Mayers Cocktails

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by motomom412, Sep 16, 2005.

1. motomom412

motomom412 New Member

hey guys and gals!

I've just started taking IV Therapy. Has anyone heard of it? Today was my first treatment. The nurse said it would probably take 3-4 treatments before I felt a difference. The first treatment makes you really tired.

They want to start me on guaifenesin as well. Has anyone taken any of these treatments?

Thanks,
    Regene
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Fibromyalgia and fatique centers use Ivs. You can try searching FFC for more info. You are on the right track and you have a Dr who is willing to try to treat you! Good Luck Lynn
  3. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I just wanted to let you know that I am aware of the Meyer's Cocktail. This is named after a doctor who came up with the idea of a vitamin infusion. You can put Dr. (John?)Meyer in your search engine or Meyer Cocktail and it will bring up info. regarding same.

I am currently following the guaifenesin protocol, per my nurses instructions. You can look this up in the message board here by putting guaifenesin in and you will find tons of information here.

Also, you can put guaidoc.com in your search engine and it will explain the whole protocol to you. It was recommended, by my nurse practioner, that I have a series of tests before I was treated for fibromyalgia, to ensure there were not other issues to deal with.

I was also diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, which in my opinion, and I do have many, most fibros probably suffer from this. Adrenalfatigue.com is a good place to look up info on this topic.

As far as my guaifenesin therapy goes, I am feeling better these days, not great. I have days when the pain is not factor, but I am not pain free. I have days when the pain is focused on one body part (hip, foot, arm, etc.) and not all over general body pain.

Following the guaifenesin protocol is a LIFETIME commitment, intended to reverse the symptoms of fibromyalgia, not cure it. You must understand that before taking this on. It is not a quick process and requires constant awareness of what you need to avoid in order for the medicine to work.

You will need to buy the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia. Notice, I said "buy" the book, because this will your constant read to understand the process.

I beleive when fibros are in as much pain as most of us are, you would be willing to give anything that would promise relief a try. Again, my opinion. I don't understand why more fibros do not try this. I am into it for a month now, very little time, when you consider a lifetime treatment plan.

I hope you give the guaifenesin a try and I hope this info helps you.

Wishing you joy in you day, today.

Charlotte
  4. FM58

FM58 New Member

Regene,

I was fortunate to find a doc who treated me w/ Meyers Coctails IV's last summer when I had an Ebstein Barr flare. I was literally sleeping all night then another 8-10 hours per day!

My PCP really did not know what to do for me, sent me to an ID doc who didn't believe in EBV! Found this doc through the doc that was giving me accupuncture. Unfortunately everything was out of pocket, as he was not in my insurance plan. The magnesiem in the IV may make you a little sleepy, I actually slept every time I had the IV administered LOL! But- it was well worth 3 months 2x week of treatment for me.

As for Guaifensen - I have St. Amand's book and am working with a doctor. He wanted to clear up some other issues before I started on the guai- so I am hoping the next time I see him, he will give me the go ahead to start. You really do need to buy the book yourself & refer to his website for an updated list of safe products.

It sounds like you have a wonderful doctor & are really on the right track. I hopr these things work out for you. Keep us posted.

Hugs,
    Patty
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi Regene,
    Im dealing with EBV. I had 3 of these cocktail one a week. The first one I was very jumping and lots of not right energy ( it did not feel good). The second shot I hit the low end. On shot 3 I was in the middle feeling wise... but my colon is very slow and I was in great pain from that. I stopped the shots $125.00 each out of pocket. I felt they were to much for my body to handle with my colon so slow. I started focusing on my colon and diet with Eating right for your type by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo. I don't think the Meyer's did much positive for me. Jumping on a good tramp, lots of good water and Diet is helping me the most. And learning stress busters like breathing, deep praying and listening to my body. It's a slow process for me with many set backs.
    Take care
    Dee50
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Regene,

You are fortunate to have found a Doctor who will try some of these treatments with you. I think everyone is different in how they respond. I have had the Meyers' for a while now and I find they do help. When I was first detoxing from the mercury they sometimes made me feel a bit sick as they were increasing the detoxing. Now I find they help my energy and clear my head.

