MCS and New Dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yellowbird, Aug 23, 2006.

1. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

Hello,
    I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivites along with CFS. I recently bought a dehumidifier from a very 'respectable' company. Unfortunately I can't use it because it has a weird, 'burnt rubber' smell that fills up the house and gives me an instant headache.
    I sent it to be repaired but now they are telling me that the smell is 'normal'! Do you think that's possible? Has anyone had a similar experience? And, importantly, does anyone know of a brand of dehumidifer that doesn't smell?

yellowbird
  2. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

it's a sears kenmore one.

I need to know if this is normal for a dehumidifer, because if that is the case then I have to look for one recommended especially for people with MCS (expensive). Otherwise, if just this brand is bad, I can look for a different 'ordinary' one.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

this is normal. I'm very MCS and I notice the smell from anything. I don't even try to use anything new, it has to air outside. things like appliances get plugged in and ran out in the barn for awhile.

I recently got a new dehumidifier too and it took several days of running outside before i could bring it in. Even when I did first use it inside, I couldn't be in the same room as it for a few days and could only run it enough to take the humidity down. Water appliances don't take as long, but our vacuum took mths.

Its all normal when you are very sensitive. All the new paint, rubber, plastic, glues, etc that its made w/ have to air and are very smelly at first. And that's just coming out of the box, which smells like every chemical in the store. There really is a burning off smell when you run an appliance. Some normal people notice it too, but it doesn't make them sick like us. Changing brands won't help, its just the way of new things.

jeanne
  4. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

i ran the thing outside for 2 days, and it's been at rest here or in the shop for a month now, and the smell is only slightly improved.... the trouble is it's gotten to the point that i'm so overloaded with the smell that i can't stand to run it at all anymore

i wonder if i leave it in a the closet all winter i'd be able to use it next summer?!

fellow canadian,
    yellowbird
  5. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

I know the burnt rubber smell. The things from petrochemicals are some of the worst. I would think it will have to be run to lose smell. I have to buy most clothes, except cotton way before. Wash and wash and wash and hope it won't bother. Isn't this a heck of a way to live??? Penny
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Well, I have a dehumidifier, and it has never smelled bad in any way. What a pain for you! The smell of burnt rubber could be the precursor to a fire! The things that companies will try to get away with. That is not normal at all. Hope you get this matter settled to your satisfaction. Marie
  7. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

could you possibly tell me what brand you have?

thanks so much
    yellowbird
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2006]
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The only name I can see on it is Simplicity. It was bought at a Canadian Tire store. Don't know if this is of much help to you. Marie
  9. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

very helpul, thanks!