ME vs FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Apr 19, 2011.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Wondering about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Being diagnosed with FM and researching things, I ran across ME yesterday and did some reading up on it. Is there a major difference between ME and FM? Like one has something that the other doesnt?

I am still waiting to get into pain management for the two bulging discs in my back and the gynecologist for the fibroids I have. I am tired of the fibroids. I am in the bathroom 5+ times in the middle of the night over an 8 hr period and when I get up in the morning, I end up having to go potty so bad, I usually have to take a bath as soon as I get up............

All this is really not helping my depression!

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Teresa - ME is also known as CFS. There is a huge difference between ME and FM. ME is extreme exhaustion/fatigue and possible muscle pain, whereas FM is pain of tender points with possible fatigue.
  3. roge

roge Member

yes for some there can be a big difference between fm and me/cfs but for many the symptoms are so overlapping that one could be diagnosed with either of them. there was a study that showed 70% of those with fm could also be diagnosed with me/cfs. the big difference is that aerobic exercise in general and starting slowly and gradually increasing helps those with fm where as it can harm those with me/cfs.

that said, there are many with fm that get post exertional malaise after exercise as well but it is more so muscle and tendon pain than say with me/cfs it is more extreme fatigue and exhaustion. it is really hard to say as there are some with fm who get severe fatigue along with their pain and there are some with me/cfs who get severe pain along with their fatigue. also, me/cfs is likely to have more immune system issues like weak immune system and chronic infections as well as low blood pressure and dysautonomia more so than with fibro, although again that said, studies have shown autonomic dysfunction with fm as well. so as you can it is clear as mud.

some feel fm and me/cfs are the same disease but represent different subsets that there surely are with these diseases. i have both fm and me/cfs.

4. roge

roge Member

checked out what kjm sent and ya pretty good except for
    "If you don't have tender points, you don't have fibromyalgia"

this is not true. tender pts were never meant for diagnosis purposes but for research means. in general , yes those with fm will have tender pts but not all will have them and also, some days as our symptons fluctuate, we might have 2 tender points one day , while other days/times (ie. flare) we could have 14.

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

What is FM then if it isn't tender points?

>>>yes those with fm will have tender pts but not all will have them>>>

This statement doesn't make any sense.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Tender points are specific places on the body that are exceptionally sensitive to touch in people with fibromyalgia. I have never had this problem myself and don't have FM. I don't know the discipline of the doctor that told you that everyone has "tender points to one degree or another", however, I doubt that he/she specializes in FM.

Have you ever considered being re-evaluated for FM by a doctor that is more up-to-date on FM? Personally, I seriously question whether you really have FM as you don't seem to understand the complexities of it. From things that you have posted over the past few years it sounds much more like your pain problems are related to arthritis.