MCS sufferers: what do you use to cleanse and moisturise your face? rop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by shelbo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I am very worried as I have a cleanser/ moisturiser I can use right now but I have only a little bit left of each (the companies reformulated making the updated versions impossible for me to use!)

I have very sensitive, dry skin that needs careful handling... I simply cannot do without a cleanser and moisturiser..

However, every single thing I try makes me feel very ill, nauseous, causes a migraine, sinus pain, muscle pain and fatigue...plus intense all-over body itching...which is incredibly difficult to deal with on top of pain and exhaustion...

I have tried natural stuff, fragrance-free stuff and unscented stuff...they all do the same thing...make me ill and intensely itchy all over...the itch moves around constantly with no indication of where it will be next and stays with me the whole time I have the thing I've been exposed to on my skin...

Anti-histamines do not help...

I'm getting really worried...I honestly don't think I will be here when I run out of the stuff I can currently use...I know I just won't cope...I don't want to and cannot live like that...

Hoping someone can recommend something that works for them and offer some advice...

Thanks so much,

A Desperate Shelbo :(

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2010]
  2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I use cold-pressed vitamin E oil, plus have learned that adding a tsp of olive oil to every mini-meal keeps my skin a lot healthier than it used to be.
  3. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

hi all,
    my skin problems can drive me mad at times.i have psoriasis on the knees.and a skin problem in my ears, that im told is related to enviromental allergens.

im washing my body in dove soap,for sensitive skin.it is very creamy and doesnt irritate my skin.

im also applying olive oil, to my skin each night,and have been getting good results.its really helping to keep my ear skin problem, under
    control.

love fran.
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

GB66: can I ask if the Merle Norman moisturiser is fragranced at all? I can't see any info re ingredients on the Merle Norman website.. Thanks :)

Ps...Thanks cfidsmedia but I can't use essential oils...

5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

7. shelbo

shelbo New Member

8. sascha

sascha Member

you can find them in health food stores. there are two facials cleansers i have- one's a facial scrub; the other a plain cleanser. both say 'hypo allergenic'. they both say 'pineapple enzyme' on the front. i especially like the scrub variety; makes my face feel so clean. Alba also has moisturizer that's very gentle-- it says, 'aloe & green tea - oil-free moisturizer' & is also hypo-allergenic. sascha
  9. Doober

Doober New Member

at the ingredients on the bottle of the stuff you have now and see if you can find something similar?

Have you tried an internet search for "products similar to ________?" Add your product name in their.

It is like murphy's law that you find something that works for you, someone changes the formula or the company making the product gets bought by another company and they either discontinue the product or "try" to make it better.

I hope you are successful in finding something that works for you.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

11. Puddleglum

Puddleglum New Member

Moisturizer: Complex 15 (used for more than 20 yrs)

Hair: Free & Clear Shampoo and Hair Spray

Makeup: little I use is Clinique

Olivia
  12. 4Christ

4Christ New Member

Dear Shelbo,

I understand your frustration and concerns as I am myself dealing with the exact situation as you. Unfortunately we are all unique and do not react to the same things even with this disease MCS. I to have the very same situation as yourself with the changing of products. I am ok with the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash as I use free and clear like some of the others have posted. However, any soap for the body is very drying and I have extremely dry skin. I use to use Lubriderm sensitive skin lotion and have used it for over 10 years and it has been reformulated. So, I only have a little left and everything I put on my skin reacts not necessarily to my skin but systemically, headaches, muscle pain, hives, itchy any or all of these symptoms. I cannot use anything with chemicals, preservatives or even the natural products (olive oil, oils in general, petroleum does not work at all) either, I have MCS, and extreme Allergies as well. I would love to give some advice however, I myself am struggling with finding a moisturizer.

Love in Christ.
    Missy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2011]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2011]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A dermatologist or allergist? Obviously you have a lot of sensitivities to the ingredients in cosmetics.

For years, I had rosecia (sp?). When I started using Clinique products, it cleared up and has never come back. I used the astringent for sensitive skin. I love their bar soap to wash my face. It lasts forever and comes in little bars for traveling. I still use the soap but now only use their liquid makeup.

Following my topical chemo all over my face, I asked the dermatologist what I should use. She said products with Retinol and vitamin C were the best. Currently, products with vitamin C are only sold in docs' offices or spas. I love Adrienne Arpel and she sells vitamin C products on HSN as well as her all around Retinol cream for face and eyes. You can buy a whole kit of her products for the price of one bottle of product from the doc or a spa. Her products are made by a pharmaceutical company and endorsed by dermatologists. Unfortunately, her products would probably irritate your skin but, at least, you could return them if they didn't work for you.

