Meat and eggs... ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Ok, this is something I have always wondered about. Ever since I was a kid, I get sort of a 'sick' feeling when I eat red meat, including sort of a funny feeling in my head. Not a headache, but something that could *almost* be a headache. It's hard to explain!

The same thing happens if I eat more than one egg. It also happens if I eat too much chicken. I don't eat red meat anymore, but it still happens with the chicken (although it takes a lot MORE chicken to give me this 'sick' feeling). Therefore when I have chicken, I consciously try not to have too much of it.

Is this some kind of food allergy, or maybe even a sort of intolerance to too much protein (meat, eggs, chicken - all protein foods)? And would it have anything to do with having CFIDS or EBV???

Just wondering... (and does this happen to anyone else?)

Alison
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2002]
  2. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Ok, this is something I have always wondered about. Ever since I was a kid, I get sort of a 'sick' feeling when I eat red meat, including sort of a funny feeling in my head. Not a headache, but something that could *almost* be a headache. It's hard to explain!

The same thing happens if I eat more than one egg. It also happens if I eat too much chicken. I don't eat red meat anymore, but it still happens with the chicken (although it takes a lot MORE chicken to give me this 'sick' feeling). Therefore when I have chicken, I consciously try not to have too much of it.

Is this some kind of food allergy, or maybe even a sort of intolerance to too much protein (meat, eggs, chicken - all protein foods)? And would it have anything to do with having CFIDS or EBV???

Just wondering... (and does this happen to anyone else?)

Alison
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2002]
  3. caring

caring New Member

if I eat too much of it and eat it too often, it increases the pain of the fms.

I don't have that problem with the chicken or the eggs but I eat only the egg whites most of the time as I also have high LDL.

There must be some kind of a test somewhere to check on the protein level in your body or the intolerence but I'm not the one to tell you where to go for that, maybe a naturopath(sp).

Hopefully someone else that knows more than yours truly will come by and give you a better answer.

Blessings to you.
    pat
  4. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thanks for the reply - I hope that someone can shed further light on this. Perhaps it is totally unrelated to my CFS... Anyone else have problems with these foods?

Alison
  5. Karrot

Karrot New Member

Red meat is terrible for you. Most people's bodies can tolerate it to some extent, but overall red meat is something all of us could easily live without.

I only know this because my grandpa, father, and sister have cancer - red meat will actually help an existing tumor grow! Since I discovered this fact I have found out other little bits of information regarding unhealthy food. Egg yellows are bad for you, too. Another cancer diet no-no. If you are interested in other unhealthy foods that can be omitted from your diet you can visit Dr. Mercola's website and look at his diet plan. http://www.mercola.com/ I found some very interesting information there.

Hope this helps!

Karrot
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

are NOT bad for you. They are nature's food and if unaltered are good for you in moderation, as are vegy's and fruits. Could be you are sensitive to protien. I get the same symptoms as you when I eat starches and sugars, so that means I am sensitive to those things. I thrive on meat and eggs and have never had a problem with them unless I eat too much!

Marilyn :)
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

If you eat organically raised beef, and organic, free-range eggs, you aren't getting the garbage you get in conventional products. But, if you have an inflammatory condition, these two things can exacerbate the problem, and that is why some of you notice a flair. I find that because I consume 2-3 fish oil capusules daily, I can eat red meat and eggs with no problems. (Fish oil is an anti-inflammatory and from all I've read and been told by my dr. almost everyone, with or withouth CFS/FM, should take it; if you can't stomach it try linseed oil/flax seed oil.) I eat two eggs daily and my cholesterol is now lower than its ever been, even lower than when I wasn't eating eggs daily...go figure! So much for what the mainstream experts say.

Annette
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2002]
  8. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I believe that red meat has been linked with certain cancers, specifically prostate cancer. It's also notoriously difficult to digest. But anyways, my new theory is perhaps not that I'm sensitive to protein, but sulphur. I was looking it up, and meat, eggs and chicken all contain a lot of sulphur - maybe that's it?

