May 6, Bible Study

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, May 6, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hello everyone!
    Please join me for a brief word of prayer "Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

I did this week's study earlier today. So I decided to post it early. I hope it is blessing to you all.

The passage I have selected for this week is
    Colossians 3:12-14
    Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

1. Verse 12 tells us that we have been chosen by God and that we are holy and dearly loved loved by Him. Do you ever wonder why God chose you? Do you believe and know with certainty that you are dearly loved by God? If not, why not? What are some of the ways that God has shown you His love in a personal way?

2. Verse 12 also tells us to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. What do you think Paul means by that? How is this accomplished? How does this tie in with the fruit of the Spirit mention in Galations 5?

3. Why do you think it is so difficult to forgive those who hurt us? If someone came to you and told you they were really struggling to forgive, what advice would you give them?

4. Has there ever been a time in your life when you have truly forgiven someone from your heart? How did it make you feel? Do you ever find it easy to forgive?

5. Forgiveness is a recurring theme in Scripture. Why do you think that is? What impact does it have in our lives if we are unwilling to forgive?

6. Verse 14 tells us that all these qualities are bound together by love. What do you think Paul means by that?

Well...I look foward to reading everyone's responses. Have a great week everyone!

Lms526
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

1. There are things that God wants to accomplish on earth. He uses us to do this. Each one of us was created to fulfill a specific purpose on earth. I absolutely know that I am loved by God. I feel such peace and I feel safe and secure. He does things all the time to surprise me and bless me. He has told me He loves me and is proud of me.
    2. These are qualities that God wants us to develop and how we are to treat each other. It ties in with the fruit of the Spirit in Gal.5. To me it is like wearing clothing. Compassion, kindness etc are like a blouse and the fruit of the Spirit is the vest attached to the blouse. Both are visible and are necessary. You really can't separate one from the other.
    3.When we are hurt it affects us on so many levels. It hits us in our insecurities and areas of trust etc. Or sometimes we just want to prove that we were right and they were wrong. For someone struggling with forgiveness. I say to them it is a process. It doesn't happen overnight. You might have to say 100 ( ok maybe I am exaggerating) times before they are forgiven. It takes a while for the pain to go especially if it is a trust that was broken. I tell them that they have to ask God to take the pain away in that situation. Also I tell people to pray positive things for the other person. At first you may not mean it but the more you do it it will become sincere. I don't know of anyone who has instantly forgiven someone. Jesus said to bless people. So again it takes time but it will come. Forgiveness starts with a decision ( in the head) and then it works our way into our heart. Jesus has forgiven me much so I am to follow in His steps. Forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean reconciliation. It is ok and important to acknowledge the emotions that we feel at the time whether it is anger, frustration etc. It is also important to find someone you trust to talk about it. But don't stay camped there and keep re hashing it over and over.
    4.Yes there have been many times. When I have worked through the process I feel at peace. However I feel a saddness when there isn't reconciliation in the incident. It depends on the situation. Some it is really easy other it is a struggle.
    5.Because God is a forgiving God and has forgiven us so much. If we don't forgive the only person we are hurting is us. It opens the door for bitterness, resentment, anger, hatred etc. and we can not totally love God and do what He wants us to do. He are walking in disobedience to Him as He has told us to forgive.
    6. Love is what motivates us in our Christian lives. When we love we showing to others who God is. He said He is love. Tried to be brief so I hope I have made sense.
    Good study.
    Cath
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Just bumping this up so it's closer to the top.

Lms526
  4. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Wow! I loved what you wrote in response to this study. I especially liked what you had to say about forgiveness. I think that is something we all struggle. Honestly, I don't think it was an exaggeration at all to say sometimes it will take a 100 times before you feel like you have truly forgiven. I've found that to be true in my own life. I also think you are right on regarding the consequences of unforgiveness. I have experienced major consequences in my own life as a result of unforgiveness. I also agree that forgiveness is never instaneous and very seldom easy. But the Bible is crystal clear. It is something we are expected to do. But I think you are right. Forgiveness is an act of the will first. But it can't stay there.

By the way, I also read your profile. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I wish there was some way I could get your e-mail address. But anyway, thanks for contributing to the study. God Bless!

Lms526
  5. caffey

caffey New Member

Do you want to get together for a quick chat and an exchange? If you want to. Let me know what time zone you are in. I am eastern and what day. Please check getridof post there is something of interest for you.
    Cath
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2007]
  6. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I just wanted to say that I am very proud of you. I have watched you grow over the last months and it is a blessing to see how God is working through you. I am glad that you have taken over the Bible Study. I was proud of Nancy for starting it and she did a great job and you are carrying the torch for us now. I know this was a stretch for you and you have risen to the occasion. I will not be able to participate until school is out. I just have way too much going on. I have my own Bible study and prayer time every morning before going to school.

Hopefully when school is out I can join in. Keep up the good work.

Love,
    Nancy
  7. caffey

caffey New Member

very good point. Just because we have forgiven someone doesn't mean that we have to go back into that same situation. So many people get caught in that trap. Sounds like you and I were told that if we had forgiven we would go back into that situation. What a load of garbage!! Again thanks for the reminder.
    Cath
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Sweetpotatoe-Thank you so much for sharing. I was really blessed by what you wrote. Forgiveness is definitely not an easy thing. But you're right. If we refuse to forgive bitterness and hatred will consume you. I've been there. I just pray that you will continue to seek God and to know Him better. I'm glad to hear that you have been able to forgive easily. I wish I could say the same. But I can't, I find it incredibly hard to forgive. There is one situation where it took me years to forgive. But I FINALLY feel like I have.

Willow-Thank you so much for sharing. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. You are such an encouragement to me. I'm glad you are a part of this board.

Caffey-I'm in the central time zone. Sure, I would be willing me to meet you for a quick chat sometime. During the day would probably work best for me. But if it's quick, I could probably do it at night too. Let me know what day would work best for you.
  9. ixoye

ixoye New Member

I find this very interesting. I have a lot of great life changing information to share with everyone. Can anyone start a Bible Study?

ixoye
  10. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Yes, as far as I know, anyone can start a Bible study. I also noticed that one of your posts on getridof's thread has been deleted. Just thought you might want to know.

Lms526
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2007]
  11. ixoye

ixoye New Member

Which post are you referring to? I just checked and everything I posted is still there? Do you know something that I don't or maybe you have mistaken me for someone else?

Please explain.

ixoye
  12. caffey

caffey New Member

How about 10:00am your time. That would be 11:00am my time? Oh yeah forgot what day. DUH. How about Thurs. In the arthritis room. We don't need a long time.
    Cath
  13. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

10:00 a.m. my time on Thursday in the Arthritis room. Got it. See you then!

Lms526
  14. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

It's possible I'm just losing it, but I'm pretty sure that one of your posts on getridof's thread title "Nothing is changing...." is missing. I know as of last night, there were 19 posts on that thread. When I checked in this morning, there were only 18. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I just thought you should know. If you do decide to post your own Bible study, please let me know, and I will add my two cents worth.

Take care,
    Lms526
  15. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Just wanted to bump this up to the top again. Just in case there was someone who wanted to respond but didn't get a chance.

Lms526
  16. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

I was going to wrap this up yesterday, but I forgot. Anyway, I will be posting a new study either Sunday or Monday. Thanks to everyone who posted!

Lms526