top for all the people who were so pleased when the Bible Study started. We don't want them to miss their chance to participate.
  5. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

just bumping it back up to the top.
  6. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi Willow77!

Can you access the Henry's Commentary online? I sit here with my Bible beside the computer and keep forgetting there are so many wonderful online tools and resources. I also get Crosswalk daily devotionals and they have some great resource links and I keep forgetting about them also. Just brain dead some times I think.....LOL...LOL!!!

I liked your input especially about the others only getting the outward healing but the samaritan receiving both inward and outward healing.

Thanks so much for your discussion.
    Take Care
    Nancy
  7. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi everyone,
    This is a wrap up for this week's study. I'm really struggling right now. So I don't know when I will get around to posting this week's study. I will try to come up with something either today or tomorrow.

Take care,
    Lms526