Maya Angelou - Good reminder!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Janalynn, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I like to read this every once in a while..........

Maya Angelou said this:
    'I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.'

'I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.'

'I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.'
    'I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life.'
    'I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.'

'I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.'

'I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.'

'I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.'

'I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.'

'I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.'

'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.'

'I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.'

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day!
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

This is a beautiful writing by M.A.!,,,,Thanks for posting it! She's one of my favourite writers!,,,,,HUgs!,,,Sis
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

It's so funny, how you can be thinking , or worrying about something, and what you should do about it,

Then boom the first thing I read this morning, was this Beautiful Poem, to remind me, of what I should do, and not to worry about what others do.

that is probably fuzzy, I just Believe God reaches out to you, where and when you least expect Him To.

THanks and have a Beautiful day,
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love reading things which inspire me. I also love MA.

What if our physical incarnation is like a toddler in preschool? God, our angels, and our spirit guides have everything under control. Our only purpose is to exist, learn how to get along with others, and learn from our mistakes. Taking a spill, or having another take our toy, is a major tragedy in preschool. How we learn to handle these "tragedies" helps us grow into more capable, compassionate and caring individuals. How we learn to handle lifes big tragedies helps us grow as spirits. God, and His helpers, have it all under control. It just doesn't seem that way at times. If we can focus on the big picture, I think it makes all the difference.

I once read that we are not "Humans in search of the spiritual experience; we are spirits in search of the human experience."

Love, Mikie
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Thanks for your Analogy (sp?) very insightful.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Somewhere along the line, as I've delved into spiritual things, I have had a paradigm shift away from solely traditional religion and into a broader perspective. I haven't given up religion, I've just expanded on it. Now, everything seems to make more sense to me.

Another thing which has helped me is actually from the movie, "Santa Clause." "Seeing isn't believing; believing is seeing."

Enlightenment is everywhere but we miss most of the lessons because we are so steeped in worry that we are not present in the moment while we are living our lives. I am still like that most of the time, but I now know enough to try to be more present and to allow life to help me grow and understand. I have to constantly stop and "reset" myself so that I'm not thinking about what might happen or worrying about the future. I now have two words, not helpful, when I find myself not being present in the moment.

BTW, I have changed the way I pray. I ask God that I might be of help to at least one other person today. That takes the focus off of me and my problems and keeps me present so that I might see opportunities to be of use. There are so many ways we can help one another. If there is no physical way we can help, we can, at least, ask God to bless someone we see. I think it's fun to spot a perfect stranger and just offer up a little prayer to ask God to watch over him or her. I also love the concept of "paying it forward." I found out from my kids that my ex will often pick up the tab anonymously for older people at restaurants. That really warmed my heart.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2009]