MCAS and SATS? what do i do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i'm a sophomore this year, in high school.
    i haven't been doing well this school year because i'm at the beginning of FMS,
    and i've been out off and on for about six months.
    anyways, i have the SATS and MCAS coming up,
    i know MCAS is at the end of this month,
    and i'm desperately worried.

i don't worry about the english part of the exam,
    i know even if i didn't make it through soph. english, i'll do okay.
    but another of the classes i'm not able to take this year is geometry.
    math isn't one of my best subjects,
    that along with not practicing any of it all year
    {i was supposed to take it this sem. but they decided against it}
    and the fibro fog, it just seems impossible that i'll pass on it.

and besides just not being able to think straight for it,
    i've been sick with a migraine ALOT lately,
    i'm worried i won't be able to make it.

did anyone else have problems with SATS and MCAS?
    or have teenagers that went through this?
    i don't know what to do, and my school is being less than accomodating since i've gotten sick.

thanks,
    -danielle
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I assume you are talking about the SAT test?

Try not to worry. Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask of you ... and remember that even IF you don't do as well as you want to, you can always take them again! The more you build it up in your head as a big stressful deal, the more you are going to freak out and panic and such.

I took them in senior year after I had depression and anxiety issues throughout high school, I didn't study a LICK and then took them. They are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be! The trick was that I just had to stay calm, and I did and it went well.

Take care! And hang in there! You're having to cope with quite a lot, just think about the strength you have to have gotten this far and just remind yourself you are strong and capable to doing this.
  3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

4. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

dani
    what state are you in? if you see the other thread you posted on about setting up an education plan you I gave information to some other people about what can be done (UNTIMED TESTS ETC.,) which you have a right to even if you are in the homebound program....actually especially...

I can get you some contact information for your state if you like and you can find a volunteer to help you and your mom get some things done for you. This will help you with your college issues also.

Hope
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

hope,
    i'm in mass.
    i'm just horribly stressed out,
    which doesn't help the FM,
    because my school hasn't been real helpful through this whole thing.
    they basically blamed me half the time for being sick.
    which is why i'm so nervous about the tests.
    are there certain rules about people with illnesses or disabilities like this taking those tests?
    like, that the school has to help or make exceptions if i'm not able to come that day or if i can't get it all done fast enough?
  6. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi Danielle,
    If you go to http://www.collegeboard.com/ssd/student/index.html there is specific information for "Services for Students with Disabilities" for the College Board tests, the SAT, AP, PSAT/NMSQT, etc. It has so much information in the whole site that I think you would find helpful. If you start at the beginning of the site, http://www.collegeboard.com/splash and click on the area "for students" it will take you to a page where you can choose "plan for college" , where it gives you an "action plan" for sophmores.

I think the site would work for your area -- the headquarters is in New York, and my son (we are in Oregon) found the site really beneficial with so much information about SAT tests, preparation for the tests, practice questions, info on how to obtain financial aid, grants, etc, and info on 3,500 colleges. This is the site where his highschool had him register for the SAT test that he took here in January.

I hope you find this information helpful, and wish you luck!

Sherri
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

ditto to what sherri says.

your mcas is untimed any way honey. you have all day to finish it so there is no rush. if you should fail it, your school should have a program in place to have you tutored for it so you will pass next year. it is free (the state of mass gives grant money for it) if not in your own town some other one then. ask about this.

for the sat you will need your guidance counselor to apply for a disability exemption for you (like sherri mentioned).that needs to be done this year so you can take the test next year and have all the accommodations in place.. you will probably need medical documentation for this. You can get extra time, alternate test setting etc. don't be afraid to ask for it, or have your parent ask.

you said the school is not accommodating. neither was ours. your best bet if you can get a parent or other adult to step up for you. the school is technically breaking the law if they do not comply. have the doctor write something as well.

i know because my daughter is finishing up high school and she went through ALL of this, and it is tough, and you will make it ok too.

good luck sweetie
    michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2006]
  8. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

Yes there are a LOT of rules...
    GO TO this thread:

Setting up an Education Plan for child with CFIDS/FM

read all the posts, there are tons of things you have a right to mentioned there (especially in my posts)

HAVE YOUR MOM (or you) call each of these places below and tell them about your illness, that you would like testing accomodations at school (and for college board testing) which can carry over to your college years.

Tell them you would like to be referred to a parent advocate or someone who can help you weed through the process of making this happen.

first one:

http://www.dlc-ma.org/
    The Protection & Advocacy Agency for Massachusetts

second one:

http://www.massfamilyties.org/parenttoparent.html
    Parent to Parent (Family Ties of Mass)
    third one:

http://www.ipest.org/
    Island Parents Educational Support & Training Center (IPEST). Our mission is to train parents and other caregivers to become active participants in the educational process of their child/children with a disability. The ultimate goal is to pass these skills on so that children can advocate for their own educational needs. We work with families whose children range in ages from birth to 22 years.

IPEST is a non-profit organization that was fomed in 1990.

9. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

bumpety bump
  10. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

bump for dani
  11. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Try not to agonize about this - just do your best.

Of course it's hard not to, but I can tell you for sure that no matter what you get on your SATs you can still get into a college. I had many friends that did not take tests well and revamped their college plans - going to a "lesser" school for a year and then transfering "up" to a better school.

I myself did well on the English portion and did truly DREADFUL on the math portion (as in only slightly above the minimum score you get for signing your name). I took the SAT's twice, and my score the second time was worse than the first time.

I still got into a decent school and became a CHEMISTRY major to boot. I hated chemistry so much in high school that I didn't even take it as a class. My first chemistry class was my freshman year in college!!! And with chemistry I had to take advanced math (calculus, etc.) for 3 of the 4 years I was in college - I passed them all (even P-Chem).

My best friend from high school had way better scores than me, but ended up dropping out of school because she partied too much and flunked out. She took a couple of years off and then got back into school and now has a PhD in Organic Chemistry and is a college professor!!!

All I can say is that where there is a will, there is a way.

As soon as you get to college, you will realize that all the hubbub about SATs and MCAS is all a load of B.S.

College admissions look at other factors as well. If grades are not the strongest suit, then you go for the "Wow -- we've gotta have her" with the essay, recommendations and most importantly, your interview.

Just do the best you can, get any extra services that the testing boards offer because of your medical disability and keep in mind that 3 years from now, you will know firsthand how unimportant those tests really are in the grand scheme of life.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie