Me again going from Paxil to Effexor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, May 22, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Well, I saw the psychiatrist today, and he did seem very nice and understanding. He didn't try to tell me all the pain was in my head. LOL.

He wants to switch me from Paxil, which I've been on for years to Effexor. He wrote out a schedule for me to taper off Paxil and onto Effexor. I am really nervous about doing this, because every time I have tried to wean off Paxil it has been a nightmare. I saw in my post yesterday about going to a psych someone else had this experience too. :(

I've got to do something though. Paxil is not cutting it any more and I am so depressed over my declining health.

At least I do have a contact person now, and I can call him if I have problems.
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Going from Paxil to Effexor is something I'd definitely get an opinion on. We all have different reactions, but Paxil would put me to sleep, and Effexor would wire the heck out of me.

So they were addressing different chemicals. When I was experimenting with all of the AD's years ago, I would only do the lowest pediatric dose to see what my reaction was.
    Never could tolerate any of them, so be careful.

LIGHT***********carole
  3. donna275

donna275 New Member

However, I had gone off Paxil probably 6 - 8 months before I started Effexor. Thought I'd try to be off of it. Paxil made me gain about 20 lbs. After a month, my weight started to come off and I am back to my "normal" weight. I started Effexor about two months ago and my weight has not increased and I am feeling soooo much better. And, Effexor does involve two different chemicals instead of just serotonin (sp?). I am so glad I finally decided to take it.

Donna
  4. Radar1

Radar1 New Member

I have never taken Paxil, my wife does, but I have been taking Effexor for several years. I was dx'd with ADD and didn't want to take the stuff that they had pushing on everyone so I tried St. Johns Wort. I had read that it was help for some people. I took it for several months, My wife said it was a godsend. I stopped taking it just to see if it was really working. My wife was just short of killing me, she was so frustrated.
    Ok It Worked!.
    Went to the family Doc. He put me on Effexor because it has some similar properties. It was and has been wonderful. They can call it an anti depresant, but I think its more of an antistupid.
    The only problem I have with it is that getting off of it has been very difficult the 2 times that I quit. It has to be done (at least by me) over a period of at least 2 months or I get horible electric shocks from my neck down.

The 2 times i did quit was to try and find out what this malady I have is. I am undiagnosed but feel very stongly that I have CFIDS. I am working hard to find out how to work the managed care problem.

5. mana4

mana4 New Member

I have been on Effexor xr for years Paxil made me ill....my mom loves Paxil and I can the good it has done for her. So everyone is different, one thing getting off Effexor or just missing a dose after your body has become dependant on it is like withrawl BIG TIME!!! So good luck!!! They say one of the beging side effects are uphoria but that goes away like all side efect :(
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I was on Paxil and all the others - i was on each about 3 days and about flew -----It was hideous. All tried to put me on strong doses in the beginning.

At Mayo Clinc they prescribed Effexor. i did it slowlyyyyy. This was on my own. My blood pressure went up some but my PCP gave me RX for it - way down now, The Effexor has been a life-saver for me!!! i feel like a human mentally now and has made me want to do thingns. Of course, because of pain, I don't do a lot but life is so much better.

Gentle Hugs

joan