I suspect I may have Sjorgens Syndrome and my skin is very dry. I had been putting petroleum jelly on my feet under socks at night. I have since found out that pj can clog the lymph nodes. SS causes the lymph nodes to clog up too, so I no longer use the pj. My daughter uses olive oil and swears by it.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  14. 4Christ

4Christ New Member

Thanks for sharing with me, I will look into the Merle Noman product to see if it may be something I may be able to use. I pray that your antibiotic will work for you and cause you no discomfort.

God Bless. Missy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2011]
  15. 4Christ

4Christ New Member

Yes I have seen a few immunologists and an environmental medicine physician as well as dermatologist's. Most physicians do not understand MCS and the things they recommend even for sensitive skin are loaded with chemicals, the environmentalist absolutely does understand, but offers no solutions other than low dose allergy therapy which is very expensive, no insurance covers such treatment and is very difficult and disciplined and as ill as I am currently not sure I could even survive the treatment itself. Anyhow, thank you very much for your post and suggestions very kind of you. I have become so hypersensitive to things that my skin comes in contact with, that it makes it very difficult in trying new things. I was tested for Sjorgens a few years back but was negative. I have always had very dry skin even as a child.

Thanks and God Bless.
    Missy
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know how horrible it is for me just to walk down the detergent aisle in the market. I can't imagine being so sensitive to all those ingredients. If it were me, I'd just use water to cleanse but I don't know what you could use to moisturize. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love, Mikie
  17. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Thanks everyone... I really appreciate the replies...

4Christ: thanks for sharing! I'm sorry you are also afflicted and have been put in the same awful position that I have found myself in... I wish companies wouldn't change their products... :(
    I hope you find something soon! The Merle Norman stuff sounds promising although I don't know if the person who suggested that mentioned whether or not it contains fragrance of any kind. I have a couple of contacts in the States so maybe I will ask one of them to pick me up a sample.
    May I ask if you are looking for a moisturizer for your face or body? You said you have dry skin but I'm not sure if it affects your face or not? I have dry, sensitive facial skin (rosacea which also makes my eyes very problematic ... I get a lot of headaches and pain). I was wondering if facial dryness is an issue for you, what you use to wash your face with (though, I know, as you said, we are all different)... Did you use the Lubriderm to moisturize your face? Have you some left? Are you, as I am, experimenting to find a tolerable facial moisturizer? I seemingly react to everything and am really worried about how I will cope with all the symptoms when I run out of my tolerable skincare...
    May I ask whether any medication has helped with your chemical sensitivity issues? Do you get all over itching, headaches, nausea, sore skin, joint pain, fatigue etc when you are reacting to something? Have you found anything that helps to combat any of these symptoms, esp the itching if you have that?
    I am really worried tbh as apart from everything else, without tolerable skincare, my face and eyes become incredibly painful...
    I was also offered the therapy you spoke of by an environmental doctor but I can't afford it and the NHS here won't cover it...
    Have you tried any diet modifications to any effect?
    Someone in this thread said the oil from the inside out by eating oils but I've tried this and it doesn't help... My facial skin needs a physical barrier... :(
    Sorry for all the questions. I hope you don't mind. I'd love to hear from you if you are able to reply and if you, try the Merle Norman, how you get on (I wish the website would list the ingredients!)
    I see you are a Christian too... I will keep you in my prayers. With God's help I pray we will find something we can use...
    Take care. Thank you and God bless, Shelbo :)
  18. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

bumping this up - she is a special freind of mine and really needs help and advice.

Bunchy xxxx
  19. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

go to DHCcare.com
    They sell virgin olive oil, designed for use on your face. One of them is a cleanser and the other is a moistizer. they also sell mild soaps too....This company originated in Japan and made its way over to the west coast and is now selling nationwide. They have a catalog and are great with giving out samples.

i have normal to oily skin and their products were too much moisture for me but others with acne claimed to have improvements. If you are struggling with dry skin and need something simple, it doesnt get any simpler or more gentle than this. If you dont like the products, you can return them and get your money back.

I hope you find something to help your skin!
  20. marieloe

marieloe New Member

take 1 Tablespoon of flaxseed oil with lignans daily
    I use jojoba oil as a moisturizer on my face - added benefit is that it helps calm rosecia