May help some, imagine S.S. called me and...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, May 17, 2010.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I knew if one divorced you could draw S.S. off your ex spouse if you were not remarried. WHAT I DID NOT KNOW, is that if you remarry and then divorce again you can still go back and draw off the ex spouse who made the most money.

Imagine my surprise that Socia lSecurity phoned me. I had not contacted them. They phoned to tell me that once my current divorce situation is resolved to phone them back and apply to draw off my first husband who made a lot more.

LEFTYGG Member

Im so glad for you. when my dad died his first wife drew his ss whom he hadnt been married to in 25 yrs. good things do happen. love gail
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

You do have to be married for 10 yrs though, dont you? Im sorry things didnt work out for your marriage but Im glad you can get the larger SS. More money is always helpful!
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It's o.k. about marriage, I should have seen the immediate red flags before I got so involved. First insisting I sell my new truck as soon as we got married, then wanting to give me even $10. monthly allowance and immediately riding my case to apply for my SSD.

Just wanted someone to subsidize his income on SSD.

It hurts but I will learn from this experience. I doubt at my age and in my health that I stand a chance in finding a good Christian man but I sure hate the idea of spending my life alone.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

that is good news that you can draw off your 1st husband's SS base... how wonderful that SS contacted you instead of you finding out 6 or more onths from now. I'm sure that's helping with the stress levels a bit. I am so happy for you.

We've been married 32 years, but I honestly don't know if I'd remarry again if anything happened to us. At least i can't imagine it, but I guess one never knows. I do know people who have found someone special later in life... in their 70s+ even...

all the best,

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

When my divorce is finalized hopefully in Sept.

Yes, they told me I could draw off my other husband that I was married to much longer. I thought once you remarried that you could not go back on a previous husband, but they say I can.
  7. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

From what i understand it is 1/2 the amount of the previous spouse, is this correct?
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm amazed SS called you too. I've never heard of this before. I jsut checked the SS website and it says you have to be at least 62 to get the benefits of an ex-spouse and have been married for at least 10 years.

What if you are receiving SSDI (as I am) - do you know if this would affect receiving SS benefits from an ex-spouse?

ETA - I think I just found the answer. It looks like you have a choice to receive either your own SS benefits or your share of your ex-spouse's, but I don't think you can get both.

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2010]
  9. quanked

quanked Member

one can, if divorced, collect veteran's benefits if one's previous spouse died in while in the military.

I did not put that well. My mom's first husband died in the Korean war. She went on to marry my father and then divorced him 20 years later. She discovered a number of years after she divorced my dad that she was eligible to collect veteran's benefits--which she did until her death.