ME/CFS Is the name officially changed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Feb 16, 2007.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I feel like I'm out of the loop here. I thought this was some sort of "recommendation" but I see Rich Carlson writing about it in the CFS newsletter in a way that makes me feel this is a done deal.

Is it? I would be overjoyed.
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Well its not official in the sense that the CDC and NIH have already adopted the name. However the IACFS is adding ME to its name. And if researchers begin to use it in their papers it will gain further acceptance here.

You also have to remember that a lot of other countries already us ME so were are just catching up.

I think ist is a much better name. Not just because it is more medical sounding but also because it places our DD firmly in the family of nuerological diseases. That makes it in the same class as Parkinsons, MS and Alziemers.

Of course ME is still pretty general and when the actual cause is found the name may change again or perhaps it will just be added to: Virus Induced Myalgic Encephalopathy. For the time being I'd rather tell people I have a neurological condition with symptoms similar to MS then say Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have people say they're tired too.

Shar