I have not tried the guai but many have and have been helped.
    Good luck.

Kathy.
  7. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I took 10 treatments. I wasted a lot of money and a lot of time, no improvement what so ever.

andrea
  8. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

I had my first IV infusion yesterday. I'm so relaxed! I slept great last night. I'm having a hard time getting going today not because of pain, just because I'm so darned relaxed!

I found this info on the web for anybody interested....

Health Benefits of Intravenous Nutrient Therapy

By Darin Ingels, ND

Healthnotes Newswire (January 16, 2003)—Administering a vitamin and mineral formula (known as the “Myers cocktail”) intravenously may be useful in treating a variety of medical problems, according to a report in Alternative Medicine Review (2002;7:389–403). Although few studies have been published on this therapy, many physicians have observed its benefit in treating migraine headaches, fatigue, allergies, heart disease, acute asthma attacks, fibromyalgia, infections, and other conditions.

The Myers cocktail was pioneered by John Myers, MD, a physician from Baltimore, Maryland, who developed this treatment more than 30 years ago. The doses of the various nutrients were subsequently modified, based on more recent information, by Alan R. Gaby, MD, the author of the report.

The vitamin-mineral combination includes magnesium, calcium, vitamin B12 (hydroxocobalamin), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin B5 (dexpanthenol), vitamin B complex, and vitamin C. Intravenous therapy can raise blood levels of nutrients to a considerably greater extent than oral therapy can, and some doctors believe that achieving these high blood levels has therapeutic benefits in certain clinical situations. The benefits of the Myers cocktail may be due to the drug-like (pharmacological) effects of some nutrients (for example, high concentrations of vitamin C kills viruses), or to improved transport of nutrients from the blood into the cells. More research is necessary to clarify this issue.

Some physicians who use the Myers cocktail report that it is particularly useful in treating acute asthma attacks and acute migraine headaches. Relief of symptoms usually occurs within minutes of administering the concoction. It is not clear whether the benefits are due to one nutrient or to the combination of nutrients, but other studies have shown that intravenous magnesium alone can reduce the symptoms of asthma and migraines. However, the author’s observation is that the Myers cocktail is more beneficial for acute asthma attacks than is magnesium alone.

The author and other physicians have found that the Myers cocktail is also useful in treating angina, chronic fatigue syndrome, bronchitis, sinusitis, fibromyalgia, hayfever, chronic hives, narcotic withdrawal, hyperthyroidism, muscles spasms, tension headaches, and some cases of mild to moderate depression. While many people improved after the first treatment, others required several treatments to achieve the maximum benefit, suggesting this therapy may have a cumulative effect. The number of treatments needed varies by person and condition. Some individuals obtain long-lasting relief after a few treatments, while others require ongoing treatments to maintain the benefit. The risk of serious adverse reactions is said to be low and the treatment is usually well tolerated.

The most common side effect of the Myers cocktail is a sensation of warmth, particularly if the injection is given rapidly. This effect is primarily due to magnesium, although calcium may also be a contributing factor. People with low blood pressure may be more prone to this side effect than those with normal or high blood pressure. People taking digoxin (Lanoxin®) and medications that deplete potassium should be cautious in using this treatment, since giving magnesium intravenously to such individuals could induce an irregular heart beat. The Myers cocktail can be prescribed only by a medical doctor, osteopath, or, in some states, a naturopath.

Although most of the reported benefits of the Myers cocktail are anecdotal, doctors who use this treatment are convinced that it often produces results not achievable by any other means. Controlled studies are needed to verify these clinical observations.

