Maybe will give an extra offering to the Moon god

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Jun 20, 2008.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Just a quick note. Saw my first mountain lion last night. Still a bit hyped. It was crossing the road about 100 ft ahead. I thought at first that it was a really big dog, but started to notice a few things like that it was a really long big dog and didn't walk like a dog.

Anyway, it turned around after crossing road and just calmly looked at me. I was not quite so calm, and turned my bike around and took the main highway home. I probably could have safely ridden past the lion.....but, nooo.

Just glad that a full moon last night. Anyway,I may make some changes for my 1AM ride home. Cheers, your mr Bill
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm sure it was calm, why wouldn't it be?

Just how often do you take 1 AM bike rides anyway? ... I'm not sure I'd want to take any more around there, at least not now that it knows you bike there! Have to wonder, how many other times has it seen you but not vice-versa???

glad you're still here!

3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I would just make sure that you have an offering for the mountain Lion, and forget the Moon God!!!!!!

We have bears, and Coyote here...We can send some if you need????
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is this the truth or are you lion?

I think you did the right thing. Mountain lions don't ordinarily attack people, but why give one the opportunity to make the news?

What else do you see at night? When I was a kid and we took drives in the country, we often saw eyes shining along side the road. Sometimes a deer would bound across the road and jump the fence.

And there was often the faint, not unpleasant scent of a distant skunk in the air.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Scared out of your wits is a reminder that your still ticking along!,,,,,lolol,,,,Glad the Lion just turned and looked at you and didn't feel the need to attack!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My Dad once mistaked a Cyote for a Mt. lion,,,,,and shot him,,,,years ago,,,,the lion was troubleing a heard of Cows,,,,,,,needless to say the mountian lion hide has hung on the wall for 50 years!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do you have a headlight on your bike?,,,,,,stay safe!,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  6. therealmadscientist

that I haven't become Big Cat food yet.

Definitely a memorable experience. Kind of activated my obsessive compulsive thought mechanisms for a couple of days.

Anyway, think I'll stick main road for my 1 AM ride home from work for now. About five days a week. Maybe will be more careful on the occasional morning ride home.

I bought three flashlights to attach to bike so I can see sides of road, and maybe have something to hit it with if necessary.

A mountain lion was shot last week on the other side of town, but that was before I saw mine.

We have more than enough bears here, but thanks for offer. Haven't seen any coyotes here.....perhaps they get eaten by the mountain lions. Plenty of deer.

I almost ran over a skunk last year. We were going same direction following the center line. I saw it about ten feet ahead (no full moon) and barely missed running over it.

The news here is all the smoke. Like a light fog. Can't see stars. About fifty small fires in the county, but I guess no homes threatened. This is only June, so a little concerned about what's going to happen in August.

Oh, I live next door to the county fire department so take comfort from that. It's a bit deserted now. The South side of town is somewhat in the forest so might lose it someday.

The sawmill has "mountains" of lumber. A lot of harvesting from the big moonlight fire last year.

Well, enough chit chat I suppose. Cheers, your mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2008]
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Mr Bill, that's so cool! You were staring into the eyes of a big cat... and he into yours! And, as a bonus, you didn't get eaten!

That is very, very cool. And, scary too!

8. therealmadscientist

I like the part where I didn't get eaten:)

It was a bit too dark to see his eyes well. I've heard that Bobcats have a look of calm "supreme confidence".
    I guess "fear" or anxiety doesn't make up a large part of mountain lion personality. Shyness, but not much fear i don't think.

Well, time for my bike ride home:) Cheers.
  9. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Our son lives in Colorado and behind his complex is a wooded area with a path. He had started running at night but decided that there were to many critters for his liking. He decided he'd stick to daylight hours. Hope your rides are always safe. Godbless
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

"I bought three flashlights to attach to bike so I can see sides of road, and maybe...

...have something to hit it with if necessary."

That would be my plan if I was in your situation!
  11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

My attitude t'wards situations like this is that it's all fire and magic... once. Were I you, I think I'd avoid the area henceforth. It is a wonderful story but one does have to be alive to tell it!

Careful, Mr Bill. I, for one, would miss you if you got eaten.

Peace out,

12. therealmadscientist

But I have changed my path home at night. Maybe I should carry a camera just in case:)

Oh, the daughter of someone I work with just came by here......she had bruises all over, the shoulders and hips that I could see.
    Apparent she tried to cross under a waterfall and slipped amd was pulled into the river and bounced around for about a minute before coming up.

Every once in awhile here someone gets caught by the river current against a rock and can't move and drowns.

BTW it really is very safe, peaceful and civilized here.
    I just happen to mention the rare exceptions. lol mr Bill
  13. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I'm such a suburb chic and adore animals...I'd be one of those idiots on TV saying "I only wanted to pet the kitty and it took off my arm and left gashes in my chest." Seriously, would instinct to leave kick in or would I want to stay and watch? I'd wanna watch!! hhmmmm...doesn't say much about my intelect does it?

Oh well...

14. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Mr Bill, do be careful!

I am so happy to live where I'm nice and safe -- the big city.

15. springwater

springwater Active Member

I would love to live in a place where i had to cross waterfalls and pass thru woods to get to anywhere

where i live it seems like a dream....its just streets and dust and noisy vehicles

there is something SO beautiful about big cats or indeed any kind of animal belonging to the cat species...very haughty and mysterious look in their eyes and in the imperious way they pace while they know theyre a cut above the rest

but yes, losing The MadScientist to a hungry feline is NOT an option for us you stay safe, Mr Bill and thanks for sharing

God Bless
  16. mezombie

mezombie Member

Uhm, isn't that what zoos are for?

What can I say. I'm a very politically incorrect big city kid.

BILLCAMO New Member

I needed some smiles so I came here. Thought I'd try to share a few while I'm here.

You lived in Spokane & Umatilla and never saw a cougar before ? HHHHMMMM.

The good news is that the cougars you see are usually safe. It's the ones you don't see that will getcha !

I've been tracked by cougars , seen 'em , and "avoided" some in other manners.

Been face to face (at about 5') with a full grown Grizzly when they were supposed to be extinct here. (Only had a "pop gun" in my hand.) Didn't "poo" my pants until after we had a stare down. LOL

Have been up close & personal to Wolverines 6 times in my life. (They can be meaner than Grizzlies!).

Hugged trees to avoid stampeeding elk.

Been caught on the downhill side of a few avalanches and rock slides...

And various and asundry other experiences.

So , I know you will survive this....... :>)....

You just been mooned by the "elder" Mr. Bill. :>}

You didn't see me since I was dressed in camo !

Blessings ,

18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What are you giving MrBill?

Camouflage or persiflage?

19. Didoe

Didoe New Member

i read this and did some calculations.
    according to my records, Mr. Boo was out and about the night you THOUGHT you saw a mountain lion. i bailed him out last weekend after a wild spree...a memorial pic of his latest victim is in my profile...but, i digress.

a resourceful mountain man would have tucked a big weapon into his bike basket along with the pemmican. i wuz thinking of The Collected Stories of John Cheever.

if you couldnt knock him out by throwing the book at him, you could have stopped him dead in his tracks, by reading to him out loud in the moonlight.

BILLCAMO New Member

I looked & looked & looked and couldn't find it....

Then I remembered....I had wrapped my dictionary in camouflage and shipped it to mr Bill...

Dual duty gift .... now he also has something to throw at the cougar !

Blessings ,