MD in Sacramento, CA. familar with CFIDS????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brendasev, Jan 22, 2007.

1. brendasev

brendasev New Member

Does anyone know of a doctor in the Sacramento, California area that is familar with CFIDS and treatment?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Several of us go to Dr. Michael Powell in Sacramento, CA. Here is his web site with contact info.: http://www.fmtlc.com/contact.html

The description of the treatment protocol on the web site is somewhat outdated. Dr. Powell is constantly updating his protocol as he learns more, and so the treatment he uses is somewhat experimental. It also takes a lot of dedication and perseverance on the patient's part to stay on the protocol until results are seen--usually a year or so, but a lot of his patients do see much improvement.

It's not for everyone and doesn't work for everyone. A few patients I know found that the treatment program was hard on their bodies and didn't help them improve, and they've stopped the protocol. Others are doing so much better, they've been able to go back to their normal lives. I've plateaued at about 80% of normal, and I'm probably going to wean myself off the treatment in the next few months. I'm doing so much better than I was before I started seeing Dr. Powell--I was barely functioning at maybe 40%.

Anyway, you can scroll back through the posts in my profile. There are several that talk about the protocol in more detail. You can also do a search for Dr. Powell on the forum.

Good luck!
  3. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I go to Dr. Eric Ryll in Carmichael. He is a bit eccentric, his office is a mess but he's been working with CFS and FM patients for a very long time. Most of the time when I come in with a new article on treatment he has already tried it and tells me its success rate. If he hasn't heard about it he's willing to give it a go.

I really like him, patients come from all over to see him.

I will be looking at the other doc mentioned here, don't know what his protocol amounts to.

Hollie
  4. ETN

ETN New Member

I go to Dr.Powell's
    I would love to chat more

I live in Elk Grove and am 34 with 3 kids.

How are you doing on the protocol? I have had a heck of a time. I have been seeing them since Dec 1 2004 and I am still struggling and one of the patients that is NOT getting better. It's so frustrating.

:)
  5. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

In reading about Dr. Powell's protocol, hasn't the anti-viral approach (Valcyte, etc.) trumped his antibiotic approach?

I'm kind of turned off by his sale of supplements, DVDs, CDs, etc.

For those that he's helped, what part of his protocol helped most...the antibiotics? The stress homework? or what?

Hollie
  6. nancyann62

nancyann62 New Member

Sacramento is an HMO town and there are no doctors in any of them who specialize in CFIDS, FM, HHV6 and all the associated maladies surrounding these horrific problems. Dr. Powell has a protocol. If a patient wants
    one stop shopping and buys into the ideas, products, and plans, the feeling of being cared for could work. I
    know people who were told it was their fault they did
    not improve. Apparently these patients did not buy all the related items he has for sale. Sad, sad, sad.