Maybe posted before.. any new (or old) books helpful? TX?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tired42long, Sep 10, 2002.

1. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all, am trying to make sense out of this disease by simple scrambling around trying to find information (when I feel well enough and mentally alive enough to do so). I know many of us are on tihgt budgets and can't really afford to just go out and buy all books, videos, or even supplemental plans and do "alternative" treatments. Could we do a little search here for what we INDIVIDUALLY found helpful---not too medically or biochemically indepth (for those of us with brain drain and need the "laypersons" guides). There is such bombardment with new books and treatments, those that offer quick fixes and things that seem way to simple and downright weird. It would be easier to at least be offered advice from ALL OF YOU that actually experience these diseases and found what worked. I'm sure some of it is "quackery" as in most medical feilds,,,those trying to make a buck and not even knowing what it is like. I know we are all individuals and do not experience the exact same symptoms or resonse to different treatments and drugs, etc...but I think SOME input about our experiences may help us save money on those publications that were "way out there" or tought to understand, or even those alternative "drugs or treatments" that may have led to bad or even dangerous experiences. Any body out there willing to help with this sorting? Of course, it's all objective...but I would trust ANY of you at least as much or more than docs because YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. We may be able to save each other some money, time, and pain.
    Eileen
  2. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all, am trying to make sense out of this disease by simple scrambling around trying to find information (when I feel well enough and mentally alive enough to do so). I know many of us are on tihgt budgets and can't really afford to just go out and buy all books, videos, or even supplemental plans and do "alternative" treatments. Could we do a little search here for what we INDIVIDUALLY found helpful---not too medically or biochemically indepth (for those of us with brain drain and need the "laypersons" guides). There is such bombardment with new books and treatments, those that offer quick fixes and things that seem way to simple and downright weird. It would be easier to at least be offered advice from ALL OF YOU that actually experience these diseases and found what worked. I'm sure some of it is "quackery" as in most medical feilds,,,those trying to make a buck and not even knowing what it is like. I know we are all individuals and do not experience the exact same symptoms or resonse to different treatments and drugs, etc...but I think SOME input about our experiences may help us save money on those publications that were "way out there" or tought to understand, or even those alternative "drugs or treatments" that may have led to bad or even dangerous experiences. Any body out there willing to help with this sorting? Of course, it's all objective...but I would trust ANY of you at least as much or more than docs because YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE. We may be able to save each other some money, time, and pain.
    Eileen
  3. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Elaine,
    My sister-in-law is a social worker and an L.P.N. and she has taken a couple of seminars on fibromyalgia. She recommended a book to me that I've just started reading, but I think that it's helpful. I bought my book @ Barnes & Noble, but I'm sure numerous book stores carry it as they told me that it sells out quickly. They can't seem to keep it in the store. The name of the book is: Full Catastrophe Living and the author is: Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D. Hope this is helpful to alot of people. dolsgirl