MD question?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daisyrock3, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. daisyrock3

    daisyrock3 New Member

    I was curious as to what kind of doc most of you see for FM? I was thinking of a Rheumatologist,but not sure if that is necessary. I saw an endo last spring before dx, and he checked me for diabetes, thyroid, & cushings, all of which were neg except I am insulin resistant. Thanks for your input!!!!!
  2. boltchik

    boltchik New Member

    I see a nurse practitioner who specializes in fibro/CFS. She knows how to run all of the specialized tests for bloodwork. However, she has referred me to a rheumatologist because my rheumatoid factor came back positive. Anyways, she has a way of approaching it with natural supplements and prescriptions meds for the pain and anxiety. I am kind of bad about not following her directions though, because I hate taking pills. I have been so tired lately though that I am ready to jump into the program full force. Well, that's my input. So many people on this board see different kinds of doctors, so I am sure you will get lots of help! Take care, Kim :)
  3. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    Its funny when I think of this..

    I see a number of doctors. Family practitioner(who is great), Pain Specialist (Fibro), Infectious Disease Specialist (Epstein Barr Virus and possibly others), Nurse Practioner at Fibro and Fatigue Center (Bio Identical Hormones), Urologist (possible bladder problem), Gastroenterologist (gastritis and gallbladder disease).

    Most of the others doctors I see were referred by my Family Practitioner. All of the doctors get copies of all lab work done by the others.

  4. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    She sent me to a rheumy he diagnosed me ( I did not care for him at all)fired him.

    Now my GP and my neurologist take care of my FM and CFS.I see them every 3 months.

  5. FlowerMD

    FlowerMD New Member

    I was dx'ed with fibro by my primary care doctor who sent me to a pain specialist the 2 drs worked great for me until lately when my fibro went out of control, my pain dr has added a rhrumatologst who I see next month. the important thing I think is that all of our doctors get copies of all tests results and med lists which help them work together with our care.

    In Friendhip
  6. suz45

    suz45 New Member

    I was originally dx by a Internist that was a D.O., my neurologist agreed with his findings. At the present time due to a move to another state I am using the services of a Family Physician (MD), however one of his specialties are chronice condtions/disorders. He is open minded and has gone through my medical records from my two prevoius doctors. When I was in a really nasty myofascial pain flare over the past month he actually referred me to a Chiropractor, he thought that they could help more.

    My new chiro is very familiar with Myofascial pain syndrome and FMS and has been very helpful. My PCP put me on muscle relaxants for a short time until the chiro could start to ease the pain. I am now almost off any Med, except for the occasional Aleve, no prescriptions and my pain is decreasing and manageable.

    I'm not certain that one must see a "specialist" if there doctor is comfortable with dealing with these disorders. That is the first question I ask of all of the doctors I have seen.

    Hope this was helpful,

    In Wellness,


[ advertisement ]