MCS and shower curtain liners

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Just wondering if anyone else with MCS has a problem with the fumes from new plastic shower curtain liners....and if so, any suggestions? (I don't like the cloth ones bc the heat from the shower makes them draw inward and they wind up sticking to me while I'm trying to shower, and I can't get a shower with a glass door, bc I don't own a house)
  2. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I have a difficult time with the fumes, too.

I bought a new one in April; laid it ouside over the patio table for 2 days, and it was just fine!

Hope this works for you..

3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

clothes line. That way air can flow between and air it out faster.
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

I usually let mine air out for several months at least.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks to everyone who responded....the suggestions are helpful and it's good to know I am not the only one with these issues
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

After a few times you get used to the cloth ones. I just can't use the plastic ones, they're just too nasty and mold will grow quickly on them.

I love the cloth ones but it the only kind I have used. In the long run it is also cheaper because you have them longer and with just a weekly or biweekly toss in the washer they are clean and ready to hang.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2009]
  7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

I just talked to my sister yesterday and she mentioned she picked up a shower curtain at Wal-Mart a while back that claimed to be non-toxic. She was skeptical, but she bought it and was surprised that she could not smell anything at all. She's not sure if they still carry it or not.

8. outofstep

outofstep Member

This is another kind of vinyl that does not contain chlorine like PVC so it's supposedly less toxic. Ikea has them.
  9. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

have you tried, or considered, hemp? I know you said you didn't like cloth. Hemp hangs straight down since it has a little more weight when wet, and it's waterproof ... and it's not plastic!! :)

a place I shop may carry one, i'm not sure: - they used to, anyway.

fwiw, above website also carries great products for people with M.C.S., etc. - all natural stuff; really.
  10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

- for all the responses....some good suggestions that I have never heard of, like the hemp curtains....I really appreciate all the ideas