May I ask a selenium question?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Apr 28, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Someone here said to take some selenium, So I went and bought a bottle of 100mcg with 100 tablets. One thing I noticed on the front label was it said, "From Primary Yeast".... If I'm fighting candida, is this the kind of yeast in selenium that I should be taking? Any info. would be appreciated..

I am taking probiotics along with a lot of other supplements & vitamins... I just don't know if I should add selenium if it's from primary yeast...I don't even understand that statement..
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It's not the same kind of yeast. Plus the probiotics will keep it down.

God Bless.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am allergic to yeast. I use Selenomethionine, it is a yeast free form of Selenium. If I don't I ITCH like CRAZY.
    Same thing with B Vitamins. Most of them are derived from YEAST. Make me itchy and sick feeling. I buy yeast free and no problems.

I don't know if the source being yeast would be counterproductive for fighting yeast or not. Sorry.
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

You can buy yeast-free selenium. I don't know if it would be a problem for candida.
  5. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

as far as I am aware Selenium fights yeast regardless, but the post I've bumped is called - For all you microbe hunters! Address Candida first!
  6. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

First of all, the "smorgasbord approach" is not the way to take supplements. If they are not in the correct form and the proper balance, too much of a good thing can become a bad thing. It can affect different organs in your body; your liver to be exact.

Secondly, nutritional supplements are not regulated by the US Govt and over 90%, if not manufactured according to Pharmaceutical Grade practices, they will not meet label claim. Very alarming!! Every nutritional manufacturer has the option to manufacture to Food Grade Standards or Pharmaceutical Grade Standards and most take the easy way out, not to mention, the least expensive.

One other thing to keep in mind, if an ingredient is synthetic, your body will not recognize it and will not absorb it.

There is a book out there called The Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements by Lyle MacWilliam, 3rd edition that is available through Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It is very helpful in determining what you should be putting into your body.

7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Thanks usanagirl........ It's good to hear from a physician on this board... Thanks to all!