ME & FMS sufferers cognative disfunction, so why do so many post in terms most can't understand?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by fmfriend, Jun 14, 2014.

1. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

Deleted
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Soul* likes this.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I'm sure people will be willing to help you understand if there are specifics they posted that aren't clear. Some people try to help by copying and pasting text on here. Make sure to ask if things aren't clear. I agree, medical and scientific terms are hard to understand. Some have made their illness into a study and might not even be aware that others haven't got the same knowledge of terms. Everyone on here tries to help in their own way though. Thanks for speaking out!

Goes to google translate to find out what condescending means :p Not a regular word for me, don't worry I'm just teasing, and English isn't my first language.
  3. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Intrigued by your post I started to google a bit and there is an online site who translate complicated English into simplyfied english. Haven't tried it yet but am going to. Look for simplish to find it. Don't want to get into trouble for posting links on here. ;)

It might not be all to helpful though. I just posted part of your text there and cognative isn't recognized so not to confident that other terms will be. Will play around with it some more later. Those google folks should work on medical terms translator but they probably are to afraid they will get claims about it if miss translated... Pirate speak is much more usefull ;) (NOT) But fun though.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

fmfriend: You are so right. And, I am one of the perpetrators - for this I apologise. In my defense, as I suffer, like you, from serious cognitive dysfunction I find it hard to translate my scientific information into common lingo without taking a lot of time to do so. Funny thing is that I understand the science/medicine associated with the illness when reading it - I forget almost everything I read hours later. Which I never did before I got ill. It was the main reason I had to give up work, not the fatigue or pain.

However I will try a bit harder if and when I post more info.
    Thanks for the alert.
    Soul* likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Valid points, everyone. Ian, you have contributed so much here and we appreciate it.

One of the problems of looking up words or terms is that one has to spell the words correctly, not our strong suit either when we suffer cognitive issues. Oh well, some days, especially when I'm posting, I just slog through the best I can. It's amazing how we all seem to understand one another. It's the scientists we have problems with. My PCP has an IQ which is likely at the genius level. He loves to impart info to me but, half the time, I have no idea what he's talking about. Oh well, again, I slog through the best I can.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, FMFriend. It's a very valid point. If you need clarification, just ask. Our members come here to help.

Love, Mikie
  6. fmfriend

fmfriend Member