Either way, is this sort of sensitivity (either to protein or to sulphur) all a part of having CFS/EBV? I'm just wondering as this has affected me since I was a kid - but I didn't get CFS/EBV until I was in my 20s.

Alison
  9. motg

motg New Member

I am not able to eat any meat without very bad stomach pain. My DR. feals that I no long have the ability to digest it properly. I don't know if this helps but just adding my 2 cents worth
  10. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

and I have CFIDS & FM so I've learned to live without them. I'm not sure what's in them that cause me to flare-up but chicken/turkey do not do that so I think it's the fat content. The feeling you get may be because the fat clogs up your arteries - that's my theory because I used to also feel a bit quezy after eating anything with high fat content or rich foods like cheesecake...my biggest weakness...but I still have a piece of the sugarfree low-fat kind now and then.

You may have a protein problem though and their are blood tests for that. All kinds of sensitivities are common symptoms so you are not alone on that issue!!

BTW, I'm not familiar with EBV - what is that?

Good luck & warmest regards.
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

EBV = Epstein Barr Virus

Almost everyone has had it and carries it in their system. We can have it and not even know it!

Marilyn
  12. ali-may

ali-may New Member

It's definitely not the fat content - even when I was a kid I refused to eat any visible fat that was on the meat. I no longer eat red meat, and with chicken I cook it without any skin or fat on it. So, it's not that - but thanks for the suggestion. It's good to have some input from you guys!

Alison
  13. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I forgot to write this in my last post. I think you're definitely right about the fat making you queasy when you eat meat, because for one thing, fat is greasy. :p And it sits very heavily in your stomach - that's why if you eat fat, you feel full and satisfied (for example when you eat KFC! Mmm, yummy. :D)

Alison
  14. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Protein is the hardest food to digest, even with the best stomach....beef takes long enough to digest, but pork wins the prize. Enzymes break down the foods and are also anti-inflammatories. There are dr.s who use enzyme therapy for cancer treatment, as well as for FM, etc. (The acid found in beef and eggs if called arachidonic acid ?sp.)

Annette
  15. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I really must try fish oil. I used it once before for dry skin, it was amazing. I've also recently developed Raynaud's Disease (bad circulation to my fingers - they turn white at the slightest hint of cold), and fish oil is supposed to be a good treatment for that.

Alison
  16. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Been reading so much about the chemicals, fertilizers on grains, herbicides and pesticides used on what is FED to our food supply. Also, what antibiotics are given to them, etc. It definately has had an effect on us...also, non organic foods are robbed of nutrients because the soil has lost this in decades of farming the same land. I remember reading some of this has even affected the rate of which our kids are reaching puberty, especially breast developement. If you are sensitive to some chemicals in these products, it could be related???Just a thought. I am finding lots of sensitivities (allergies?) with food and other chemicals now that my immune system seems to be shot. Am ready for an elimination diet but don't know WHERE to start. It's scary that the very things we take in to sustain us could be hurting our health...or in some cases of cancer---killing us. Cigarettes, foods, chemicals all around us....who knew the destruction?????
  17. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Marilyn,
    I also have the symptoms, but with too much sugar & starch. I seem to feel better when I eat a higher protein diet. That's what I've been doing & it seems to help a bit. Protein helps to build muscle tissue. dolsgirl
  18. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

Hi Alison - when I started taking all my meds and supplements I found that I could no longer stomach red meat. I told my Dr. about it and she said . . . so what's the problem. I am now having a cholesterol problem so not eating red meat has been a plus. My once a month cravings for a big ole greasy hamburger have completely vanished and I actually don't miss it at all. In fact I eat very little poultry or pork at all.
  19. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses! It's really helpful to read other people's experiences - sounds like I do have some kind of protein sensitivity, along with the fact that meat is hard to digest. Thanks!

Alison