Darin Ingels, ND, MT (ASCP), received his bachelor’s degree from Purdue University and his Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University in Kenmore, WA. Dr. Ingels is the author of The Natural Pharmacist: Lowering Cholesterol (Prima, 1999) and Natural Treatments for High Cholesterol (Prima, 2000). He currently is in private practice at New England Family Health Associates located in Southport, CT, where he specializes in environmental medicine and allergies. Dr. Ingels is a regular contributor to Healthnotes and Healthnotes Newswire.

Copyright © 2003 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of the Healthnotes® content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Healthnotes, Inc. Healthnotes Newswire is for educational or informational purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose or provide treatment for any condition. If you have any concerns about your own health, you should always consult with a healthcare professional. Healthnotes, Inc. shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Healthnotes and the Healthnotes logo are registered trademarks of Healthnotes, Inc.

9. elsa

elsa New Member

I had a version of the Mayer's cocktail Monday with an added glutithione push.

I had a pretty bad headache starting about 1-2 hours afterwards that lasted about 48 hours.

I also had an increase of heart rate and respiration that lasted throughout the afternoon and night.

I feel this could benefit many, but too potent for me. Maybe I didn't need all that much of a boost. I'm not quite as bad off as I was and I have been taking b-complex, b-12 and 1000 mgs of C fairly regularly.

I did have a bit of a herx response from the glutithione which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when balanced against the negatives, it is not a treatment I'm going to follow up on.

Good luck to you with this. I do agree with the premise of Myer's cocktail/IV therapy .... it's just not for me.

Take care,

Elsa
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

Bumping back up .....

E.
  11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I'm doing the Guai protocol, & is is essential to read the book mentioned.

Does anyone know - is the Meyer's cocktail available in the UK please? It sounds worth investigating.

Please keep us informed of your progress Regene, best wishes with all this!
  12. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Sorry to hear about your response to the Myer's cocktail.

What were your herxing symptoms?

Hope you're feeling better now!

-Laurie
  13. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Laurie,

With Tansy's help I've been able to piece together what happend with me.

I have been taking 2000mcg of sublingual B12 everyday for quite a while now. With the extra B12 included in the IV, I got more B12 then I needed, thus the headache shortly after it was administered.

The herx response from the glutithione was very minimal. Got the IV and glutithione push around 12:30 on Monday and by Tuesday morning had a bit of a congested head.

Wed. morning had that feeling of turning my head and my vision being a couple of seconds behind the action. (Kind of hard to explain, but when I get this feeling it usually means some type of infection is unloading.)

By thursday my head was clear. I did have a small amount of intestinal cramping (very small)and for me, a bit of loose bowel .... Still, no big deal and it didn't disrupt my day or my ability to eat.

By today I'm feeling fine, so it's all done. I did drink a ton of fluids to help push this stuff along, so maybe that's why the herx was short lived.

For the past 2 years I have been treating any viral things aggressively. First with a 6 month run of valtrex, then famvir. After that I switched to colostrum and whey protein concentrate. I also have TF essentials. With all this I don't think I have very active viral problems.

Plus, whey protein concentrate is the absolute best way to get l-glutithione besides the IV method. Since I have been taking that whey product, the anti-oxident action of the IV glutithione wasn't that strong for me.

All in all, the idea of that IV treatment is an excellent one. I'm just at the stage of my treatment plan that it is not that beneficial to me.

Good luck with your treatments. I hope they do wonderful things for you! I'll keep positive thoughts going in that direction.

Take care,

Elsa
  14. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Thanks for the warm thoughts Elsa.

I have wanted to try the IV therapy for quite some time. I'm thrilled that I am having such a positive response. I sent my hubby down to get one today because his allergies are acting up so terribly with these Santana winds that we've been having in CA. The doctor told him that the Myers cocktail helped most of his patients, but a small percentage of them actually made their allergies worse. We're so individual in these matters.

Maybe you're aware, but Magnesium and vitamin C in large doses can also cause a loose bowel too. Both are usually contained in the Myers IV.

Don't know when I'll be able to afford another IV, but I'll be saving my pennies!

Love & Light, Laurie